Sign in to follow this  
Manekineko

Homosexuality in Ozumo

Welcome aboard Celeborn!

There is one little paragraph about homosexuality in ozumo in Lora Sharnoff's book. The main message is the already mentioned one that gay rikishi would have to be really brave to come out of the closet in such a manly world. It also says that it was widely rumoured that one unnamed ozeki was bisexual in 1980s so it isn't completely unknown phenomenon.

welcome aboard and now that the sumo forum has a gay member i say it is time for the sumo world to have one too ....

welcome aboard and now that the sumo forum has a gay member i say it is time for the sumo world to have one too ....

Oh, I'm quite sure this forum has more than one gay member. It just now has one that openly said he is.. Welcome aboard Celebron, and that French sumo E-zine is the most formidable Sumo related piece of work not in Japanese out there, Internet or not..

I've said that many times, and will say it many more..

It also says that it was widely rumoured that one unnamed ozeki was bisexual in 1980s so it isn't completely unknown phenomenon.

Wonder who that is.. Well, it's got to be Wakashimazu? No?

MongolPower -- you may want to do a bit of reading to further your understanding of these issues in 3rd world countries. For example:

BBC Article on Gay Rights in Zimbabwe

Gays in Africa (book review and historical perspectives)

Why it's practiced but not celebrated in Africa

World Conference on Anti-Gay and Homophobic Behavior in Africa needed?

The list goes on and on, it's easy to Google for more. Your remarks were completely wrong and unfortunate.

And no, I'm not gay, I'm quite happy with my gorgeous fiancee who's a woman, but I wanted to post the above nonetheless to raise some awareness ;)

MongolPower -- you may want to do a bit of reading to further your understanding of these issues in 3rd world countries. For example:

BBC Article on Gay Rights in Zimbabwe

Gays in Africa (book review and historical perspectives)

Why it's practiced but not celebrated in Africa

World Conference on Anti-Gay and Homophobic Behavior in Africa needed?

The list goes on and on, it's easy to Google for more. Your remarks were completely wrong and unfortunate.

And no, I'm not gay, I'm quite happy with my gorgeous fiancee who's a woman, but I wanted to post the above nonetheless to raise some awareness ;)

Good man Yoav - excellent links B-) (Enjoying a beer...)

MP - read and learn as obviously the education system you went through was garbage and underfunded in areas you now display outstanding ignorance.

Should we debate how 'education is not practiced' in your part of the world because they don't have the money and education is only for the rich?

Yoavoshimaru!

Thank you for the links! Which proves my point!

Nobody wastes resources trying to answer "Why heterosexuals are heterosexual?" But so many heterosexuals are pretending to be sensitive and trying to answer the question "Why homosexuals are homosexual?" Why heterosexuals are writing so much about homosexuality? Because they think homosexuality is something to gossip about or out of norm or whatever their weird reason. AND My conclustion is heterosexuals preaching about homosexuality has time, money, and resources to waste around! I don't need another bored heterosexual preaching about homosexuality!

Adachinoryu!

You act like you know everything about everyone and every subject! You know nothing about homosexuality! There is only one member in this forum who has proper knowledge about homosexuality!

Yoavoshimaru!

Thank you for the links! Which proves my point!

Nobody wastes resources trying to answer "Why heterosexuals are heterosexual?" But so many heterosexuals are pretending to be sensitive and trying to answer the question "Why homosexuals are homosexual?" Why heterosexuals are writing so much about homosexuality? Because they think homosexuality is something to gossip about or out of norm or whatever their weird reason. AND My conclustion is heterosexuals preaching about homosexuality has time, money, and resources to waste around! I don't need another bored heterosexual preaching about homosexuality!

Adachinoryu!

You act like you know everything about everyone and every subject! You know nothing about homosexuality! There is only one member in this forum who has proper knowledge about homosexuality!

(Blushing...) Mong - you are talking through your arse - which could be indicative of your fear of homosexuality.

Oh, and regards your comment to myself - I do boy, I do. Rereading your own comments would prove such

Mong - you are talking through your arse - which could be indicative of your fear of homosexuality.

Oh, and regards your comment to myself - I do boy, I do. Rereading your own comments would prove such

Yeah you do brit boy!

All this talk about how manly sumo is reminds me of those pictures floating around the internet of Musoyama and a couple other rikishi standing around naked chatting. My cousin who likes to give me a hard time about following sumo sent them to me a year or so ago. So I am guessing that with all the sumo-heads in this forum and all the random sumo pictures that show up in this forum that some of you guys must have those. Those pics don't paint the tough-guy manly "vomit blood"(from taka's quote) image that you guys all seem to have of the sport. I like to think that I am comfortable in my masculinity, but I am still not going to hangout (no pun intended) in the locker room chatting naked with my friends.

Also, be real! Being a San Franciscan I can tell you that my gaydar is revealing that: A bunch of guys living in close quarters for years on end, bathing with each other, rubbing each other down, doing one another's hair...sounds pretty gay to me!! Couple that with what Celeborn states about the statistics and it's nearly a sure thing.

Oh yeah...there are bound to be gays in sumo!! My guess is a lot more than we all imagine.

I am sure to hear replies about how the Japanese are more comfortable with nudity and their bodies, etc...

I always find it funny when a person feels like they have to reassure everyone else that they are hetero. It reminds me of when people say "I like black people...Some of my best friends are black."

All this talk about how manly sumo is reminds me of those pictures floating around the internet of Musoyama and a couple other rikishi standing around naked chatting.  My cousin who likes to give me a hard time about following sumo sent them to me a year or so ago.  So I am guessing that with all the sumo-heads in this forum and all the random sumo pictures that show up in this forum that some of you guys must have those.  Those pics don't paint the tough-guy manly "vomit blood"(from taka's quote) image that you guys all seem to have of the sport.

The picture with Musoyama and friends was fake, wasn't it?

I like to think that I am comfortable in my masculinity, but I am still not going to hangout (no pun intended) in the locker room chatting naked with my friends. 
I am sure to hear replies about how the Japanese are more comfortable with nudity and their bodies, etc...

Don't know about Japanese comfortability, but there are probably cultural differences ... Personally, I can't say that I agree with you about the locker room. You should go to Finland and take a sauna. B-) (Well, we have them in Sweden too, but I would still recommend Finland for the Real Thing.) (Applauding...)

All this talk about how manly sumo is reminds me of those pictures floating around the internet of Musoyama and a couple other rikishi standing around naked chatting.

I don't see whats so odd about that. It happens in all American sports. Heck, they even have the media in there chatting with them while they're stark naked. Whats the big deal? (Applauding...)

Oh come on!

Don't be stupid...

There is is a fairly constant number of homosexuals in all walks of life.

In Sumo, and indeed Japan,it is not a big deal as people are not bound by Biblical ideals.

You do or you don't, and nobody cares much,and why the fuck would you?...

What a stupid waste of space(whoever started this thread should be ashamed).

There we go again. Mr. Know-It-All having spasms again. At least you don't misspell a four letter word.

Moderator Notice
Katsu, please take the time to familiarize yourself with our rules. The link can be found on the lower right corner of most pages on Sumo Forum. In the meantime, feel free to continue your discussion in the new topic split from this 8-year-old discussion.

Normative rules for members

2. Abstain from replying to old threads. If you wish to continue discussing about a subject whose thread has withered more than two months ago, create a new topic and remind others in your opening post that this was discussed earlier but you wish to offer some new aspect to the matter. Edited by Otokonoyama