Sign in to follow this  
Rijicho

Featured Heya - Mihogaseki & Minato

Mihogaseki- and Minato-beya

Can't say I know much about these two heya nor about the reason they are in the same thread (merging plans? history?), but I've noticed that Mihogaseki seems to have excellent relations with Nichidai, since they have at least three former Nichidai guys: Shiraishi, Kurazono and Satoyama, who all joined quite recently and have been rising very fast so far. If we add Baruto (and possibly Hamaeiko) to their list of promising young deshi, it seems likely that they will have several young sekitori fairly soon...

Mihogaseki heya's address:

Mihogaseki Beya

3-2-12 Chitose

Sumida-ku, Tokyo

Japan

130-0025

Write them.

Here the composition of Mihogaseki-beya on Haru 2005 banzuke:

Owner: MIHOGASEKI Noriaki (f. Ozeki Masuiyama)

Other oyakata: KIYOMIGATA Kazuo (f. Makuuchi Dairyugawa), MATSUCHIYAMA

Takaharu (f. Komusubi Banryuyama), ONOE Keishi (f. Komusubi Hamanoshima)

Makushita wrestlers:

Baruto (West Makushita 32)

Koriyama (East Makushita 43)

Kurazono (West Makushita 34)

Masutsuyoshi (East Makushita 14)

Satoyama (West Makushita 54)

Shiraishi (East Makushita 3)

Tachigami (East Makushita 44)

Sandanme wrestlers:

Hamaeiko (West Sandanme 71)

Masuryu (West Sandanme 97)

Ryushoyama (West Sandanme 25)

Jonidan wrestlers:

Koryuyama (East Jonidan 11)

Miura (West Jonidan 59)

Miyoshi (East Jonidan 67)

Gyoji: Kimura Akijiro (Makushita-kaku)

Yobidashi: Jiro (Sanyaku), Takuro (Sanyaku)

Sewanin: Torafusuyama (f. Makushita Torafusuyama)

Tokoyama: Tokoakira (1) Tokoasa (2)

Mihogaseki is indeed a breeding ground for many prospective future

sekitori. Shiraishi, Baruto and Satoyama are perhaps the best known trio

so far but also Kurazono is a college rikishi with quite fast ascension to

makushita. Then there is also 19 year old small rikishi Hamaeiko who is

currently a bit stuck at sandanme. You can find all them in this post by

Doitsuyama before Aki 2004:

http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3813

My own impression of Shiraishi is that he is a bit too prone to awkward

collapses on the dohyo. Lost twice in similar manner in Haru basho where

he also notched up his first ever make-koshi at Ms3 but a mere 3-4 and his

losses looked more like diving action than losses by power but then again

it is quite evident he needs to work on this. Short he is so maybe easier

to pull him down but a bit too easy losses in Haru in this sense.

Baruto and Satoyama had a fantastic jonidan yusho play-off Aki 2004 which

Baruto eventually won.

"Old" Masutsuyoshi is also showing signs of possible return to juryo as he

managed 5-2 second time in a row reasonably high in makushita. He was last

seen in makuuchi in Haru 2004 and had his last 4 juryo basho with 19-41

record so some room for improvement should he make his come-back in juryo

along with his heyamates' debuts.

Here is Jonosuke's report about Shiraishi after his 7-0 makushita yusho in

Kyushu 2004:

Shiraishi Nobuhiro Mihogaseki Beya - Makushita East 54

Hatsu Basho: Makushita East 6

An analysis of Shikoroyama oyakata (former Sekiwake Terao) on Shiraishi

was right on. "Shiraishi is definitely getting stronger. Even against

Asofuji, he is already holding more than his own".

Shiraishi, initially showing little of his left, started with 'migi-hazu"

and then barging towards the west dohyo, Asofuji had no time to react and

easily was blown out of the dohyo after "hidari-hazu". It was a well

executed oshi-zumo. At the Hatsu Basho his opponent Asofuji will be ranked

in a mid Juryo (Juryo East 9).

