Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Preparations of the masses- Aki 2019

Komusubi Endou, back in Sanyaku after 8 bashos, trained at home against Daieishou and 5 other sekitori and was 8-3. "Still time till day 1. I will be doing some serious sumo from here on," he templated. At the recent weigh-in, he tipped the scales at 149 kilos, dropping 9 kilos since the last weigh-in. "I was shocked," he said, shocked. Still, he figures there was something wrong during the weigh-in before that. Last time, he went for the rikishi photo shoot just after the weigh-in, so he was wearing a heavy kimono with lots of accessories.This time, he was wearing a regular yukata, he pointed out. At training his body looked the same as usual and there was no lightness seen at the tachiai. "Even if there actually was no change, I'd like to add a few kilos.. I'll eat a lot and regain the weight and hope to reach my peak on day 1," he summed.

Facing Makuuchi newcomer Tsurugishou:

sum19082905020001-p1.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Remember Yoshikaze? He's down in Juryo 7 west. And it's not looking good. He hasn't been able to train as he planned to. "I think it's looking tough for an Aki entry. Still a week left. The final decision is his, " said Oguruma Oyakata. Yoshikaze underwent surgery on his right knee in June and is still in rehab. This is his first drop to Juryo in 12 years and If he misses this basho, he may drop to Makushita in November.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 6

Yoshikaze is on his way out, surely. Maybe he’ll take one basho in Makushita and be Tomokaze’s tsukebito for once before he calls it a day.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The Isegahama Ichimon rengo keiko was held today, as you can see in the video above. Enhou, Terutsuyoshi. Chiyotairyuu (not from the Ichimon), and Terunofuji were there, very lively session. Enhou took on Terunofuji (80 kilo, 20 centimeter difference) and lost all three bouts to him, getting thrown heartily as well. Enhou was 4-6 in all. "The training is fun but I totally feel my weakness. My body is not a Makuuchi body. I've got to compensate with speed, but.. My abilities do not match the great support that I have from the fans. The support is driving me forward, and I have to be able to live up to it.." he said. Terutsuyoshi the other height challenged rikishi was 7-5. "My condition is good.  At my highest rank, the opposition will be getting tougher. I'll do my best not  Toulose. to lose. I'll push from under and will do sumo that will irritate my opponents. My objective is 10 wins," he said.

201909010000373-w500_0.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/img/201909030000585-w500_0.jpg

二所ノ関一門の連合稽古で、阿武咲(右)と申し合いを行う貴景勝

The media's focus temporarily shifted (for the wrong reasons) towards his heya-mate Takanofuji , but Sekiwake Takakeisho's continued his preparation ahead of the basho and trained with sekitori opposition again today. With only a few days remaining until sunday it's a race against the clock for him to get as fit as he can.

He attended the nishinoseki ichimon rengo-geiko at the nishonoseki stable in Chiba and faced the likes of Ichinojo and Ryuden (he probably faced Onosho as well- it looks like it's him in that second picture) for five bouts and was 2-3.

The number of bouts and the record were not great but at least he is trying to face jo-i guys. " The way he went under again to attack after hitting was great. That's his brand of sumo right there. Getting his body back in shape to achieve that is a success for him" analyzed his oyakata.

My take is that his knee is pretty much healed now but he is still rusty and out of shape.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201909030000585.html

Edited by Rainoyama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 01/09/2019 at 03:11, Rainoyama said:

Isegahama ichimon training session, Enho vs Terunofuji 

Terunofuji looks like he's moving better than we've seen of late.

• Like 1

Has there been any news on Kaisei?