Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

NHK on satellite

anyone know if it comes over as directly broadcasted from NHK or do we get the english filter (I would really love it if I could get just the Japanese but.......*sigh*)

Both, as far as I know. You get to choose.

anyone know if it comes over as directly broadcasted from NHK or do we get the english filter (I would really love it if I could get just the Japanese but.......*sigh*)

Both, as far as I know. You get to choose.

(Neener, neener...) But, you can choose what language (Japanese or English) you want it to broadcast in. Very Cool!

I would consider paying by the month if I were you rather than too far in advance.

It appears the Hawaiians have lost some sumo on TV viewing for reasons still unclear so.........

ANYONE KNOW IF I CAN IMPROVE MY SATELLITE SITUATION?

I get sumo (as TV Japan) on Dish Network satellite. Since I live in the countryside and I have to use DirecTV for my high-speed internet, I actually have the Dish Network satellite solely for sumo. The Dish satellite receiver offers English language as an option, but it doesn't work. The Dish TV tech people simply say that they don't offer the English language option as part of their TV Japan service. Is there another satellite company that offers the Enlgish language alternative for NHK/TVJapan? From the observations above, there seems to be that service out there somewhere.

I get sumo (as TV Japan) on Dish Network satellite. Since I live in the countryside and I have to use DirecTV for my high-speed internet, I actually have the Dish Network satellite solely for sumo. The Dish satellite receiver offers English language as an option, but it doesn't work. The Dish TV tech people simply say that they don't offer the English language option as part of their TV Japan service. Is there another satellite company that offers the Enlgish language alternative for NHK/TVJapan? From the observations above, there seems to be that service out there somewhere.

I dont have Dish TV (still wondering why), but from others' posts on the SML , I understand that the languages are reversed. Apparently setting your feed to Japanese spits out English, and vice-versa.

I dont have Dish TV (still wondering why), but from others' posts on the SML , I understand that the languages are reversed. Apparently setting your feed to Japanese spits out English, and vice-versa.

Many thanks, Takanorappa. I'm fairly new and missed the other postings on this. I'll change the setting, TIVO tonight, and hold my breath till the morning.

Many thanks, Takanorappa. I'm fairly new and missed the other postings on this. I'll change the setting, TIVO tonight, and hold my breath till the morning.

Please let us know if this worked. We're thinking of sacking our cable provider and getting Dish TV just for sumo, also.

Thanks!

Angie the Medium Well Done in Toasty Texas, US

No need to hold your breath. That's exactly what the people at Dish Network told me when I couldn't get the English language broadcast. First, go to "System setup" on the menu. Click on it and select "Alternate audio". Then select "Japanese". Even though you have selected Japanese, the reverse will be true on a bilingual Japanese-English broadcast and you will hear it in English. Getting English broadcasts when you select Japanese makes absolutely no sense, but it works. B-) I'm very surprised that the Dish techs you spoke to didn't know that. Sumo is listed in the TV Japan program guide as <J/E>, which means that sumo is broadcast in both Japanese and English with Japanese as the primary language and English as the secondary language. I would ask you to inform us if all this worked, but that's not necessary. It will. Enjoy your English language sumo broadcasts.

No need to hold your breath. That's exactly what the people at Dish Network told me when I couldn't get the English language broadcast. First, go to "System setup" on the menu. Click on it and select "Alternate audio". Then select "Japanese". Even though you have selected Japanese, the reverse will be true on a bilingual Japanese-English broadcast and you will hear it in English. Getting English broadcasts when you select Japanese makes absolutely no sense, but it works. :-) I'm very surprised that the Dish techs you spoke to didn't know that. Sumo is listed in the TV Japan program guide as <J/E>, which means that sumo is broadcast in both Japanese and English with Japanese as the primary language and English as the secondary language. I would ask you to inform us if all this worked, but that's not necessary. It will. Enjoy your English language sumo broadcasts.

My newfound optimism notwithstanding, I'll give all a progress report tomorrow. Sad to say, from many tech calls over the years to many vendors of many products and services B-) , it doesn't surprise me in the least that two calls yield utterly contrary advice. (Praying...)

Thanks, sekitori!! You've given me sweet dreams. (Sleeping...)

It's probably been amply implied here already but I'll say it outright anyway...if you watch sumo through TV Japan on Dish Network, and any problems arise, call TV Japan first, before calling Dish Network. You'll usually get the problem solved, or at least figured out.

(Applauding...) Happy day. Perhaps there's a life-lesson here: embrace the paradox. In the case of Dish Network satellite and TV Japan, ask for Japanese and get English. Thanks to all who advised me on this matter!

(Punk rocker...) Happy day. Perhaps there's a life-lesson here: embrace the paradox. In the case of Dish Network satellite and TV Japan, ask for Japanese and get English. Thanks to all who advised me on this matter!

I know... Strange how things work, isn't it?? I discovered that quite by accident... :-P But as long as you can do either, by toggling English/Japanese, then it's pretty good, I say! B-)

Edited by Bishonohana