Sign in to follow this  
Mattjila

Chiyotaikai

OK, since no one else seemed to start a topic about it, I will. Watching Dale's movies today, I liked many of the bouts (Ama-Zuma, say). But none of them held a candle to Chiyotaikai's performance against Tokitenku.

Now, yes, I realize this was against Tokitenku, but *that* is what I think of as forward sumo. Great tachi-ai, beautiful nodo-wa, and then the usual Taikai-tsuppari. If Taikai does well this basho, I imagine a bout like this will only help with the YDC.

I never thought I'd see the day again when Chiyotaikai and Miyabiyama bouts were the ones I waited for.

Yup, I've noticed the eerie silence as well. Everytime Chiyotakai was performing poorly during the last years, it only took a moment for his ardent fans to come out and lament how much more powerful he used to be back in the days... Now he's leading 5-0 and looking good for a change and nobody even says a word. I bet they don't want to jinx him! (Kensho parade...)

Edited by Jakusotsu

I bet they don't want to jinx him! (Kensho parade...)

Aw nuts, I forgot the usual GAMBARIZE!

Indeed. Very good bout. Chiyo is like machine gun with these tsupparis. Day before Ama even try to play with his game. B-) Bad idea - this is Chiyotaikai realm (Kensho parade...)

Edited by Shimpu

Come on now...these two (+Shuzan) bokemons are Taikai's favourite tsuppari targets. Ama, Tokitenku and Shuzan that is. Other bokemons can stop him better. Tenho stops him but is pulled down, Hakuho has his problems too against Taikai actually. His tsuppari is still good though at times...

You are right, Kaikitsune. Bokemons are generally not tsuppary men and they are not a good tsuppary resisters.

But, I liked Ama bokemon's tsuppary attempt.....he wants to be very inventive and challenge himself. Good attitude.

What is a bokemon? pikachu01.gif

Edited by ilovesumo

What is a bokemon? pikachu01.gif

It is our esteemed Rijicho's invention, and is basically a ridiculing way of saying boch or boke , which is wrestler in Mongolian.

Thank's BuBa. Never heard of that. (Doing a wave...)

I never thought I'd see the day again when Chiyotaikai and Miyabiyama bouts were the ones I waited for.

My thoughts also...

That was just awsome nodo-wa. (Doing a wave...)

dang, taikai really going all out this basho with the tsuppari. Havent seem him this active in quite a while. the taikai miyabiyama bout this basho should be good. Will be like a boxing match.

t is our esteemed Rijicho's invention, and is basically a ridiculing way of saying boch or boke , which is wrestler in Mongolian.

BuBa-san! No ridiculing. It is benevolent nickname of which I pathologically proud of! How apt can a nickname be.. Like you said Mongolians have boke-background so obviously "boke". Then most people know Pokemon which adds humourous flavour to the word. Then "mon" could be "man" as a Mongolian rikishi is also bokeman but since they are also Mongolians (Mon), it is convenient to say "bokemon"!

So it is very informative and has humourous touch. Boke, Mongolia, Pokemon. Despite of my antipathy towards Asashoryu, I like many Mongolian rikishi so bokemon is benevolent without malign component.

Taikai sure did his tsuki well today too. Takekaze is a tourist but nevertheless, he isn't bokemon and has cannon ball shape and oshi-brain so good sumo by Taikai.

boy that Chiyotaikai, he sure is on the way to retirement, that pesky 6-0 start keeps dashing the hopes of people who think he is just so terrible and should quit sumo.

the tsuppari machine is sparing no one this basho.

Edited by _the_mind_

Okay then Mr. Mind, let's start a little informal poll, shall we? Any chance that Big Sea can actually carry numbers like this into a yusho race? How long can he stay zensho? What kind of record will he finish with?

I say he goes 8-0 and is out of the yusho race by day 11, finishing up with a 'Barely There Ozeki' 9-6 or 10-5 (since Asa is gone). And the 8-0 is only if he doesn't get smeared by Kissy tomorrow. Of course, he will probably take a sly slap-down instead. He certainly won't win by oshidashi. But that's just a prediction . . .

boy that Chiyotaikai, he sure is on the way to retirement, that pesky 6-0 start keeps dashing the hopes of people who think he is just so terrible and should quit sumo.

He was very close to retirement not to long ago. As for his tsuppari, it is spectacular at times but when he misses his target or the other rikishi gets inside of the tsuppari, he is in big trouble (Yucky...) .

Okay then Mr. Mind, let's start a little informal poll, shall we? Any chance that Big Sea can actually carry numbers like this into a yusho race? How long can he stay zensho? What kind of record will he finish with?

