Sakura

Hatsu 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

No monoii on Sadanoumi vs Ishiura?  On the slowmo, it was awfully close.  I thought Ishiura's foot touched down first.  

38 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Reports told it only 5 were on the bout.

You can check that yourself by counting them from the kensho list-up on the Japanese torikumi sheet you (can) get at the ticket gate (foreigners usually have to ask for it).

I had the sheet, and I believe there were many more than five prepared. I could be mistaken though and if so, I stand corrected.

Edited by Kaninoyama

14 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

No monoii on Sadanoumi vs Ishiura?  On the slowmo, it was awfully close.  I thought Ishiura's foot touched down first.  

Sadanoumi was completely airborne as a result of the throw before Ishiura stepped out. The announcers also mentioned that the top of Sadanoumi's foot touched the clay.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Benihana said:

Kudos to Enho for going head on, but it was stupid.

Enho tried to lift up Tochinoshin, LOL.   It probably gave the idea to Tochinoshin ;-).

It paid off that Enho had trained with Shohozan last jungyo - and managed to get his first win even in keiko against him then.

On 03/12/2019 at 20:19, Akinomaki said:

Enho is eager at  keiko and for the first time - at least in training - has one win against Shohozan

Edited by Akinomaki

Enho gets his revenge on Shohozan but not before getting slapped on his face 4 times by the latter.    Next time, he should duck ;-).

1 minute ago, robnplunder said:

Next time, he should duck ;-).

That would be lame. :-P

• Haha 1

Oh, this basho Shodai forgot that he is Shodai - maybe like Asanoyama he did quit something and is on the next level now

Takayasu looks like he’s on his way south. Two more losses is all he can spare now over the remaining 10 days ...

What a win by Daieisho!    I like his chances at KK.   

11 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Oh, this basho Shodai forgot that he is Shodai - maybe like Asanoyama he did quit something and is on the next level now

Maybe, he is taking special vitamins ... 

18 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

That would be lame. :-P

I am trying to come up with a snappy line on this .... still thinking ... still trying ...  

• Haha 1

Terutsuyoshi, Kagayaki and Shodai already have their 2nd basho now of being in the lead early mid basho - I still expect all 3 to crumble later on, but on the 2nd try, one of them might keep on to crumble only in the very end.

I expect a 12-3 yusho at best.

1 minute ago, Kaninoyama said:

Endo joining Abi in putting a damper on Asanoyama's Ozeki promotion hopes.

I think it was a long shot for Asanoyama to get promoted after this basho.   That long shot just got loooooonger.   Endo looks really impressive.   Maybe, this is his basho.   

1 minute ago, robnplunder said:

Endo looks really impressive.   Maybe, this is his basho.   

Sure looks that way, considering he had Takakeisho on the brink of defeat yesterday.

The hand of Goeido was early - no kabaite - if he can't even win against Okinoumi, his ozeki days draw to an end.

Goeido was lucky to have the most brilliant chief shimpan, Musoyama - else he'd have a sashi-chigae loss now.

Edit: didn't help him though

Edited by Akinomaki

10 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Great comments, although I don't know if Kintamayama would take kindly to your characterisation of Ikioi... 

In Hebrew we have a saying- לא מראים לחמור חצי עבודה

• Haha 2

Goeido lost twice today, his chance of remaining in Ozeki rank dwindling.

11 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Terutsuyoshi, Kagayaki and Shodai already have their 2nd basho now of being in the lead early mid basho - I still expect all 3 to crumble later on, but on the 2nd try, one of them might keep on to crumble only in the very end.

I expect a 12-3 yusho at best.

My bet is for Kagayaki to crumble first.   I like Endo & Takakeisho's chances more than the aforementioned three.   

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Next Ozeki, as I always say.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Of course, if Takakeisho takes it that puts him on a legit Yokozuna run. It’s been a very long time since we had one of those (Kisenosato was promoted without the customary yusho to his name, of course). 

You mean the customary 2nd yusho in a row - the jun-yusho put Kise in a legit Yokozuna run

Edited by Akinomaki

3 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

You mean the customary 2nd yusho in a row

Yes, I was just in the process of correcting myself and adding that Goeido in Kyushu 2016 was the last time an Ozeki went into a basho aiming for a second yusho. I guess that’s not all that long really, but it feels like forever!

Edited by Eikokurai

8 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

-Like Hakuho, Kakuryo's kyujo became a formality the moment he was shoved out of the ring, but I'm happy he provided me another opportunity to toss my zabuton.

As much as I like Kakuryu, the next time he competes, it should be a "do-or-die-basho" for him. Let's wait and see what the YDC thinks about that, but a stong demand for retirement - in case he will fail again next time - seems legit here.

36 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

The hand of Goeido was early - no kabaite - if he can't even win against Okinoumi, his ozeki days draw to an end.

Goeido was lucky to have the most brilliant chief shimpan, Musoyama - else he'd have a sashi-chigae loss now.

Edit: didn't help him though

Kimura Tamajiro was equally lucky to have Musoyama call a torinaoshi redo!  No gyoji wants a sashi-chigae.  

Everyone was watching Goeido's hand drop out first on the slow motion replay, but if you watch it carefully, Okinoumi's foot leaves the surface of the ring (i.e., already falling/lost) before Goeido's hand drops out.  In some circles, Tamajiro's call should have been upheld.  

One can't really say that Goeido was robbed.  He was given a second chance after all.

If his losing ways continue, Goeido is headed for demotion from Ozeki.  What's the significance of that?  That will mean four separate Ozeki demotions in consecutive tournaments.  Just goes to show how the top ranks are being decimated in preparation for the (Hakuho-less) era.

It would be a real dilemma if Goeido drops out of Ozeki, and one of the Yokozunas (probably not Hakuho) decides to retire.  Who would they promote to Ozeki?  Asanoyama is starting to look very iffy, and probably won't get the number of wins he needs to be considered for promotion.  The NSK probably would flat out refuse to let either Yokozuna retire at this critical point in sumo history!!!!

Edited by Amamaniac

I think we can read too much into Kakuryu’s performance. He reported having a fever which he may still be feeling the effects of. He can recover from that. The previous two basho he was dealing with the death of his Oyakata and the heya move. That noticeably affected his concentration. Go back three basho though and he’s put up 14-1, taking his sixth yusho and capping a three-basho streak of double digits.

5 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

I think we can read too much into Kakuryu’s performance. 

Agreed.   The remaining two Yokozuna keep taking another yusho after kyujo.   Kak's bad basho run doesn't even come close to Kisenosato's before he intai.