Sign in to follow this  
Rijicho

Active double nicks

Active double nicks will be treated very harshly from now on. Members who have a double nick which they also use in conversations will not be tolerated. Thorough scan will be made to spot all possible double nicks and based on evidence and common sense, banning will become an option. In the rules it has not been banned exclusively but to me using active double nicks is a big crime and no mercy will be given. If some veteran member has an active nick they have been using too, send me pm immediately and I will delete the other nick. Otherwise no matter who you are, you will be banned immediately if it becomes evident that double nick is in use and you won't report it now.

The reason for this is that I have suspicion of some incidents already and will ban the guilty parties if the probability is high enough after further examination. I am completely fed up with this.

With respect Rijicho shouldn't you be a little clearer on what your saying?

I mean I know most if not all will know what a 'nick' is but its a strange choice of word.

Edit Theres only one Fujisan,that I can tell you.

Edited by Fujisan

I, for one, will admit that I don't know what you mean by a "nick," at least not precisely. Do you mean multiple forum user names for one person? Is that all it is?

If so, what does "Members who have a double nick which they also use in conversations will not be tolerated" mean? What is the significance of the "which they also use in conversation" part? (As opposed to just having a double nick?)

Thanks

J

I, for one, will admit that I don't know what you mean by a "nick," at least not precisely. Do you mean multiple forum user names for one person? Is that all it is?

If so, what does "Members who have a double nick which they also use in conversations will not be tolerated" mean? What is the significance of the "which they also use in conversation" part? (As opposed to just having a double nick?)

Thanks

'Nick' is short for nickname so yes Rijicho is referring to the active use of two names at the same time as for the 'in conversation' part I think that is emphasising the 'active use of double nicknames' part of his ruling.

I know for a fact that one prominent member has posted under 2 names in the past but not in a malicious fashion and the 2nd name has now been deleted-Right Rijicho? (You are going off-topic...)

More than one active account is more appropriate term. One account is enough for everyone but it is not so bad to have another account if there is a good reason and if one doesn't post anything under that secondary account. There are many members who have registered first and then perhaps posted a couple of messages but then disappeared for a long time and registered again with a new name and the old account is never used again. That is not so bad either and understandable if there was no malicious intent. Naturally nowadays banned members are banned for good and reemerging as some softer version of the initial baboon is not allowed.

Using 2 or more names on forum actively is the biggest no no.

Fujisan! Every time I look at your avatar it reminds me of a pilot. You really look like a pilot of a commercial aeroplane sir. Kind of like an advertisement for some flight company. "Our pilots take you to your destination safely". Excellent.

Fujisan! Every time I look at your avatar it reminds me of a pilot. You really look like a pilot of a commercial aeroplane sir. Kind of like an advertisement for some flight company. "Our pilots take you to your destination safely". Excellent.

Thanks!

The picture is me sat on my best mates brand new leather settee.

I wanted a picture for the super banzuke and my mate wanted to show off his new settee,so everyone was happy. (You are going off-topic...) B-)

I'd like to turn in Kaikitsune Makoto for using multiple accounts, he also posts as Rijicho. Oh, wait...

Seriously, I'm usually pretty paranoid about the use of sockpuppets (another couple of forums that I'm frequenting require being vigilant), but I've never really got the vibe that it might be a problem here. BTW, this thread should probably be highlighted as an Essential or an Informative Message if you're serious about this...

I had a problem on one forum when a lady from the same town as me started causing trouble and it turned out she had the same ISP number because when I was on Web tv my provider NTL used the same number for the whole town.

That caused a right(Censored) stir I can tell you.

Her name was Sue and for a while everyone was calling me 'The boy named Sue.'

Sounds like a joke but its absolutely true.

Her name was Sue and for a while everyone was calling me 'The boy named Sue.'
Did You sue her? (Showing respect...) (...and did she really purr?)

Did You sue her? (Eating...) (...and did she really purr?)

Yesss very funny,now wheres that groaning icon. (Showing respect...) (Holiday feeling...) (Nodding yes...)

personally I think it would be best to name names of double posters if known.

It is against the rules - why protect them?

I know I have been banned from Wikipedia posting / additions as someone else accessed using my 'group' of ISP access numbers (whatever that means) and misbehaved. Apparently they did so in regards to US country and western music.

Oh my and ho hum!

Active double nicks will be treated very harshly from now on. Members who have a double nick which they also use in conversations will not be tolerated. Thorough scan will be made to spot all possible double nicks and based on evidence and common sense, banning will become an option. In the rules it has not been banned exclusively but to me using active double nicks is a big crime and no mercy will be given. If some veteran member has an active nick they have been using too, send me pm immediately and I will delete the other nick. Otherwise no matter who you are, you will be banned immediately if it becomes evident that double nick is in use and you won't report it now.

The reason for this is that I have suspicion of some incidents already and will ban the guilty parties if the probability is high enough after further examination. I am completely fed up with this.

I most certainly have only 1 active nick (this one ;-)) but I am not sure I see what the problem is.

is it

- to prevent banned users from showing up again

- to prevent 'fake' discussions

or something else entirely?

this is the only web based forum on which I am active, so perhaps I am missing a more obvious issue?

Banned members can certainly emerge as new members but it is not so easy to get banned from sumoforum so usually banned members are idiots, disrespectful, just nasty bastards with bad personality in general who can't change their stripes just like zebra can't. Hence they are usually silently rebanned without much publicity. Sure, we may have banned members here in sheep's clothes trying their best to behave enough to disguise their personality of just lurk passively. Impossible to screen everything.

So yes, that is one reason why double nicks are banned but I think the other reason is even bigger. If you have more than one nick, you can take part in same discussions in devious ways and provoke other members with an agenda etc. That can be fun to you but I don't want to see that here so it is not allowed.

Some suspicions certainly are out there. Some with more evidence than others. When the crucial stage of evidence burden is achieved, banning will happen silently and unceremoniously. Then again it is not a priority on forum to hunt these down and certainly won't allocate massive amount of time to this but at least the perpretators should know it now and then there are no excuses left. This is not a big problem on sumoforum but small problems can be eradicated too when time allows.