I say he goes 8-0 and is out of the yusho race by day 11, finishing up with a 'Barely There Ozeki' 9-6 or 10-5 (since Asa is gone). And the 8-0 is only if he doesn't get smeared by Kissy tomorrow. Of course, he will probably take a sly slap-down instead. He certainly won't win by oshidashi. But that's just a prediction . . .

last time i checked he is leading the Yusho race to which you just refered. does it matter how many days he "goes zensho"? not really. he isnt Asa, and no one suggested he is of that skill level. but he is hardly on the way out the door as your general intention suggests. he needs only be in the running for the yusho, which he is. .....and i find "barely there ozeki" with 10 wins nearly laughable. FYI "barely ozeki" Chiyotaikai won 11 in november.

and if you MUST win more then 10 to be called better then "barely ozeki" then in the last 6 basho Tochi was a REAL ozeki 3 times....Chiyo 1...Kaio none, and Kotooshu none. ...so according to you, there were only 4 ozeki worthy performences by any ozeki in the last 6 basho, out of a possible 20 chances.

you sound like a hater of Chiyo's, dont be mad because he is doing well, its his job. be happy for him, dont root for him to lose. i wonder how many other ozki after 44 consecutive basho as ozeki meet your qualifications to stay ozeki of getting 11+ every single basho.

Edited by _the_mind_

He was very close to retirement not to long ago. As for his tsuppari, it is spectacular at times but when he misses his target or the other rikishi gets inside of the tsuppari, he is in big trouble (Bye, bye...) .

true enough, serious injuries do that to rikishi. when you tear a pectoral (if i recall thats what the injury was) im not surprised he thought about retiring. the fact he is doing good sumo right now is a testament to how hard he works for it. .... a torn pec would make tsuppari nearly impossible, and his style of sumo at all. he has come back from his injuries well. i wish him well. ....i do not think he will get promoted at all, but i am not rooting for him to retire like some other people seem to.

....i do not think he will get promoted at all, but i am not rooting for him to retire like some other people seem to.
 Well, let me make it clear that I am not rooting for him to retire either. I won't deny that he is not one of my favorite rikishi, mainly because of the very style that has made him successful, but I would never hope that he or anyone else would retire.. (Bye, bye...)

dang, cant believe he won again today. I knew his tsuppari wasnt going to work on kisenosato, but then the old step to the side chiyotaikai that we all know and love made an apperance. Looks like his foot went out first, but im guessing no mono ii because of the dead body rule.

Very nice finish by Taikai. Kisenosato withstood the tsuppari very firmly and didn't budge at all. First pull was inefficient but enabled Taikai to start a new series of thrusts. Kisenosato didn't give in an inch and went forward but then that well-timed double pull brought the win to Taikai. The first pull during the second wave caused some problems to Kisenosato but he was still on the driver's seat and would have pushed Taikai out but Taikai did his second pull and pivoted on the tawara with his other foot exhibiting excellent dohyo sense. "My sumo is all about using the dohyo fully" he said some days ago and this was another example of that. If you look carefully, his first pull almost doomed him but his second yank behind Kise's neck did the trick. Simply impeccable timing. Double-yank. That sure was heavy landing for Kise.

Just my opinion, but...

I think Chiytaikai thrusting forward to set up the pull down, then pulling down and backing up, finally pirouetting on the tawara as his opponent falls past him for yet another ballet-like win is really lame to watch.

Him being at 7-0 is really putting a hurt on my sumo world-view.

(Chucking salt...)

Just my opinion, but...

I think Chiytaikai thrusting forward to set up the pull down, then pulling down and backing up, finally pirouetting on the tawara as his opponent falls past him for yet another ballet-like win is really lame to watch.

Him being at 7-0 is really putting a hurt on my sumo world-view.

(Applauding...)

That seems to be the prevailing opinion on the forum in fact. I feel in the minority actually liking Chiyotaikai (including his sumo) more now than in the past. I hope he can keep it up all through the basho now. Incredible ring sense. (Chucking salt...)

Edited by Yubiquitoyama

That seems to be the prevailing opinion on the forum in fact. I feel in the minority actually liking Chiyotaikai (including his sumo) more now than in the past. I hope he can keep it up all through the basho now.

I actually like his sumo more now than I did in the past, too. (And not just because I have a perverse enjoyment of everything that gets other fans bouncing off the walls for no good reason.) For the longest time, people kept complaining that Taikai was this one-dimensional oaf who didn't know anything other than tsuki-tsuki-tsuki. Now that he's had to expand his repertoire due to persistant injuries, people think it's even worse. Oh well. I for one have been quite impressed by him this basho...I didn't think he would look this good if he's healthy enough to use both the tsuki-oshi stuff and the lightning-quick tawara reflexes in the same basho. Is it traditional ozeki sumo? Nah, but that's generally true for any Ozeki past his prime. Is it Asashoryu-like sumo? Even less so, obviously. Is it fun to watch? A-yup.

Still, he hasn't faced any of the big guns yet, so it's quite possible that he'll finish just 11-4 or so.

Funny how people's opinions and perceptions are so different. I used to like Chiyotaikai's sumo, when he used to blast people off the dohyo with his thrusting attack, one-dimensional or not.

Now... nah, not that exciting for me.

i wonder how many other ozki after 44 consecutive basho as ozeki meet your qualifications to stay ozeki of getting 11+ every single basho.

Actually... Exactly no Ozeki have made 11 wins even one basho, much less every, past 44 basho as Ozeki... In other words, Takanohana-1 didn't have any 11-4 basho towards the end of his career... (Chucking salt...) (Applauding...)