Sign in to follow this  
Yubinhaad

Hokutoryu reaches milestone

On Day 11 of this Hatsu basho, lower division ironman Hokutoryu (http://www.sumoreference.com/Rikishi.aspx?r=607) fought the 1000th consecutive bout of his career. He has never missed a bout since making his debut back in 1986. If only the media would celebrate this kind of achievement alongside those of the likes of Moriurara. Ganbare Hokutoryu!

Wow, never been higher than mid Sandanme ! (Neener, neener...)

Which active rikishi are actually the 5 oldest ?

Tochitenko (2/1967), Kimenryu (9/1969), Hanakaze (5/1970), Kasachikara (7/1970), Dewanosato (11/1970)

Hokutoryu (3/1971) is the 6th oldest , Btw.

1967, so almost 43 years old. Amazing. (Neener, neener...)

Yeah, Tochitenko actually made his debut in the old Kurame Kokugikan. In that basho (Haru '82), Chiyonofuji won his fourth (!) yusho, two wins ahead of Kitanoumi, and Konishiki was still two tournaments away from his debut:)

Oh, the good old days.. When my grocery store was still open, before the supermarket came and put me out of business..

Yeah, Tochitenko actually made his debut in the old Kurame Kokugikan. In that basho (Haru '82), Chiyonofuji won his fourth (!) yusho, two wins ahead of Kitanoumi, and Konishiki was still two tournaments away from his debut:)

And now Tochitenko is closing in on his first Yusho!

Edited by Manekineko
broken quote

Tochitenko (2/1967), Kimenryu (9/1969), Hanakaze (5/1970), Kasachikara (7/1970), Dewanosato (11/1970)

Hokutoryu (3/1971) is the 6th oldest , Btw.

Tochitenko is in the news. One of the sports dailies has reported that he has a 6-0 record so far in sandanme. If he wins on Day 13, he will qualify for yusho ketteisen on senshuraku, and if he wins that, he will, at age 42, be the oldest since the beginning of the Showa Era to win a division crown.

As mentioned elsewhere, Tochi is the last remaining rikishi to make his ozumo debut in the old Kuramae Kokugikan. He has made it up to juryo but has not been a sekitori since Aki 1996. He told the gathered media--something that hasn't happened in a long time--"At this point, I just want to prolong my career even for one more day."

As for his good showing this basho, he said calmly, "Six consecutive wins? I don't even remember when I last won four in a row. I think my opponents are simply amazed at how ancient I am and giving me extra considerations."