Sign in to follow this  
Asojima

Nagoya 2014 Discussion Thread

I do have to point out something: Osunaraashi has been receiving a lot of hype this basho, and Endo being noted as a disappointment. I'm the first to admit I'm on board both bandwagons. However, they both now stand 4-5 record, with Endo winning their encounter. It occurs to me that even quicker than a sumo match is the judgement of the sumo follower.

I do have to point out something: Osunaraashi has been receiving a lot of hype this basho, and Endo being noted as a disappointment. I'm the first to admit I'm on board both bandwagons. However, they both now stand 4-5 record, with Endo winning their encounter. It occurs to me that even quicker than a sumo match is the judgement of the sumo follower.

Two VERY different 4-5 records. Osunaraashi has faced 3 Yokozuna, 1 Ozeki, and 1 Sekiwake who is on an Ozeki run. Endo has faced no one ranked higher than Osunaarashi.

• Like 7

For me, what's impressive is the fact that Osunaraashi made his sumo debut a little over 2 years ago (unlike Endo who was a former college sumo star). And since his debut he has steadily risen up the banzuke and then went on to beat two Yokozuna in his first try. And he also gave Hakuho a decent scrap. Some may say that Hakuho was toying with him or testing him; but its also possible that Hakuho was a bit cautious after having seen his Yokozuna brethren fall to the brash young Egyptian. And the fact that he's competing well in this basho while also fasting for Ramadan is pretty remarkable.

I also like Osuna's enthusiasm for the sport. The guy seems to truly love sumo.

• Like 4

Looks like the Kyokai thinks it's time for Kykutenho to leave Makuuchi.

Despite his poor 3-5 result, they decided to throw him at Jokoryu on Day 9, entering the match with a 5-3 score (with Jokoryu holding a 4-1 advantage in matches against Kyokutenho).

Tomorrow, the now 3-6 veteran Kyokutenho has to face 7-2 Chiyomaru, anything but an easy task either.

Kyokutenho needs to win at least 3 of his remaining 6 bouts to stay in Makuuchi for sure for the upcoming Aki basho, where he will be 40 years old.

Except for a kyujo-related brief 1 basho stint in Juryo 7 years ago at the Nagoya 2007 basho, he managed to stay in the Makuuchi ranks for more than 15(!) years, highlighted of course by his only ever Makuuchi Yusho at the Natsu 2012 basho.

Although he looks a bit out of sync this basho, I hope he can make use of his tremendous experience and extend his stay in Makuuchi a bit longer.

Indeed it seems like a tall order for him. He definitely showed some gambarizing against Jokoryu though, even getting a good yori-charge going. Maybe that indicates that he's not willing to leave that easily.

Looks like the Kyokai thinks it's time for Kykutenho to leave Makuuchi.

Despite his poor 3-5 result, they decided to throw him at Jokoryu on Day 9, entering the match with a 5-3 score (with Jokoryu holding a 4-1 advantage in matches against Kyokutenho).

Tomorrow, the now 3-6 veteran Kyokutenho has to face 7-2 Chiyomaru, anything but an easy task either.

Kyokutenho needs to win at least 3 of his remaining 6 bouts to stay in Makuuchi for sure for the upcoming Aki basho, where he will be 40 years old.

Except for a kyujo-related brief 1 basho stint in Juryo 7 years ago at the Nagoya 2007 basho, he managed to stay in the Makuuchi ranks for more than 15(!) years, highlighted of course by his only ever Makuuchi Yusho at the Natsu 2012 basho.

Although he looks a bit out of sync this basho, I hope he can make use of his tremendous experience and extend his stay in Makuuchi a bit longer.

Indeed it seems like a tall order for him. He definitely showed some gambarizing against Jokoryu though, even getting a good yori-charge going. Maybe that indicates that he's not willing to leave that easily.

Kyokutenho is a big capital for sumo, and I hope he can pull through and stay in Makuuchi, even for just one more basho.

• Like 1

Two VERY different 4-5 records. Osunaraashi has faced 3 Yokozuna, 1 Ozeki, and 1 Sekiwake who is on an Ozeki run. Endo has faced no one ranked higher than Osunaarashi.

Osunaarashi is under little to no pressure (compared to Endo) and he has Allah on his side.

Furthermore, he didn't really beat two Yokozuna, they defeated themselves. And he also looks looks like he's headed for injury city.

Endo flows and does beautiful sumo. Osunaarashi just wants to win.

Yes, they are different 4-5 records. Even more certain is that they are VERY different rikishi.

Furthermore, he didn't really beat two Yokozuna, they defeated themselves.