With this win, Shiraishi extended his winning streak (from the Nagoya

Basho this year) to 21, likely the most among the active rikishis at the

moment.

At the Hatsu Basho, he will be in fact placed higher than his Makushita

Tsukedashi rivals of Takanofuji and Nakano (and only a rank below

Kanbayashi), who joined Ozumo at the same time as Shiraishi.

Shiraishi would have acquired the Tsukedashi qualification if he had not

lost to Takekaze in the final at the 2001 All Japan College/University

Sumo Championship. So there should be no surprise if he'd make as rapid

progress as Takekaze, Kakizoe and Futeno in the very near future.

Since he was in lower grades at primary school, Shiraishi started taking

sumo lessons personally from Masaaki Hamasu, former Komusubi Hamanoshima

and currently Onoe oyakata's father who is also the chairman of the Kyushu

Sumo Union.

"I've just met him the other day and he told me quite a lot of things like

whom I should model after. Right now I want to develop a style like Onoe

oyakata who kept attacking and not backing down," Shiraishi said. Well

there is no surprise here.

As a Kumamoto Prefecture rikishi, this Kyushu Basho became his first

"home" basho and he experienced a whole different atmosphere but his

senior Kyushu born and Tsukedashi rikishis like Kakizoe and Futeno gave

him an encouragement telling him to "Gambare-yo".

As not only a brand new Makushita rikishi but the one who jumped up 91

ranks at the Kyushu, play-by-play announcers covering earlier rounds for a

satelite channel sumo broadcast sounded really amazed every time he won as

they never expected him to do as well as he had. They were fully

anticipating he would be facing the wall this time around but he has

proven that he wasn't just another precocious kid who gets blocked by the

wall around at this level.

"I believe I did so well because I really tried not to worry about

anything else and just decided to go all out. I was able to put in a

really great sumo," Shiraishi said at the Yusho interview, now his second.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Born: July 16, 1981 23 Years old.

Dohyo Debut: Haru Basho 2004.

Height: 173 cm Weight: 127 kg.

Favorite Technique: Hidari-yotsu, yori.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Day 1 Nakano by yorikiri

Day 4 Fujitsukasa by oshidashi

Day 6 Tsuruzakura by yorikiri

Day 8 Ryukai by yorikiri

Day 10 Daionji by oshidashi

Day 12 Asahimaru by oshitaoshi

Day 13 Asofuji by oshidashi

7 win and no loss

News report from the time Shirashi

2 new ex-college recruits have joined Mihogaseki-beya yesterday. They are

both from Nichidai University, and have joined Mihogaseki because they

like Hamanoshima, an ex- Nichidai rikishi himself. One is Satoyama (22,

175/113), a 4th year graduate. Prefers hidari-yotsu. He participated in

last year's National Students' individual something or other and I gather

he did well. The other guy is Shiraishi), 22, 173/120, fourth year as

well and also a yotsu kind of person. In his second year, he got a

jun-yusho in the National Student Championships. Both not on the large

side, it seems.. "Our favorite rikishi is Hamanoshima. We'd like to become

Sekitori as soon as we can", they said. They will be both starting from

Maezumo in Haru.

Kintamayama reported about Baruto:

Apr 21, 2004, 20:04

Well, Kaido, the other Estonian Asashosakari was talking about in this

thread, has joined as well, and he will be joining Mihogaseki-beya.. Nice,

Asashosakari!! He is 1.97 meters/142 kilos. He is a Junior Judo champion.

He also has some Amasumo experience . " I'd like to become a Sekitori

quickly", he said. The two Estonians hope to pass the regular entrance

inspections on the 27th, and begin Mae-zumo in Natsu. I wonder what

interesting shikonas will be given here, seeing as Kaido is already

taken.Kaidoyama? And the other guy from Irumagawa named Ott? Ototsukasa,

since all Irumagawa rikishi's shikona end with a *tsukasa? Shirley?

In May, 1974, Masuiyama at Maegashira4 ( present Mihogaseki-Oyakata) finished second in the good results of 12 wins and three losses, and won the Technique Prize.

