Sign in to follow this  
kuroimori

Natsu 2014 discussion thread **probable spoilers**

I find it hard to tell if any of them are singing, usually. They barely move their lips.

That's the thing. This is the first time that Hakuho didn't move his lips. He is clearly bothered by something.

Why did Abe and the Tokyo mayor attend on senshuraku? Were they anticipating a Kisenosato yusho?

What about Hakuho's monoii? Apparently, there was some friction created at the Kyokai because of this.

Japanese blogs are ripe with activity on this topic. We, unfortunately are not.

I still haven't seen any "news" mentioning anything about his demeanor during that national anthem. Skipping he post basho press conference was covered.

I find it hard to tell if any of them are singing, usually. They barely move their lips.

That's the thing. This is the first time that Hakuho didn't move his lips. He is clearly bothered by something.

Why did Abe and the Tokyo mayor attend on senshuraku? Were they anticipating a Kisenosato yusho?

What about Hakuho's monoii? Apparently, there was some friction created at the Kyokai because of this.

If you could provide links and translations of the blogs that are discussing it, then perhaps we could see what you are talking about.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20140527-00000003-ykf-spo

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20140527-00000033-dal-spo

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20140527-00000066-spnannex-spo

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20140526-00000258-sph-spo

Read the comments.

Translations I cannot do.

I still haven't seen any "news" mentioning anything about his demeanor during that national anthem. Skipping he post basho press conference was covered.

There is no news. He isn't talking to the press. There is only speculation, and lots of it.

I'm still only technically on day 9 of the basho...but when I do finally catch up on the videos, I'll weigh in.

But it is curious. Hakuho has typically acted the paragon of yokozunahood.

Asashosakari,

It was a great tournament with many interesting new rikishi emerging or at least improving at new levels. I heard something on the TV which I kind of forgot but it is the first time in how many tournaments and years that they had 10 of 15 days sold out.

I have nothing against and hope Kakuryu would turn into a good yokozuna. I just feel that he was too early promoted, regardless of what the rules say, because I feel that 11-12 wins would be always expected of him and I am not sure his current ability would allow him to achieve it plus a yusho here or there. And yes, I am aware that he might have one too many ceremonies and parties to attend to prepare himself for the tournament but 9 wins with one coming from debatable hansoku and one from henka is waaaay to bad. It is too Japanese way of dealing with things - there is something like an unwritten rule and it is blindly applied without any second thought of whether it should be. As with the winner Monday morning press conference - if it is not part of his contract or rules of the federation, it is up to him of whether to show up or not. Besides, when was the last time someone heard a rikishi saying something interesting - Aminishiki and Toyonoshima spring to mind, but watching on Sunday all interviewees - it was like reading from a script.

I'm still only technically on day 9 of the basho...but when I do finally catch up on the videos, I'll weigh in.

But it is curious. Hakuho has typically acted the paragon of yokozunahood.

The videos don't show much and he is frankly, not at fault for anything in this situation. He just seems depressed and possibly hurt by something.

Did he come to the realization that he will never be truly Japanese, and therefore will not be loved like a Japanese rikishi? Is he hurt because the fans root against him while screaming their heads off for Endo?

I am afraid to post my next hypothetical. Let's just say that it involves two asses.

I read that on senshuraku, Hakuho and Harumafuji mounted the dohyō and then the fans started chanting for Harumafuji. Hakuho certainly had to realize that the fans didn't really give a damn about another Mongolian winning, but that it was more about hoping he'd lose, thereby giving Kisenosato a chance in a playoff. Maybe he felt disrespected and it pissed him off? Who knows? It wasn't that long ago that he lost to Kise and the Japanese fans celebrated by shouting "banzai".

I'd love to see a "pissed off" Hakuho take out his frustrations on the dohyō. Maybe from now on he makes it his mission to kick Kisenosato's ass every chance he gets. (Laughing...)

Speaking of Kise, although his final tally was impressive, I can't honestly say that I was impressed with his sumo. For most of the basho he seemed content to absorb the initial charge and then stand around waiting for the push-out. He was a bit more exciting in his bout against Kakuryu, but for the most part his sumo bored me. Can't argue with the results though.

