Sign in to follow this  
Peterao

0-2

Well, surely you all realize that no is more shocked than I that our Yokozuna has started out the basho at 0-2. He doesn't appear to be injured...but he also doesn't appear to be anything like the Asashoryu who has dominated basho in the past.

I don't see any apparent injuries, other than the "wink wink" type he may soon suffer that will keep him out of action for an estimated two months. Have the yaocho allegations really affected his psyche to such an extent?

Just out of curiousity, has anyone in recent times won the yusho after an 0-2 start?

Sensationally, two losses at the start of a basho.

Had he ever such a bad start in his time as a Yokozuna ;-)

It is unbelievable!!. what happen to our Yokozuna??

Well, I must admit that was really unexpected. I wonder just how pissed will Asa be now though? I wouldn't want to be Futeno tomorrow..

Take it easy everyone. He's giving the field a 2 loss handicap.

OR-- Dare I say--no money, no wins???

This looks bad.. A loss tomorrow and he's out this basho.

Frack me! Asashoryu has never lost the first two bouts as a yokozuna and I can't even remember the last time he lost consecutive fights.

Maybe Hatsu '06 Day 12-13 to Hakuho & Ama. Unless you count his fusenpai to Aminishiki in Natsu '06 on Day 3 a consecutive loss (Day 2 was a loss to Wakanosato).

Edited by Otokonoyama

Loss from yesterday is "understandable" but today, it was short, I'm surprised shinpan didn't stand up to discuss on the dohy

now really .... there was no need for a mono-ii?

"dead body" rule and all? didn't Miya's hand touch down first?

all this without replays and only stream quality video impression, so be patient with my questions.

Question to the stattos:

Was there ever a yokozuna starting 0-2 and finishing the tournament?

Dead body rule in full effect. Miyabi initiated the throw, and asa was flying,although miyabiyamas hand did hit before asa touched. I think it was clear miyabiyama victory after seeing replay, but if tochiazuma or kaio was in asas shoes, i wonder if there would have been mono ii

Question to the stattos:

I'm pretty sure there were quite a few cases where a yokozuna started 0-2 and took the yusho, not only finished a tournament.. I can't come up with concrete evidence, but I know at least three forum members who can.

Edited by Kintamayama

Have the yaocho allegations really affected his psyche to such an extent?

Just out of curiousity, has anyone in recent times won the yusho after an 0-2 start?

To your first question, the allegations certainly have affected his ability to buy the bouts. (Key word is "ability" here)

To your second question, I have good news for you: Asashoryu can write history as noone ever won the makuuchi yusho after losing the first two bouts, and I am talking about all makuuchi yusho since 1909, more than 400.

It has happened twelve times in juryo though, most lately in Hatsu 2005 as Otsukasa finished 12-3 after the 0-2 start. Four of the twelve even had a loss on day 3, most lately Kasugao in Kyushu 2002 with a 11-4 yusho.

Question to the stattos:

I'm pretty sure there were quite a few cases where a yokozuna started 0-2 and took the yusho, not only finished a tournament.. I can't come up with concrete evidence, but I know at least three forum members who can.

Well... nope.

Question to the stattos:

Well... nope.

I distinctly remember a case where someone became yokozuna, lost his first two, and clinched the yusho. I guess I don't remember THAT well, probably a tsunatori basho or something like that..

One thing is for sure: From tomorrow, you will be seeing super-motivated Hakuhou and Kotooushuu smelling a chance for some milk while the cat is locked in the cupboard. Intensity level- Up, up, and away. And maybe, just maybe , Kotomitsuki will hopefully hang around the leaders as well.

Definitely deserving a mono-ii ....

"dead body" not really a case since he was attempting to push Miya down himself before exiting the dohyo.

moreover, Miya's hand looked like it touched down first ...

"dead body" not really a case since he was attempting to push Miya down himself before exiting the dohyo.

From my experience, I say this: A yokozuna is expected to dominate. Whenever it's close, either there is no mono-ii or he loses by mono-ii. A yokozuna involved in a close bout-the other guy gets the benefit of a doubt.

This is just my feeling, and maybe stat wise I'm way off, but lately, that is the feeling.

Notice I am not using "The annoying Mongolian yokozuna who has taken over our sport" plot, since that's nonsense.

A yokozuna is expected to win it clearly. If he doesn't, he's gets no discount.

"no discount" is one case .... not actually losing but getting a loss is another.

The last time Asashouryuu lost his first two matches in a basho was in Nagoya 2001 when he was a komusubi. It is also the first time since Takanohana and Wakanohana in Aki 1999 that ANY Yokozuna started off with two straight losses.

Question for the statos:

If a komusubi is involved in the last match of the day, is it the komusubi no ichiban? And if two rikishi from the same ichimon are involved in the last bout, is it a musubi no ichimon? And in shinzumo, is it called musume no ichiban?

Edited by Kintamayama

If anything, this basho should be really interesting.

I think he can still win, since I don't see either Hakuho or kotooshu getting 14/1.

But it's not a given anymore. Perhaps he did it on purpose to build up suspense.

Yaay for a basho that is not as dull as the last ones.

As much as I like Miya-babe, I gotta agree that mono-ii would have been in order here. Miya got the upper hand the first half of the match but Asa recovered.

Are there really no mono-iis for musubi-no-ichiban? What's the statistic here?

The least you can say, is that the Asashoryu-bouts are often very interesting. Maybe a bit more when he loses than when he wins, but still... Although I don't feel this was a loss, today. But perhaps Kintamayama is right about that.

Yaay for a basho that is not as dull as the last ones.

Unless Asashoryu withdraws and the yusho goes away for 10-5 to Kotooshu, which would leave a very bad taste in our mouths.