Akinomaki

New kesho mawashi

Kiribayama got a Nescafe kesho mawashi at the PR event today

2 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

In collaboration with their sponsor, Michinoku-beya today presented, represented by the oyakata and Kiribayama, the "Michinoku-beya poly-phenol plentiful chanko-nabe set" at Nescafe Harajuku.

20200108-OHT1I50088-L.jpg

o   202001080000503-w200_0.jpgo

• Like 2

On 08/01/2020 at 12:44, Akinomaki said:

Hi Akinomaki

I noticed these kesho mawashi (Kabuki mask = Endo / The other one = Goeido... in next post) in today's makuuchi dohyo iri. I believe I haven't seen them in this thread before. Are there any pics of these anywhere and any idea when they got these kesho mawashi?

I hope the NSK add a feature on their website where they have pics of all the kesho mawashi of all rikishi. 

End.jpg

Huh? I can't upload a pic even though it is only 6 kbs? I better read the pic posting thread, but some other day. Goeido's kesho mawashi pic will have to wait, haha.

48 minutes ago, Adil said:

I noticed these kesho mawashi (Kabuki mask = Endo / The other one = Goeido... in next post) in today's makuuchi dohyo iri. I believe I haven't seen them in this thread before. Are there any pics of these anywhere and any idea when they got these kesho mawashi?

This is a Nagatanien design, Endo's kesho mawashi from Nagatanien, for campaigns as well - he wears the mark of his sponsor on almost everything - every Kimono - the main one is for the CMs of course

ct141_l.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

This is a Nagatanien design, Endo's kesho mawashi from Nagatanien, for campaigns as well - he wears the mark of his sponsor on almost everything - every Kimono - the main one is for the CMs of course

ct141_l.jpg

You, sir, are an encyclopedia. Thank you very much. I finally managed to attach a pic of Goeido's kesho mawashi. Anything on this one?

go.jpg

3 hours ago, Adil said:

You, sir, are an encyclopedia. Thank you very much. I finally managed to attach a pic of Goeido's kesho mawashi. Anything on this one?

go.jpg

I've seen it, but not the story about it. It think this old style pic of an ancient merchant or the like is used for some commercial purposes in Adachi ward, by some local company. The kesho mawashi is from the heya's local Tokyo Adachi Sakaigawa koenkai.

Stop, not a merchant, an ancient fire fighter, I think as a logo for some company or product. (I haven't found a proper pic of it yet)

A hikeshi like these, but the graphic a more simple design

ec_hikeshi.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 15/01/2020 at 22:56, Akinomaki said:

I've seen it, but not the story about it. It think this old style pic of an ancient merchant or the like is used for some commercial purposes in Adachi ward, by some local company. The kesho mawashi is from the heya's local Tokyo Adachi Sakaigawa koenkai.

Stop, not a merchant, an ancient fire fighter, I think as a logo for some company or product. (I haven't found a proper pic of it yet)

A hikeshi like these, but the graphic a more simple design

ec_hikeshi.jpg

Thanks a bunch!

On 01/11/2019 at 23:11, Yubinhaad said:

Takanosho has a new kesho-mawashi featuring a dragon holding the sword and scales of justice.

The kesho mawashi Takanosho Nobuaki (Nobu-zeki) got from his new Kyushu koenkai (established last August) for the last Kyushu basho shows a fighting dragon, which represents him on the dohyo, and the sword and scales of justice: the donor is the head of the koenkai, lawyer Koga. Made by the pure silk Hakata-ori technique.

middle_ebb69f03b4.jpgo EK6eXxNUUAIesaw.jpg:thumboEK6eXxPUEAAIzwl.jpg:thumbo

takanosho.jpg

20191031keshomawa2.jpg

The oyakata and the former Chiganoura were at the presentation ceremony end of October