One of the three losses was suffered from Yutakayama at Maegashira6 (presant Minato-Oyakata).

Yutakayama also won the fighting spirit Prize with the results of 11-4 in the basho.

Masuiyama was promoted to Ozeki in the miraculous situation in after years, and, on the other hand, Yutakayama was not able to be fixed to Sanyaku.

However, I do not think that so much ability gap existed in both.

I think that the difference existed in three points (luck, personal connections, how to get along in the world).

And the difference seems that it is continuing exist still now.

Especially the difference of connections continues to separate both position.

Wajima who is the officer of a (Gakusei-Engokai)student support meeting is Mihogaseki-Oyakata's friend who played an active part in the same time.

Moreover, existence of Kitanoumi who is the Rijicho of Kyokai, and is the fellow disciples of the same Heya makes his present position advantageous.

Actually, Mihogaseki-beya is one of the heya which are blessed with talented rikishis now and have possibilities most.

Activity like [ when Higonoumi & Hamanoshima of the organization championship of the all Japan student sumo wrestling championship are simultaneously initiated into the past ] is reappearing now.

Although especially Shiraishi of the heya's head was having the capability accepted by school days with a track record, it suffered from the cervical vertebrae sprain at the time of university four years, and was not able to participate in a subsequent convention.

He was not able to acquire the privilege of a Makushita-15-tsukedashi debut according to the situation.

I think that he is one of a few Japanese rikishis with hungry soul.

Although Satoyama is also expected, success in life is behind for a while by injury.

The injury was covered by Keiko with Baruto.

I looked at appearing in the magazine, saying "Baruto has power to the extent that a student sumo wrestling graduate rikishi is broken".

However, he is coming to a standstill a little by a fault peculiar to the person experienced in judo now.

It seems that he who is the judo champion of Estonia has the peculiarity which brings in an opponent to his direction like past Fujinokawa or Wakanojyou.

He will conquer bad habit in the future, and it will become possible to also use the height of height advantageously, if it does not neglect pushing on the front which is the foundations of sumo wrestling.

Anyway, I imagine that three or more rikishis will be promoted to Makuuchi from this Heya in the future.

The relation with student sumo wrestling is strengthened all the more because a successor (Hamanoshima (Onoe-Oyakata)) is also already in this Heya.

In Dewanoumi-Ichimon, I imagine that this Heya will become the leading Heya more than the Musashigawa-Beya.

Minato-Beya has been in an inactivation state a little since retirement of Minatofuji.

Now, although Nakanokuni most expected in this Heya will achieve promotion certainly to Jyuryo, about the promotion to Makuuchi, I cannot have firm belief yet.

Nakanokini has the track record of the 3rd place in judo in Beijing.

After that, he visited Japan in order to continue judo in Tokai University, and he passed to the Japanese school.

It scouted for him from Minato-Beya at the time.

Although the South Korean introduction candidate had already existed in this Heya those days, his military service became an obstacle and the will of this Heya inclined to Nakanokuni.

This situation shows that the choice of this Heya is not blessed very narrowly to only one foreigner limit compared with the Dewanoumi-Ichimon which divided Baruto and Kitaouji mutually.

Although a small and weak Heya originally has by advantageous that the number of foreigner limit is only one, can't a lack in the fate of Minato-Oyakata harness it?

The fate about banzuke of Minato-Oyakata's active-service age expresses a lack in his fate vividly.

His status was the juryo 5th west in November, 1970, and his results were 11-4.

His status in the following basho was the juryo 1st west, and results were 5-10.

It is followed below, jyuryo 8th west, and 12-3 >>> jyuryo 2th east, and 9-6 >>> jyuryo 2th east(Unbelievably his status was kept unchanged), and 6-9 >>> juryo 5th west(He has returned to the original status at last.).

Implicitness rank exists among the Ichimon or Heya in the sumo world.

However, the existence has not aimed at eliminating other Ichimons, and makes coexistence after delicate balance the meaning.