Even though Ikioi isn't likely to hit the sanyaku this time, I liked the content of his sumo. I don't think his schedule will be wildly different for being at M1, so I hope he'll demonstrate that he belongs in upper Makuuchi. All his last visits have been lackluster, and I'd really hate for him to become a yo-yo rikishi.

Even though Ikioi isn't likely to hit the sanyaku this time, I liked the content of his sumo. I don't think his schedule will be wildly different for being at M1, so I hope he'll demonstrate that he belongs in upper Makuuchi.

Only if you count "will now have to face the three yokozuna" as not much of a difference... And he was outclassed in the three sanyaku bouts he did get, pretty much the same as before. He'll do well to get two wins out of the 7 Y/O/S guys next time, my guess would be 1-6. Edited by Asashosakari

Even though Ikioi isn't likely to hit the sanyaku this time, I liked the content of his sumo. I don't think his schedule will be wildly different for being at M1, so I hope he'll demonstrate that he belongs in upper Makuuchi.

Only if you count "will now have to face the three yokozuna" as not much of a difference...

I was in doubt about that but I think he was impliyng the difference between being at M1 or Komusubi as far as the schedule is concerned, and not between M5 and M1. Or that's how I decided to interpret it so that it made sense.

Anyway, despite the solid basho, Ikioi went 0-3 against Ozeki and Sekiwake without having a chance actually. He needs improving if he is to stay up there.

Edited by shumitto

If you could provide links and translations of the blogs that are discussing it, then perhaps we could see what you are talking about.
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20140527-00000003-ykf-spo

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20140527-00000033-dal-spo

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20140527-00000066-spnannex-spo

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20140526-00000258-sph-spo

Read the comments.

Translations I cannot do.

Read the comments-nothing there-nothing about any friction. And these are not Japanese blogs-just regular articles. If anything, most of the talkbacks are pretty understanding. And Abe usually is in Tokyo for senshuraku. And it's not exactly true that Hakuhoו was ignoring the press, as he did do the Kakka show we saw earlier in the thread and looked very calm and in a good mood. That was the evening of the yusho. Something definitely is wrong, and I'm pretty sure it has to do with the crowd chanting for his opponent on the final bout of the final day.

Edited by Kintamayama

Besides, when was the last time someone heard a rikishi saying something interesting - Aminishiki and Toyonoshima spring to mind, but watching on Sunday all interviewees - it was like reading from a script.

Disagree-all the young guys who were interviewed (Sadanoumi especially) were very surprisingly talkative and coherent with not many gambarimaass to fall back on.

the difference between being at M1 or Komusubi as far as the schedule is concerned

This. I mean that at M1 or komusubi, he'd have roughly the same schedule. And I'd rather see him demonstrate that he belongs in the sanyaku rather than getting in with a lucky promotion.

This. I mean that at M1 or komusubi, he'd have roughly the same schedule. And I'd rather see him demonstrate that he belongs in the sanyaku rather than getting in with a lucky promotion.

Fair enough, sorry about the misreading. :-)

What a harsh last pages in this topic :-/ From this moment on I'll always use Neymar as a example / comparision / point to make / whatever in Sumo. Do not know Neymar? Sooooooooooooooooo sorry :-P

(Ok. Problably I understand the discussion wrong, as with almost everything here :-D )

About Kak, I truly cheered for him in those bashos (the 14-1's). He was on fire, he looked nice, he fight like never. In that momments he was a truly real Yok. But a Yok must prove himself each time, I guess, so, it's up to Kak prove himself. I'm in the side of Kak-Yok (ie, it's ok him be made Yok), but I believe he must prove himself, not only to defend his promotion, mas to keep showing that he deserves to continue Yokozuna

Edited by bettega
  • Like 2

Well, his avatar has been drinking steadily since he arrived here almost 2 years ago... :-D

What is this post, sumo latin? :) and that is after editing it once. Kak Yok? :)

Oh geez. But I love you all :) My english is truly worsening in that last ten years :P

Well, his avatar has been drinking steadily since he arrived here almost 2 years ago... :-D

Best time of my life, with my wife in Paris :) (before the kids arrived, sure)

• Like 1