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Takakeisho on Feb. 25th in Kobe got a kesho mawashi for the Osaka basho from his local Hyogo pref. koenkai, showing Himeji castle and sakura trees in bloom in the moonlight. http://this.kiji.is/605018426860422241?c=552761585464345697

origin_1.jpg

presentation ceremony

20200421-OHT1I50169-L.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Asanoyama for ozeki promotion from each of 2 personal koenkai gets a new kesho mawashi, to use at the July basho. From his local Asanoyama Toyama koenkai, one via the company Aoki Industries, headed by the head of the koenkai Aoki. The design is unknown yet. o

One with a (double) rising dragon (one as kanji 昇) from the Tokyo Asanoyama koenkai, established last December, with about 300 members now, especially from the association of Toyama pref. citizens in Tokyo. With the hope he may rise to yokozuna.

On 22/12/2019 at 19:27, Akinomaki said:

On the 20th the new Tokyo koenkai of Asanoyama had the party to celebrate its inauguration, with about 500 supporters, who want him to become the next wasei (Japan-made) yokozuna.

It has the purple tassels only allowed for ozeki and above. http://www.hokkoku.co.jp/subpage/T20200712201.htm

202007110000728-w1300_0.jpg

the design of the rising dragon is influenced by Hokusai: 昇

img_27d45b532e3edde6b312b3e01d1345221272

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@AkinomakiI didn't know purple tassles were rank-restricted, so thank you for that info. The colour repro must be out though, because they look navy blue to me in both the above photo and the linked article.

Edited by RabidJohn

On 11/07/2020 at 19:12, Akinomaki said:

One with a (double) rising dragon (one as kanji 昇) from the Tokyo Asanoyama koenkai, established last December, with about 300 members now, especially from the association of Toyama pref. citizens in Tokyo. With the hope he may rise to yokozuna.

It has the purple tassels only allowed for ozeki and above.

I changed the pic above to a better one from the next day o

On 12/07/2020 at 10:40, RabidJohn said:

@AkinomakiI didn't know purple tassles were rank-restricted, so thank you for that info. The colour repro must be out though, because they look navy blue to me in both the above photo and the linked article.

The Hochi version has a slightly different color tone

20200711-OHT1I50271-N.jpgo

The Yomiuri version of the first pic is also a little bit more purple

20200717-OYTNI50016-1.jpg?type=mediumo

Asashoryu for ozeki promotion also received a kesho mawashi with a rising dragon, for the first yokozuna dohyo-iri at the Meiji shrine he used the Takasago-beya treasure: a rising dragon set of yokozuna Asashio, the 5th Takasago (the present is the 7th).

also Goeido did get one rising dragon kesho mawashi for ozeki promotion

AS20161016002110_commL.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki

6 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

The Hochi version has a slightly different color tone

20200711-OHT1I50271-N.jpgo

Aye, that's purple. It's one of the hardest colours to reproduce digitally. My former editor used to hate anything purple, mainly because something in the process of converting RGB to CYMK for printing doesn't like it either!

Bit of a tangent, but my avatar is one of his scans from my transparency... 

Edited by RabidJohn

Terunofuji  this basho got a new kesho mawashi from a supporter, with sun and Fuji to represent his shikona: illuminate Fuji - "The red feels impressive, doesn't it?" He wants to keep using it: "The person kept supporting me also when I dropped down. I want to present me gambarizing." o

20200722s00005000029000p_view.jpg

sum20072207300001-m1.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Asanoyama for ozeki promotion from each of 2 personal koenkai gets a new kesho mawashi, to use at the July basho. From his local Asanoyama Toyama koenkai, one via the company Aoki Industries, headed by the head of the koenkai Aoki. The design is unknown yet.

Asanoyama  today at the dohyo-iri with the 2nd new kesho-mawashi, from Aoki industries - with ozeki purple fringe

f_13545534.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Asanoyama for ozeki promotion from each of 2 personal koenkai gets a new kesho mawashi, to use at the July basho. From his local Asanoyama Toyama koenkai, one via the company Aoki Industries, headed by the head of the koenkai Aoki.