If you honestly believe that about the Kakuryu bout, you must be watching a different basho. Kakuryu went for a right-hand grip change, and a split-second later Osunaarashi went for the exact same grip change. Then he had a sukuinage position, and his greater raw strength enabled him to throw Kakuryu sideways and past him, ultimately for the okuridashi push out. It was good sumo.

• Like 2

If you honestly believe that about the Kakuryu bout, you must be watching a different basho. Kakuryu went for a right-hand grip change, and a split-second later Osunaarashi went for the exact same grip change. Then he had a sukuinage position, and his greater raw strength enabled him to throw Kakuryu sideways and past him, ultimately for the okuridashi push out. It was good sumo.

It was good sumo but I feel that Kakuryu should have won that bout, nonetheless.

It was good sumo but I feel that Kakuryu should have won that bout, nonetheless.

So if Kakuryu lost to "good sumo", how did "defeat himself"?

Depends on how quickly you get aroused or disappointed I suppose. I tend to wait until at least day 10 and preferably until the end to judge. Same goes for initial reactions on Terunofuji. I still expect him to finish MK or maximum 8-7 KK.

So if Kakuryu lost to "good sumo", how did "defeat himself"?

It wasn't ugly or dirty. No one got their head caved-in.

And furthermore, Endo's opponents are all highly motivated by the kensho money.

And furthermore, Endo isn't impressed the slightest way by all the money at stake... sure. Dream well.

Is Osunaarashi really 22 years old? Is his paperwork legit?

Honestly...how many 22 year olds are as bald?

At this rate, he will look like Telly Sevalas in two to three years.

And furthermore, Endo isn't impressed the slightest way by all the money at stake... sure. Dream well.

Motivated in the same way? Day after day?

• Like 2

Given the bouts Osunaarashi gets at M3,and particularly first time at this level,8-7KK would be a real achievement.Whereas Endo would be expected to make 8-7KK as a minimum.

• Like 1

day 10 lower division highlights

Jk : Nakaishi (2-2) - Takunoumi (3-1), there was a rematch and both were interesting to watch

Jk : Otaki (2-2) - Amano (2-2), one of these aspires a bowling career, can you spot who ? ssss....trike !

Jk : Noborofuji (3-1) - Watanabe (3-1), wow, wouldn't expect such thing in Jonokuchi !

Jd- : Yasui (2-2) - Higohikari (2-2), especially for the strange situation of a rikishi lying injured during a mono-ii

Jd~: Gojinryu (3-1) - Satonofuji (3-1), the latter also turning into one of my favourite low-ranked rikishi !

Jd+: Takamai (4-0) - Shodai (4-0), did Takamai stand a chance ?

Sd- : Mizuta (4-0) - Tokinowaka (4-0), just another easy hurdle for Mizuta ?

Sd+: Fujinoumi (1-3) - Musashikuni (1-3), the Hawaiian on his way to his first ever MK ?

Ms- : Towanoyama (1-3) - Oniarashi (1-3), former Maegashira vs former Juryo

Ms- : Ikeru (3-1) - Tochinosato (3-1), strange technique that is

Ms~: Kaito (1-3) - Koba (1-3), what the hell just happened ?

Ms~: Akinokawa (2-2) - Nishikigi (2-2), why did they return that decision ?

Ms~: Takatoshi (3-1) - Yamatofuji (3-1), definitely mono-ii day today
Ms~: Bungonishi (0-4) - Fujimoto (0-4), yes even another one :-)

Ms+: Keitenkai (3-1) - Kotomisen (3-1), too much inspirated by Ikeru ?
J+ : Masunoyama (2-7) - Fujiazuma (4-5), they were 4-4 head-to-head, with this nice pattern

J+ : Sotairyu (3-6) - Tokushinho (3-6), who would have expected such a finish ?

Edited by Vikanohara

With Ozan out and the Komusubi struggling, Osunaarashi might end up as Sekiwake in Aki.

Before O-3 went 9-jo, i already thaught that Osunaarashi was competing with the 2 Kazes for the two likely to be vacated Komusubi slots - but I didn't want to jinx him. :-)

Well, the wind has changed and the sand is blowing in Boody's own eyes. Can't escape a jinx...

My college roommate was about that bald at age 20. It happens to an unfortunate few.

Closed fist in the kachiage though by the Egyptian. Not looking nice. Some very questionable AWOL performance by the judges the last two days - Kyokutenho definitely had has hand in the mage of Chiyomaru today and Aoiyama's all over Ikio's yesterday.

Great fight by Takayasu.

Don't know what Kakuryu was thinking in his bout with Goeido.

I realize that Goeido is on an "Ozeki run", but damn...

I wasn't far off that bald at 22. I'm like a bowling ball now

• Like 2