Sign in to follow this  
rodarvus

Interesting trivia fact

Taiho entered Makuuchi in 1960.01, and won his 17th Yusho in 1965.07 - five years and six months later.

Asashoryu entered Makuuchi in 2001.01, and if he wins this tournament, he'll have won his 17th Yusho - five years and six months later.

Still 15 Yushos to go, but a very good acomplishment so far. :-S (In jonokuchi...) B-)

I think, Asashoryu will create it, even if I hoped that Hakuho could win his 2nd yusho.

Some people said that with the rise of Hakuho, Kotooshu and Baruto, competition will be more intense, but now doesn't seem to be that way.

Sorry to disappoint everyone, currently, the trend is leaning to Asashoryu dominating for a decade. With the mobility or the skill, I don't think we will stop seeing Asashoryu winning in a sweep fashion. I think we will see Chiyonofuji or Taiho like winning trend in the future.

Guest Super Sumo Fan
Some people said that with the rise of Hakuho, Kotooshu and Baruto, competition will be more intense, but now doesn't seem to be that way.

Sorry to disappoint everyone, currently, the trend is leaning to Asashoryu dominating for a decade. With the mobility or the skill, I don't think we will stop seeing Asashoryu winning in a sweep fashion. I think we will see Chiyonofuji or Taiho like winning trend in the future.

I agree, unless Hakuho, Kotooshu and Baruto really sharpen their skills, Asashoryu will continue to dominate.

Agreed.... Baruto has nearly completed his second basho in Makuuchi and still has not won a Yusho. Hakuho has turned 21 and thus is at an age where most rikishi are fading fast. None of them will have a chance to raise their game any further and become a threat to Asashoryu in the future...

I personally have the opinion, that people in the forum tend to overreact. When Asashoryu only won 1 of the first three bashos, "everyone" was talking of a new era, of Asashoryu winning only 1-2 bashos a year ...

Now the opposite is the case. It will never be like 2004, but Asashoryu will play a dominant role in the future.

Agreed.... Baruto has nearly completed his second basho in Makuuchi and still has not won a Yusho. Hakuho has turned 21 and thus is at an age where most rikishi are fading fast. None of them will have a chance to raise their game any further and become a threat to Asashoryu in the future...

I'd like to make it sure. This is a SARCASTIC statement, isn't it? :-) STILL has not won a Yusho (Clapping wildly...)

Edited by Shimpu

I'd like to make it sure. This is a SARCASTIC statement, isn't it? (Clapping wildly...) STILL has not won a Yusho :-D

:-)

Taiho entered Makuuchi in 1960.01, and won his 17th Yusho in 1965.07 - five years and six months later.

Asashoryu entered Makuuchi in 2001.01, and if he wins this tournament, he'll have won his 17th Yusho - five years and six months later.

Still 15 Yushos to go, but a very good acomplishment so far. (Blushing...) (Laughing...) (Applauding...)

Hmmmm.... very interesting indeed....! I think we will definately look back 10 years from now and know that these are the years of Asashoryu, another Dai-Yokozuna! (In jonokuchi...) (Dohyo-iri...)

I agree, unless Hakuho, Kotooshu and Baruto really sharpen their skills, Asashoryu will continue to dominate.

I don't think that Hakuho should be on that list, personally. Over 50 wins in 3 tournaments is nothing to sneeze at, and he's looking pretty sharp.

I don't think that Hakuho should be on that list, personally. Over 50 wins in 3 tournaments is nothing to sneeze at, and he's looking pretty sharp.

Personally I agree in principle with you. 50 wins in 3 tournaments is indeed grand, not even Asashoryu ever did that.

(Clapping wildly...)

Personally I agree in principle with you. 50 wins in 3 tournaments is indeed grand, not even Asashoryu ever did that.

(Clapping wildly...)

Those performances with 17 wins against minus 2 losses don't come easy. (Laughing...)

Well, I don't completely agree. I think Asashoryu fans should savour these days when he is so dominating. I personally think he will suddenly stop winning more than a stray basho (whether because of some injury or something else) and although it could come tomorrow or in five years it could well be rather abrupt. It has happened before. At this point I don't think Asashoryu will beat Taiho's 32 yusho but rather end up around 26-27. Which means at least 3 more years of good service.

Edited by Yubiquitoyama

(Laughing...)

Those performances with 17 wins against minus 2 losses don't come easy. B-)

Hmm.. how about 1 kettei-sen win and 2x2 tomoe-sen wins after 15-0, that would make it 50 wins.. unofficially at least.. (Clapping wildly...)

Now I just have to go search hakkeyoi for the last time 15-0 tomoe-sen took place.. :-/

over 50 wins in 3 tournaments wow! he really must be good! Especially since you only fight 45 bouts in 3 tournaments!.......

Well, I don't completely agree. I think Asashoryu fans should savour these days when he is so dominating. I personally think he will suddenly stop winning more than a stray basho (whether because of some injury or something else) and although it could come tomorrow or in five years it could well be rather abrupt. It has happened before. At this point I don't think Asashoryu will beat Taiho's 32 yusho but rather end up around 26-27. Which means at least 3 more years of good service.

I would think this is a more likely scenario at this time. But I used to think Asashoryu could win barely 18-24 wins top 18months ago. So I am edging up..

(Shaking head...)

(Gyoji...) Of course I meant 4 bashos. I'm starting to sound a bit like Graham Chapman in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. :-P

Still 15 Yushos to go, but a very good acomplishment so far. (Laughing...) :-) ;-)

James Hardy - Daily Yomiuri reporter

must have trawled this thread as he has quoted you - an "attentive fan" in his write up.

Sumo Forum - a good source for journos it would seem :-)

Nice to see JH credit his sources this go-round...I think Nishinoshima pointed out the striking similarity between parts of his articles and posts on this board in another topic.

(Laughing...) Of course I meant 4 bashos. I'm starting to sound a bit like Graham Chapman in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. :-)

is there a holy hand grenade about? :)

With Hakuho already being a threat to Asashoryu, Kisenosato shaping up a little more, Kotooshu getting over his injuries and Bart getting some more experience I think we'll see soon a thrilling bashos where Asa must put 110% to fight for yusho. And maybe even some more rikishi coming up from lower ranks. IMHO.