Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Sadogatake Trip to Israel Chronicles

candles? soft lights? the accidental touching of shoe and zori under the table? :-D Or something 'more' ;-)

Just some food and a LOT of good looking ladies, and a LOT of media.

Good stuff. When are they coming back?

Thank you.

...tomorrow, since I'm dead..
;-)

Hopefully not! :-D

(Applauding...) Great pics! (Laughing...) It looks like everyone is having a great time. Hang in there, you can catch up on your rest after they leave! Just about everyone here would love to trade places with you. Enjoy everything with them while you can. (Sign of approval)

Sorry for lagging with the stories, but things are really hectic here, tight schedules and little sleep. Yesterday, we went to Jerusalem-the whole Wailing Wall, Via Dolorosa, Christian holy sites, Mount Scopus routine. Everywhere they go, traffic stops. People just stare, and then rush up to them with their cell phones to get their pictures taken with them. Seeing Osh, Mickey and the lads wearing a yarmulka and sticking notes in the wall was a sight to behold...

Every one of the rikishi,(that's everyone...) is more than obliging and patiently gets photographed. It was very unnaturally hot in Jerusalem yesterday, where it's usually around a cool 22 degrees C at this time of the year. It was 32 yesterday.. but everyone braved the heat and did a lot of walking.

In the afternoon, I went with Kotomitsuki, Kotomisen and Kotoyutaka to the TV studios for a live interview on "Yatzpan", a Jay Leno/Letterman clone, who is very popular here. He is famous for being cynical and sarcastic and for making fun of his interview-ees (is that a word??). I had a great chance to chat with them, especially Mickey, while waiting for our turn.

And yes, I told him about the "Guess the Kotomitsuki" game run by some Irish bloke. He seemed to be really flattered. I asked him to enter a guess. He did not say no..We shall see.

The interview started with Yatzpan cracking some "fatman' jokes, but they were quite tame. Then, Misen and Yutaka proceeded to show some keiko moves, in their mawashi, the first time a "real" mawashi was seen in Israel. I asked them to do the moves in a particular order, culminating, of course, with the ultimate show-stopper, matawari. The shiko was awesome. Yatzpan suddenly had a look of wonder on his face. Shikiri, Suri-ashi, and then matawari. At this point, the crowd went wild. From this point on, Yatzpan's tone of voice completely changed to one of awe and amazement, and he couldn't stop smiling till the end of the interview, and of course, no more "fatman" jokes.. Then he called everyone watching to come to the show and not miss this "amazing opportunity".

Afterwards, the guys were hungry, so we went to a really "in" restaurant bar where all the models and celebs hang out. When we arrived, no less than 4 different TV station crews were waiting,. Hey!! This is Sumo!! In Israel?? In two short days, the rikishi managed to cause quite an interest here. We ate some strange stuff, and the tired guys went home to sleep for a few hours- early wake up call- meeting with the President (going on as I type) in Jerusalem, from which I excused myself.

In a few hours, there will be a training session on the beach with kids, a tug-of -war, (rikishi against 40 kids), and general mayhem. I will be there and hope to get a few pictures.

Pictures from yesterday will be posted soon.

Edited by Kintamayama

Good stuff. When are they coming back?

Thank you.

They are leaving here on Friday morning, so they should be there Saturday night.

Great report Moti. They would not have found a better host in Israel.

BTW, how did you get roped into chaperoning the rikishis?

Great report Moti. They would not have found a better host in Israel.

BTW, how did you get roped into chaperoning the rikishis?

Simple. When you're the only one in the country who follows Sumo, eventually, someone will approach you..

Great pictures, Moti and a great experience.

If jealousy wasn't a mortal sin I would become green with envy (Laughing...)

Ahhhm... (Laughing...)

any way to load it down?

Today started bright and early with a trip to Jerusalem where they visited the Israeli President. They surprised everyone when Mickey and Shougiku had an apparently lively bout which ended with Mickey throwing Shougiku down on the hard floor. I wasn't there though, since I needed the morning to recuperate...

2:45 pm-35 C in the shade, humidity 70%, the guys hit the beach where they had some sessions with kids, throwing them around and stuff. Loads of pictures and a cool Osh video will follow. The rikishi, who are on a tight schedule, finally got some free time. They hit the water and stayed there for about half an hour, picking up kids and throwing them into the water on the way. Tug of war with about 20 kids, where the rope snapped, sending everyone to the sand. Video exists and will be uploaded tomorrow.

In the evening, a reception at the Japanese Ambassador's residence. Great food-the guys finaly ate some food they actually know. Then, I realized that with all the photo taking, I have no pictures of me with them. Come to think of it, I have no pictures of myself at all from this visit. That was soon amended, as my wife took a whole lot of them.

Got back an hour ago. Tomorrow is the big day, with the main event.

I will be filling you in on exactly what happened. I have the torikumi in hand-it will be a 12 man knockout tournament- 6, then a three- way tomoesen.

PS-The most sought -after people for photos:

1. Osh

2. Kotokanyuu's two baby sons, 2 years old and one year old.

3. Oyakata

Edited by Kintamayama

PS-The most sought -after people for photos:

1. Osh

2. Kotokanyuu's two baby sons, 2 years old and one year old.

3. Oyakata

4. Kintamayama (Birthday!)

Love seeing the pics of you with the guys!!! I can't feel anything except happiness that you get to experience this! Toooooo cool!!! :'-( Thanks for sharing!!!

Now if you could get a pic of Osh checking out the Sumo Forum... (Sign of approval)

Moti-san

Thanks for sharing!!! (Birthday!)

頑張ってください!

(Birthday!)

Is Kotoryuu-oyakata there or is he already completely out of the business?

And how do they call you, Kintamayama?

(Birthday!)

Is Kotoryuu-oyakata there or is he already completely out of the business?

And how do they call you, Kintamayama?

The only other Oyakata is Shiratama Oyakata (ex-Kototsubaki) who is a huge, really nice man who is in charge of "getting things done quickly and quietly"..

They call me Moti. My shikona has never been mentioned..

My shikona has never been mentioned..

I think it should. They'd get a laugh out of it I'm sure. I've always used puns etc in Japanese/with japanese people and after the initial incredulity and thinking I've madea mistake they usually work out from my grin that yes that was the intended meaning!!

My shikona has never been mentioned..

I think it should. They'd get a laugh out of it I'm sure. I've always used puns etc in Japanese/with japanese people and after the initial incredulity and thinking I've madea mistake they usually work out from my grin that yes that was the intended meaning!!

Oh, definitely, but I'm saving it for my wedding might.. I managed to floor them, when they saw three really good looking girls in bikinis. I said;

"Tadaima no kimarite wa kubinage, kubinage de onnanoko no kachi". They are still reeling from the joke..

It looks to me as if Osh whacks one of the kids quite hard at around the 25 second mark of the first vid....

2 videos online:

Edited by Jejima

It looks to me as if Osh whacks one of the kids quite hard at around the 25 second mark of the first vid....
He probably understands a bit of Hebrew... (Birthday!)