Kintamayama

Quote of the Day-Hatsu 2017

Kintamayama    19,945

Thank you for your overwhelming requests to do this again this basho. I am touched. (not).

Day 1:

Shoudai losing to Hakuhou: "I was planning to jump all over him but I was scared shitless. I was really nervous.."

Day 2:

Terunofuji, losing to Takayasu: "I was really training hard, but it just doesn't show in the actual bouts.."

Day 3:

Tamawashi, winning the all-Sekiwake bout against Shoudai decisively: "It went as I has planned. But I'm not that happy. I wonder what I'm feeling.."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 18

Rocks    672
1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Day 3:

Tamawashi, winning the all-Sekiwake bout against Shoudai decisively: "It went as I has planned. But I'm not that happy. I wonder what I'm feeling.."

WTH?

Asashosakari    9,839
1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

New Game: "Rikishi comment or country song lyrics?"

• Like 8

Manekineko    193
On 10.01.2017. at 16:34, Kintamayama said:

Terunofuji, losing to Takayasu: "I was really training hard, but it just doesn't show in the actual bouts.."

He sounds just like my students... ;-)

It also reminded me of this quote by Leopold Ružička:

Enthusiasm for a course of study cannot be a substitute for talent, intelligence cannot be a substitute for knowledge, and good will cannot be a substitute for success.

Tough guy, our Leopold.
  • Like 2

Kintamayama    19,945

Day 4:

Arawashi, facing a Yokozuna (Harumafuji) for the first time after 14 years in sumo: "I lost but it's good. I'm happy!!"

Day 5:

Ichinojou, 200th Makuuchi appearance, 4th win and in a good place for a change: "I want to continue doing my kind of sumo and get double digit wins. My weight is now 193 kilos. I've got to get used to this kind of body.."

Day 6:

Mitakeumi, getting slapped by Kotoshougiku but winning anyway: "The inside of my mouth is cut and it hurts, but slaps are only painful. I was able to see my opponent well!"

• Like 8

Rocks    672
10 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Day 6:

Mitakeumi, getting slapped by Kotoshougiku but winning anyway: "The inside of my mouth is cut and it hurts, but slaps are only painful. I was able to see my opponent well!"

Mitakeumi  on his face bleeding "I popped a pimple. Because I am young.."

Mitakeumi's next kesho wamashi should just read "What can I say? It's all good."

Akinomaki    16,000

That was a surprise for me: http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20170114/sum17011419470010-n1.html

Ikioi about the fusen win: "In my sumo life the first time ever. And also this is an experience."

Which sekitori never had a fusensho? I can't think of a way to do that query.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Asashosakari    9,839
54 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

That was a surprise for me: http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20170114/sum17011419470010-n1.html

Ikioi about the fusen win: "In my sumo life the first time ever. And also this is an experience."

Which sekitori never had a fusensho? I can't think of a way to do that query.

Of the current 106 rikishi with sekitori experience, 32 have never won a bout by fusen. Dairaido is the leader, no fusensho in 891 appearances in 21 years in sumo. Sadanofuji follows right behind with 14 years and 890 appearances (lots more 15-day basho than Dairaido). Several more ex-sekitori follow with Fujiazuma, Sakigake, Dewahayate and Masunoyama.

Ikioi was the leader among rikishi currently ranked as sekitori (hatsu-dohyo 2005.03, 737 appearances before today) - his successors are Nishikigi by seniority (hatsu-dohyo 2006.03, 528 appearances) and Chiyonokuni by bouts (hatsu-dohyo 2006.05, 549 appearances).

• Like 8

Kintamayama    19,945

Day 7:

Tamawashi, putting up a good fight against Hakuhou: "I wasn't attacked quickly, nor was I thrown..This will lead to tomorrow. Still, it's frustrating.."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

Rocks    672

"This will lead to tomorrow."

I keep telling people this but nobody believes me.

Edited by Rocks

robnplunder    175
On 1/10/2017 at 07:34, Kintamayama said:

Thank you for your overwhelming requests to do this again this basho. I am touched. (not).

Day 1:

Shoudai losing to Hakuhou: "I was planning to jump all over him but I was scared shitless. I was really nervous.."

That showed in tachi-hai.  As he get more experience and realize that aging Yokozunas can be beaten (see Mitakeumi), he will lose that shitless nervousness.  Well, I hope.

Kintamayama    19,945

Day 8:

Terunofuji, beating Goueidou in an all- Ozeki battle: "Even if I would have lost, I wanted to show that I'm an Ozeki!!"

Day 9:

Terunofuji, losing to Arawashi: " He was much lighter than I expected. I should have been more careful.."

• Like 3

Rocks    672
4 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Terunofuji, beating Goueidou in an all- Ozeki battle: "Even if I would have lost, I wanted to show that I'm an Ozeki!!"

I'm Terrorfuji damn it!

He may not be in better shape but his spirits are a lot better. I'm glad to see it. That's good for a couple wins all by itself.

Kintamayama    19,945
17 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

I would have liked to know what Kisenosato or Kotoshogiku had to say about Day 9...  

Kotoshougiku: "It was a day of ups and downs today..I am still capable of doing good sumo like that, huh? . I wonder why I lost 5 straight.. In the first half of the basho my thoughts were all over the place. so I went to the young guys for advice. They told me to just barrel forward, and that I did. I'm not out of the woods yet, but I'd like to take this miraculous feeling, chisel it into my body and gambarize!"

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 6

Amamaniac    129

Thanks, Kintamayama.  Hopefully, Kotoshogiku will gain more confidence going forward in this tournament.  I was already likening him to Baruto, an Ozeki who wins his first championship, then a year later drops out of Ozeki status, ...

btw, I really enjoyed your Day 9 video.

Kintamayama    19,945

Day 10:

Kaisei, 4 straight losses, asked about a change of pace: "It's so cold that I don't feel like going out so I'm just taking it easy at the heya.. I've been in Japan for ten years now and I still haven't got used to the cold..'

• Like 4

Kintamayama    19,945

Day 11:

Kotoshougiku, getting a fusenshou win but still with seven losses: "Nothing has changed. I just want to do sumo that I can agree to.."

Day 12:

Tamawashi, on beating Kotoshougiku and sending him to sekiwake: "We're from the same Ichimon (Nishonoseki). He has been on the dohyo for a very long time. I almost cried.."

• Like 3

Rocks    672
3 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Tamawashi, on beating Kotoshougiku and sending him to sekiwake: "We're from the same Ichimon (Nishonoseki). He has been on the dohyo for a very long time. I almost cried

ALMOST

• Like 2

Kintamayama    19,945

Day 13:

Kotoshougiku, 9th loss: "I've got to believe in myself more.That's all. For my own sake, all I can do is gambarize. There are things I can gain from this.."

• Like 4

Kintamayama    19,945

Day 14:

Takakeishou - new-maku - loses and makekoshi: "A loss is a loss..If I don't win it's all meaningless. All I can do is become stronger. I am makekoshi because I am weak!"

Day 15:

Hakuhou losing to Kisenosato: "I decided to go all out and forward and leave defeat or victory in the hands of fate and destiny.. At first, he seemed quite light to me but at the edge of the dohyo he was patient. That was how the strong Ozeki got his yusho.."

• Like 7

robnplunder    175
On 1/13/2017 at 09:14, Kintamayama said:

Day 6:

Get use to it, body.   You will do well.