Therefore, a leading foreigner-rikishi and a leading student sumo graduate rikishi will also join Tokitsukaze-Ichimon from now on, in order to maintain the state. ;-)

Masuiyama Shogo (Masuiyama Daishiro)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Heya: Mihogaseki Beya

Born: September 16, 1948 (on the registry November 16)

From: Himeji City, Hyogo Prefecture (actually born in Chuo-ward Tokyo)

Dohyo debut: January 1967

Juryo debut: July 1969

Makuuchi debut: March 1970

Last basho: March 1981

Shikona: Zuiryu => Masuiyama

Highest rank: Ozeki

Career: 59 Bashos 422 wins 435 losses 18 kyujo Jyun Yusho 3 Ginosho 5 Kinboshi 4 (Wajima-3, Kitanomi -1)

Favorite techniques: Uwatenage, Uchimuso, Katasukashi and other leg and yotsu moves

Height, weight: 180 cm, 109 kg

Toshiyori: Onogawa => Mihogaseki

Mihogaseki oyakata is Osaka Sumo Komusubi Tamanomori's grandson and Ozeki Masuiyama's eldest son. Since he was going to elementary school, he loved swimming but he also wanted to participate in sumo so when he was in Grade 2 at Nihon University Junior High School, he asked his father (former Mihogaseki Oyakata) to let him join the heya but was refused as he was told he wasn't big enough to be a rikishi.

When he was in his first year at Nihon University High School, he won the Kanto area Swimming Championship and got to compete in the Japan National Sport Fall Tournaments representing the Kanto region that includes Tokyo and was even invited to join the university swimming club. However he soon realized that his time was not good enough to compete successfully in the elite tournaments and he decided to go into Ozumo. Again he asked his father to join the heya but he still did not let him join initially. But after he told the oykata he would then join Kasugano Beya where Tochinoumi whom he liked belonged to, his father finally agreed with a probation.

Initially he wanted to use his own name as his shikona but there was already someone with the same name so he picked a shikona of ""Sui Ryu" (水竜)(Water Dragon) from his swimming background . When he was told the "Sui" would not bring a good luck he changed it to "Zui" (瑞).

Masuiyama started out as a Tsuppari rikishi but after he injured his left wrist joint, he tried out many different techniques by slowing down his opponent with his hands at tachiai and then grabbing the mawashi with his right hand and pulled him in. Ushing his excellent reflexs and flexibile lower backs, he became very skillful in applying a variety of techniques such as Uwtenage, Uchigake, Uchimuso and Katasukashi.

As he was good at going with any technique, he became too obsessed with applying one move or another and his banzuke started going up and down between a Sanyaku and Maegashira ranks as he never could generate enough power to consistently beat the top rikishis.

Masuiyama's sumo started to change for better in the latter half of 1979 and he finally was promoted to Ozeki after the 1980 Hatsu Basho. He said later that he believed it was his first and last chance to ever become an Ozeki so he totally dedicated himself to achieving the goal. The former Mihogaseki oyakata and Masuiyama become the first father and son Ozeki in sumo history (Masuiyama won a Ginosho at the November 1972 Basho and set the record for the first time both father and son ever receiving a Sansho award).

Masuiyama said his most memorable bout was when he won against Wajima on Day 1 bout at the November 1972 Basho when he was going for Ozeki promotion.

Masuiyama had many hobbies but he started a singing career in 1972 and won the most outstanding award from cable radio industry. He recorded "Dakara Konya wa" (That's Why Tonight") with his younger sister and his record "A mumbling of such a woman" sold 540 thousand copies and another "I fell in love with Yuko" became a million seller with over 1.3 million copies sold. He was also good at painting and regulary exhibited his work at a gallery with his father who was an accomplished artist as well.

Although Satoyama is also expected, success in life is behind for a while by injury.

I looked at appearing in the magazine, saying "Baruto has power to the extent that a student sumo wrestling graduate rikishi is broken".

