Sign in to follow this  
yamaneko

GREAT sumo today

Maybe its just me, but today, ive seen the most exciting bouts of this tournament. Three mono-ii so far today, and there were other good ones like the iwakiyama bout, the homasho-futenho one. Even takamisakari's bout was great, classic robocop come from behind sumo.

Baruto's bout might be considered not forward sumo, but it showed the strength of him and his balance/footwork. Might be the only 6'6 350 pounder who could pull that move off. :)

and who is the dang annoying fan who is screaming at the top of his lungs before every bout?

I thought it may be the one old dude who i always see with the funny tall hat in the first rows, but i dont even see him here.

I thought it may be the one old dude who i always see with the funny tall hat in the first rows, but i dont even see him here.

He is the infamous Olympic Ojisan, who is a mainstay at the Tokyo tournaments and fiercely anti gaijin rikishi. Watch him go bananas when Shuzan is on the dohyo. One of the harmless characters we have grown to love. :-D

The loud one is probably one of many lovable drunks who tend to show up during the second week.

Edited by Asojima

I really loved the Homasho-Futenho match.

Power sumo at its best.

The expression of Homasho upon losing is priceless.

He is the infamous Olympic Ojisan, who is a mainstay at the Tokyo tournaments and fiercely anti gaijin rikishi. Watch him go bananas when Shuzan is on the dohyo. One of the harmless characters we have grown to love. :-D

The loud one is probably one of many lovable drunks who tend to show up during the second week.

:-D good grief, not again....

Olympic Jiji isn't a racist, anti-gaijin rikishi anything. He's just some old strange guy who likes sumo. He is a fan of all the rikishi, and is really enthusiastic about several gaijin rikishi, including Asashoryu.

and on another subject. Throwing Zabuton isn't "atrocious" anti-Asashoryu behavior, or whatever. It has always been that way, and it's a harmless celebration. It is the traditional way sumo audiences go "overboard" when a really great match happens or someone wins in a most pleasing and unexpected way.

stop seeing demons where they aren't.

I really loved the Homasho-Futenho match..
I agree with you. I think it was the match of the day. I really thought Homasho was going to win... (On the banzuke...)

indeed, here we go again.....do a search! We should add that not only does he like sumo, but he LOVES the Olympics, hence his name. I haven't been down to the basho yet, but if we're talking about the guy I can hear even on the broadcast, then that's surely not the Olympic Ojisan. Whoever he is though, mighty irritating. Like that woman who used to scream for Takanohana a few years back.

(On the banzuke...) good grief, not again....

Olympic Jiji isn't a racist, anti-gaijin rikishi anything. He's just some old strange guy who likes sumo. He is a fan of all the rikishi, and is really enthusiastic about several gaijin rikishi, including Asashoryu.

indeed, here we go again.....do a search! We should add that not only does he like sumo, but he LOVES the Olympics, hence his name.

(On the banzuke...) good grief, not again....

I made no insinuation that he was racist. From everything I have read, he is a lovable guy who enjoys sumo and is strongly nationalistic, like a lot of Japanese of his age. Nothing particularly bad about that. He also enjoys rooting against foreigners when they are matched up against Japanese rikishi. He is a great fan, and an interesting character. He's very much like many of our favorite forum members. (Beaten...)

fanappreciation_bonanza_10.jpg

fanappreciation_bonanza_11.jpg

Olympic Ojisan from Fan Appreciation Day in December, 2005

that foreign guy on the top could be a model with them looks

I'm assuming that guy is you?