The one from and designed by Aoiki shows Kintaro holding the giant carp - the koikin motif, depicted since the Edo period. Aoiki: "It expresses the wish for him to appear majestic on the dohyo as ozeki and that what he should aim for is even higher." http://mainichi.jp/articles/20200804/k00/00m/050/229000c

9.jpg

Koi are said to rise to the heaven and turn into a dragon asanoyama.com/2020/07/29/鯉と金太郎の化粧まわし

koikin.jpeg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

At the NHK new juryo interview, Oki today showed the kesho mawashi he got from his primary school sumo dojo, Kajikawa sumo kyoshitsu. Kajikawa village is famous for the cherry blossoms, in the back snowy mountains, for Niigata as the land of snow.

EiCXYjfXgAAuJ7-.jpg:thumbo o

EiBIQLyXsAARJw0.jpg:large

at the dohyo-iri he was shown with the kesho mawashi from his high school, as the first sekitori from Kaiyo high

On 13/09/2020 at 16:47, Akinomaki said:

Oki left high school in his 2nd year, but got a kesho mawashi from Niigata pref. Kaiyo (ocean) high school, with the school emblem and of course marine blue

0073208100473546s.jpgo

• Like 1

Today it was Nishikifuji's turn on NHK. He brought the kesho mawashi from the heya koenkai, showing Oirase gorge. He had asked for this local scenery, also as PR for his hometown Towada. http://towadako.or.jp/en/the-charm-of-lake-towada-and-oirase-gorge/

EiHFBKeWkAAsWId.jpg:thumbo

EiGRBTQXYAAnYpC.jpg:large

also he was shown at the dohyo-iri with his school kesho mawashi

On 13/09/2020 at 08:42, Akinomaki said:

New juryo Nishikifuji just in time for the basho got a kesho mawashi from Aomori pref. Sanbongi agricultural high school, with the school emblem. https://www.daily-tohoku.news/archives/43308

PCNTS2020091201672_MediaImage.jpg

• Like 4

On 22/06/2017 at 17:45, Akinomaki said:

Tobizaru got the traditional kesho-mawashi from Saitama Sakae high.

In return there is the customary rule of donating 500kg of rice to the sumo club. At the moment there are 8 sekitori of Saitama Sakae origin, Goeido at the top. During the 3 years in school, a sumo club member eats about 750kg of rice, and in one month all members at the moment devour about 450kg - so the 500kg aren't that much.

The custom is only for new juryo, head coach Yamada was surprised that Tobizaru again donated 600kg to the club, before the basho: "For entry to makuuchi" http://hochi.news/articles/20201003-OHT1T50286.html

• Like 1

Takanosho for sanyaku debut from a koenkai related person got a kesho mawashi with himself as original mascot character, designed by a friend: named NOBUDOG after his real and shikona first name Nobuaki, a Shiba-inu. Takanosho loves dogs, is born in a year of the dog and appropriately: "I want to run around (the dohyo)."

He plans to use it at the dohyo-iri starting on nakabi (day 8).

20201013-OHT1I50115-N.jpgo

Hopefully pics of the complete kesho mawashi will appear before that. Maybe he brings it to NHK for the new sanyaku interview.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ura for juryo return gets a kesho mawashi via a volunteer organization from Yukuhashi, Fukuoka pref., financed (1.5 million yen) by a local 88 year old woman, ill with amyloidosis - "Your sumo made me healthy", she wrote him in a letter 2 years ago, when he dropped to makushita, he sent back a tegata and the interaction began. Unfortunately, the basho is not in Kyushu and she can't come to watch, but she hopes for next year. Ura: "I'll put on the kesho-mawashi and want her/anybody to see me appearing healthy on the dohyo."  http://hochi.news/articles/20201028-OHT1T50209.html

the design, waza 技 (technique etc.) in his trademark pink - looks somehow familiar

sum20102819180005-p2.jpg

he first met her 2018 at the Yukuhashi jungyo, after the Kyushu basho

middle_IP201028JAA000401000.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 28/10/2020 at 18:03, Akinomaki said:

Ura for juryo return gets a kesho mawashi via a volunteer organization from Yukuhashi, Fukuoka pref., financed (1.5 million yen) by a local 88 year old woman, ill with amyloidosis - "Your sumo made me healthy", she wrote him in a letter 2 years ago, when he dropped to makushita, he sent back a tegata and the interaction began. Unfortunately, the basho is not in Kyushu and she can't come to watch, but she hopes for next year. Ura: "I'll put on the kesho-mawashi and want her/anybody to see me appearing healthy on the dohyo."  http://hochi.news/articles/20201028-OHT1T50209.html

the design, waza 技 (technique etc.) in his trademark pink - looks somehow familiar

he first met her 2018 at the Yukuhashi jungyo, after the Kyushu basho

AS20201112000184_commL.jpgo

hopefully his sumo makes her healthy again

middle_IP201112JAA000195000.jpgo

Ura used it in the dohyo-iri on day 1 o

874a3723f0998b49603e83720deca429_1.jpg

AS20201112000186_commL.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Oho (Naya) will get a kesho-mawashi from Teshikaga town(wrong in the DB as Deshikaga), Hokkaido, the Japanese place of origin (shusshin) for Taiho, where on Oct. 28th 2019 the "From Teshikaga cheering for Otake-beya's Naya Konosuke"- club was formed (his brothers started later, they'll surely get cheered for as well). Local sumo nishiki-e artist Kinoshita Daimon made the design (he's the one who does the picture banzuke http://www.daimon-e.sakura.ne.jp/daimon-goods-ebanzuke-large.html), showing Lakes Mashuu and Kussharo. Kinoshita last year had shown a map with the 2 lakes to  a middle school girl related to the heya, and she said: "Lake Kussharo looks like Taiho at the yokozuna dohyo-iri, and Lake Mashuu like the face of Konosuke watching this." Getting this surprising hint made him decide on the design. http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20201125/sum20112518510006-n2.html

A nishiki-e by Kinoshita of Naya as shin-deshi with a kesho-mawashi from Taiho o

image2-16.jpeg

Kinoshita hopes for a yokozuna dohyo-iri of Oho, with his brothers as attendants

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 30/11/2020 at 13:13, Akinomaki said:

Oho (Naya Konosuke) will get a kesho-mawashi from Teshikaga town(wrong in the DB as Deshikaga), Hokkaido, the Japanese place of origin (shusshin) for Taiho, where on Oct. 28th 2019 the "From Teshikaga cheering for Otake-beya's Naya Konosuke"- club was formed (his brothers started later, they'll surely get cheered for as well). Local sumo nishiki-e artist Kinoshita Daimon made the design (he's the one who does the picture banzuke http://www.daimon-e.sakura.ne.jp/daimon-goods-ebanzuke-large.html), showing Lakes Mashuu and Kussharo. Kinoshita last year had shown a map with the 2 lakes to  a middle school girl related to the heya, and she said: "Lake Kussharo looks like Taiho at the yokozuna dohyo-iri, and Lake Mashuu like the face of Konosuke watching this." Getting this surprising hint made him decide on the design.

Today the new Oho paid grandpa Taiho's shusshin town Teshikaga and the local Taiho museum a visit - the last time he was there was June last year.

202012040000706-w200_0.jpgo20201204-OHT1I50392-N.jpgo202012040000706-w200_1.jpgo202012040000706-w200_3.jpgo20201204-OHT1I50393-N.jpgo 202012040000706-w200_2.jpgo

After that he attended the "Oho juryo promotion celebration"-party, where he received the new kesho mawashi

202012040001208-w200_1.jpgo

with the town mayor on the left, with the artist

9c63dfba7a615450eb1457a2dbb82d21.jpgo 202012040001208-w200_2.jpgo

on the left the oyakata and mum

20201204atG8S_t.jpgo

202012040001208-w1300_0.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 5