Does this mean Satoyama has injured himself in keiko after Haru basho? He was 5-2 in makushita in Haru so must have been quite healthy.

Thanks Susanoo and Jonosuke for the reports on Masuiyama.

(Being unsure...)

Actually, I think it could be quite a good idea to also have a featured rikishi from the past (say 1970s or older). I would be very curious to learn about the accomplishments of the past rikishis.

Does this mean Satoyama has injured himself in keiko after Haru basho? He was 5-2 in makushita in Haru so must have been quite healthy.

I am sorry in the shortage of explanation.

Satoyama was injured during keiko with Baruto in front of the Basho in May, last year.

He sprained the left knee and hurt his outside ligament.

I had the mistaken memory that he was absent from the Natsu-Basho with the injury.

In the Basho, he participated from the 6th and got the result of five victories and two days off.

And Shiraishi was five wins and two losses.

The following Basho in July Shiraishi attained Yusho with complete 7 victorys and he was promoted to the Sandanme ahead of Mr. Satoyama.

I had an illusion that the gap of the Banzuke between two rikishs of the time originated in Kyujyo of Satoyama by injury.

I have noticed my mistake by your indication.

The following Basho in September, Shiroishi got 7 victories and promotion was favorably continued.

On the other hand, Satoyama lost the play-off with Baruto in the Jyonidan.

I do not expect that Satoyama is inferior to Shiraishi or Baruto in a present stage.

Too, I think that that injury decreased his capability a little.

Anyway, I am going to continue observing four persons who added Kurazono to these three rikishis as a future expected rikishi.

I did not describe yet at all Kurazono who is one year older than Shiraishi or Satoyama.

In fact, Kurazono's father is a person important for Mihogaseki-beya.

His father achieved the national championship with Matsugane-Oyakata(former Ozeki Wakashimazu) as a Kagoshima representative in his high school days.

Then, he goes on to Nihon University and is in the position of a referee of amateur sumo wrestling still now.

His contribution did not only connect Nihon University and Mihogaeki-beya.

In fact, in Estonia, he had relation by the network of amateur sports.

He is just the person that got to know existence of Barthes(and Kitaouji) at the very beginning.

For the whole sumo world, it is an indispensable person and he will continue from now on also. :-)

Thank you Susanoo-san for introducing some new aspects of both Satoyama and Kurazono! (Sign of approval)

Really great to get more and more information on various rikishi like this. Every week there are new rikishi entering the bundle of "who to follow in ozumo" and that is awesome! Not sure how majority of sumofans think about this but for me learning about new rikishi and their heya-mates at the same time adds a special flavour in following their careers and individual bashos. Hard to explain why though. So this kind of background info like Susanoo-san just wrote about much less talked rikishi (like Kurazono, or his father's role in this case) truly serves a fruitful purpose.

Have there been any reports what the keiko is like at Mihogaseki-beya? How strong Shiraishi and Baruto are in comparison with Satoyama or Kurazono and whether the fact that all these guys are on a clear upward trend and building their careers waiting for that juryo debut make keiko extra sharp and folcused there? Like I wrote earlier it really seemed like Baruto was very interested in his heya-mate's bout even when he himself had lost earlier that day. Small details sure but such genuine reaction to his heya-mate's loss suggests there may be very good atmophere in the heya and criss-cross support or so.

Nobody has gone to watch asageiko at Mihogaseki?

Masuiyama Shogo (Masuiyama Daishiro)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Heya: Mihogaseki Beya

Born: September 16, 1948 (on the registry November 16)

From: Himeji City, Hyogo Prefecture (actually born in Chuo-ward Tokyo)

Dohyo debut: January 1967

Juryo debut: July 1969

Makuuchi debut: March 1970

Last basho: March 1981

Shikona: Zuiryu => Masuiyama

Highest rank: Ozeki

Career: 59 Bashos 422 wins 435 losses 18 kyujo Jyun Yusho 3 Ginosho 5 Kinboshi 4 (Wajima-3, Kitanomi -1)

Favorite techniques: Uwatenage, Uchimuso, Katasukashi and other leg and yotsu moves

Height, weight: 180 cm, 109 kg

Toshiyori: Onogawa => Mihogaseki

Mihogaseki oyakata is Osaka Sumo Komusubi Tamanomori's grandson and Ozeki Masuiyama's eldest son. Since he was going to elementary school, he loved swimming but he also wanted to participate in sumo so when he was in Grade 2 at Nihon University Junior High School, he asked his father (former Mihogaseki Oyakata) to let him join the heya but was refused as he was told he wasn't big enough to be a rikishi.

