Sign in to follow this  
Daigaiguma

Greetings from Daigaiguma!

Hi there, this is Daigaiguma - Big Foreign Bear. I joined the sumo forum during the Natsu Basho and so far I'm very glad I did.

Just a brief introduction. I currently live in Kure, Japan (in Hiroshima-ken). I'm working as an AET (assistant English teacher) at 2 junior highs and 4 elementary schools. Last year, I lived in Taiwan and worked as a conversation teacher at two high schools. I will be returning to Taiwan come July 22nd. My hometown is Silverdale, Washington.

I was a casual fan of sumo from about age 12 (around the time Akebono became yokozuna), but because it wasn't on cable TV a lot, I didn't have much chance to watch it. I visited Japan as an exchange student when I was 16 and I got to see the Kokugikan from the outside. Since then it was my dream to actually go there and watch live sumo. I became a big sumo fan when I first arrived in Japan about 11 months ago. I watched the tail end of the Nagoya Basho and got all wrapped up in the Aki Basho, including an awesome match between Asashoryu and Kotoshu that cemented me as a big Asashoryu fan. I've been to Fukuoka and watched the Kyuushuu Basho and lived my dream by going to the Kokugikan and watching senshuraku of the Hatsu Basho. A week before I leave, I'll be heading up to Nagoya on nakabi for one last live glimpse. Not a bad year.

Like I said, I'm a big Asashoryu fan, and I also like the ever-grumpy Kisenosato. When I was younger, I loved Mainoumi, Kotonowaka, and Takanohana. Aside from Asa, I'm a big fan of my ken-brother Kitazakura.

I look forward to rooting for all my favorites at the next basho. I really enjoy all the comments posted on here and hopefully as I grow more knowledgable, I'll be able to post some things myself. Until then, thanks for this great site and all your contributions.

As Always,

'Guma

Welcome!

I know Kure quite well.

I used to live and work on Noumi-jima - a couple of islands and bridges away. I would sometimes go across to Kure to visit friends, and to eat steak, (and drink cheap beer) at the American Army base there - which must be one of the tiniest bases in the world (only about half-a-dozen guys, but the base had EVERYTHING!)...

Hi Daigaiguma and welcome to the forum (Nodding yes...)

Welcome Daigaiguma from another big Asashoryu fan. (A yokozuna...)

Chuck in your salt (Nodding yes...) and join the fray.

Welcome to the forum (Clapping wildly...)

(Dohyo-iri...) to the forum Daigaiguma and greetings from Germany. Have fun.

:-S to the Forum, Guma-san! I hope you will enjoy all the great info and discussions here! (Shaking head...)