Kintamayama

Sumo articles by journalists who are Forum members/or not

Luckily for me, it's in English, so I won't have to "take a few minutes to look through the Japanese language newspapers, and

throw a story found through an online translation device, tidy it up a bit so it reads half decent, and contribute to the list that way", eh Mark?

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ss20080930mb.html

Another home run by Mr. Hardy. For me, a very interesting piece shedding light on a usually dimly -lit alley of sumo:

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/sports/20081003TDY22306.htm

I would even go so far as to suggest that upon obtaining the writer's consent this should be PTTP (pinned to the pond) ASAP .

Edited by Kintamayama

Another home run by Mr. Hardy. For me, a very interesting piece shedding light on a usually dimly -lit alley of sumo:

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/sports/20081003TDY22306.htm

I would even go so far as to suggest that upon obtaining the writer's consent this should be PTTP (pinned to the pond) ASAP .

Thank you. I had a lot of help from one of the writers for The Yomiuri Shimbun... he introduced me to Hideo san and asked very intelligent followup questions during the interview that helped me no end... I found the honorable tateyobidashi's Japanese almost incomprehensible until I had sat down and listened to the recording many many times.

As for pinning the story anywhere, I would be honored although I am sure there are many copyright issues that prevent me from endorsing such a move. But were such a move to occur without my knowledge, I would be far too busy drinking tequila with the race girls (and Tochiazuma) in the press room to make a big deal about it...

Thank you. I had a lot of help from one of the writers for The Yomiuri Shimbun... he introduced me to Hideo san and asked very intelligent followup questions during the interview that helped me no end... I found the honorable tateyobidashi's Japanese almost incomprehensible until I had sat down and listened to the recording many many times.

Somewhere I have a nice interview I did with his predecessor, the elegant Yonekichi, for a magazine that never saw the light of day. Maybe I can change the names and sell it somewhere? (Being unsure...) While I was interviewing him in the yobidashi room, someone else -- I think it was Hideo -- was getting dressed. I was fascinated to see he was wearing women's black panty-hose underneath the tattsuke-bakama (cutaway pants).

Orion

Two by Mr. Buckton:

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ss20081104mb.html

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ss20081017mb.html

Many links to Japan Tiimes articles by Mark on one page:

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ss-mb-all.html

I'm impressed.

Edited by Kintamayama

This, ladies and gentlemen, is of the "gem" genre. I give you Mr. Hardy - Shakespeare, 'pithy' etc..:

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/sports/20081203TDY24305.htm

Ouch! It contains quite a bit about names that was discussed here and elsewhere, and only a day before this came out my own column went in with my own contributions -- better check with the KTO editor and ask if he wants me to vary it!

I'm not griping -- Hardy does indeed write on-the-ball articles.

Orion

This, ladies and gentlemen, is of the "gem" genre.

I agree. James "rikishi sniffing" piece gave me much enjoyment on the train to work.

Wonder how sweet Harumafuji actually does smell?

Thank you one and all for your kind comments - they are much appreciated.

Without getting too close, I would guess that Harumafuji smells of bintsuke rather like the rest of the sumo world (and 1 guy I work with too - it's too weird to come into the office and have Kokugikan flashbacks). Do you partake John?

Quoting Rumsfeld is but a blatant appeal to Yomiuri's rightwing readership! No, seriously now - excellent article as always. It's probably a bit unfair to make Asashoryu the poster child of the last few negative attention-filled years for Ozumo (not saying that James is doing that, he's just pointing out that that's the popular perception), but it's a good point that the head guys must be fairly desperate for a quieter future with more focus on what's actually happening on the dohyo.

... in Hakuho, Harumafuji and its other young stars, sumo has the chance to experience a relatively healthy--and crisis-free--future.

Yup. There's actually a very good core of rikishi age 25 and under right now - seven of them between Y and M1 alone, and others such as Goeido, Kakuryu or Tochinoshin with a chance to become regular top-rankers in the near future. The recruiting classes of the current decade may have been low in volume, but they haven't been hurting for top talent... Hakuho sure looks set to spend his prime years with a better supporting cast than what Asashoryu was mostly saddled with.

Edited by Asashosakari

Quoting Rumsfeld is but a blatant appeal to Yomiuri's rightwing readership!

You spotted that! Got to curry favour somehow...

But thanks as always for the kind comments (and picking up on the errors too - it is like having an extra sub editors desk)

There's actually a very good core of rikishi age 25 and under right now - seven of them between Y and M1 alone, and others such as Goeido, Kakuryu or Tochinoshin with a chance to become regular top-rankers in the near future. The recruiting classes of the current decade may have been low in volume, but they haven't been hurting for top talent... Hakuho sure looks set to spend his prime years with a better supporting cast than what Asashoryu was mostly saddled with.

Your last point about "supporting cast" is one that could be worth developing - the whole dynamic of sumo since Asa started his hegemony has been one of... er, hegemony. His charisma and brilliance carried it, but like any one-man show, it has it downsides (tyranny, self-delusion, increasingly tenuous grip on reality etc)

The new dynamic - of a more competitive top tier keeping Hakuho honest - should hopefully create a different sort of drama. Asa's year of dominance (2005) was a feat in itself, but it's nice to have a change; it would be nice if Hakuho could win three, Harumafuji one, Baruto one and the last for... Takamisakari (In jonokuchi...) (I am not worthy...) . If only for the yusho speech.

Donald Rumsfeld, Napolean at Austerlitz and lesser known Hamlet quotations.

I threw a bouquet of roses onto my copy of the Daily Yomiuri this morning in admiration Mr. Hardy. (I am not worthy...)

Hmm...

New Year mochi making at his Takasago stable was interrupted when he aggravated his suspect elbow, but Asashoryu returned from a brief trip to his homeland enervated.

I can't make sense of this given the context, that he injured his elbow, but returned to "his imperious best" following a trip that left him "enervated". Perhaps "energized" was meant instead?

Perfect analysis of his relationship with the fans. You don't have to see his personal interaction with them for very long to understand why he's still popular in spite of everything.

New Year mochi making at his Takasago stable was interrupted when he aggravated his suspect elbow, but Asashoryu returned from a brief trip to his homeland enervated.

I can't make sense of this given the context, that he injured his elbow, but returned to "his imperious best" following a trip that left him "enervated". Perhaps "energized" was meant instead?

See what I mean about the extra sub editing? (I am not worthy...) Thanks... a dumb error on my part. Will be changed online.

See what I mean about the extra sub editing? (I am not worthy...) Thanks... a dumb error on my part. Will be changed online.

I thought you meant "invigorated"..

I thought you meant "invigorated"..

That's better than my suggestion, yeah.