When he was in his first year at Nihon University High School, he won the Kanto area Swimming Championship and got to compete in the Japan National Sport Fall Tournaments representing the Kanto region that includes Tokyo and was even invited to join the university swimming club. However he soon realized that his time was not good enough to compete successfully in the elite tournaments and he decided to go into Ozumo. Again he asked his father to join the heya but he still did not let him join initially. But after he told the oykata he would then join Kasugano Beya where Tochinoumi whom he liked belonged to, his father finally agreed with a probation.

Initially he wanted to use his own name as his shikona but there was already someone with the same name so he picked a shikona of ""Sui Ryu" (水竜)(Water Dragon) from his swimming background . When he was told the "Sui" would not bring a good luck he changed it to "Zui" (瑞).

Masuiyama started out as a Tsuppari rikishi but after he injured his left wrist joint, he tried out many different techniques by slowing down his opponent with his hands at tachiai and then grabbing the mawashi with his right hand and pulled him in. Ushing his excellent reflexs and flexibile lower backs, he became very skillful in applying a variety of techniques such as Uwtenage, Uchigake, Uchimuso and Katasukashi.

As he was good at going with any technique, he became too obsessed with applying one move or another and his banzuke started going up and down between a Sanyaku and Maegashira ranks as he never could generate enough power to consistently beat the top rikishis.

Masuiyama's sumo started to change for better in the latter half of 1979 and he finally was promoted to Ozeki after the 1980 Hatsu Basho. He said later that he believed it was his first and last chance to ever become an Ozeki so he totally dedicated himself to achieving the goal. The former Mihogaseki oyakata and Masuiyama become the first father and son Ozeki in sumo history (Masuiyama won a Ginosho at the November 1972 Basho and set the record for the first time both father and son ever receiving a Sansho award).

Masuiyama said his most memorable bout was when he won against Wajima on Day 1 bout at the November 1972 Basho when he was going for Ozeki promotion.

Masuiyama had many hobbies but he started a singing career in 1972 and won the most outstanding award from cable radio industry. He recorded "Dakara Konya wa" (That's Why Tonight") with his younger sister and his record "A mumbling of such a woman" sold 540 thousand copies and another "I fell in love with Yuko" became a million seller with over 1.3 million copies sold. He was also good at painting and regulary exhibited his work at a gallery with his father who was an accomplished artist as well.

Hi folks,

Trying to find the right place to post this: This last week I was taking a walk in the area south of Ryogoku and found that there has been a transformation in the old Mihogaseki-beya: front door has big fancy new glass windows, first-floor wall has been tidied up, and -- Tadaaa! -- the place is now Chanko Masuiyama and has turned into a restaurant. Some time ago I observed that the master could easily pass for a man 20 years younger. But -- it happens to us all eventually -- the last time I saw him on a singing program it was clear that all those missing years had suddenly crashed down on him. The applause was as warm as ever, but it was clear that in appearance and in voice he could no longer cut it. Presumably the family has now turned to other means of making a living -- and I say, good luck to them! Father and son Ozeki Masuiyama, and father and son Mihogaski stablemaster, have a great legacy.

I saw the father, as a rather distant person, in my very earliest days of taking visiting journalists to watch asageiko, when the son was active and on the rise. I watched Masuiyama II come up and, apart from his sumo kudos, found him a very approachable man. Very best wishes to Chanko Masuiyama!

Orion

• Like 2