Sign in to follow this  
Senpai

Baruto in Makuuchi

What's amazing about Baruto is that this is only his first Makuuchi Basho and he is already making such a wave that Kitanoumi oyakata is saying he holds a key to the yusho race.

When Musoyama trampled through everyone when he came up, he was called the "Monster of Heisei Era". Now they are calling Baruto the "Monster from Estonia".

We already are getting the stuff that legends are made of. When lifted up by Baruto, Hakurozan said Baruto appeared to have super human strength. Jumonji when he got slapped down by Baruto said he had never in his career got slapped by another rikishi from such a high and close position.

It's not the fact that he is winning but how he is beating his opponents - he is totally overwhelming. They are not simply falling down or thrown out but they are flying out of the dohyo, driven out by his power. If he can harness all that power, there is no doubt he will get to ozeki within a year and yokozuna in a couple of years.

And as the basho continues, more Baruto legends will be told and re-told.

I was talking to Bart today to find out his thought about this basho. He said that he feels ok and tries to achieve his best form on second half of the basho. Mother's coming to watch him helped him a little to get over some edginess. He knows that he will propably have to face even more stronger opponents before end of the basho but he will take them one by one like others .. no fear. He is just doing what he can to take most out of it and win as much as he can. As about suggestions about who he will propably face next days then he thinks that doesn't matter as they all are capable to win and are strong opponents and he doesn't prefer anyone. But after Futeno he thinks that kyokai will put Iwakiyama against him and Takamisakari (just for pleasing the crowd) and also Asasekiryu told Bart that they will propably face each other on dohyo.

We already are getting the stuff that legends are made of. When lifted up by Baruto, Hakurozan said Baruto appeared to have super human strength. Jumonji when he got slapped down by Baruto said he had never in his career got slapped by another rikishi from such a high and close position.

It's not the fact that he is winning but how he is beating his opponents - he is totally overwhelming. They are not simply falling down or thrown out but they are flying out of the dohyo, driven out by his power. If he can harness all that power, there is no doubt he will get to ozeki within a year and yokozuna in a couple of years.

Baruto was called the poor man's Akebono earlier in the thread. I wasn't around for Akebono's rise, but thankfully we got that look back to 1992 on NHK a few days ago (many thanks to Dale for capturing those features!), which included a couple of Ake bouts...the sheer overpowering nature of their sumo is definitely something Baruto shares with him.

How high do you banzuke experts think he could possibly rise on the next banzuke? my one miserable failure at GTB rules out me from any coherent guess!

M11 now, what are the possibilities from here? at most, (a big most) what would a 13-2 yusho get him? 12-3 11-4 10-5 9-6?

When Musoyama trampled through everyone when he came up, he was called the "Monster of Heisei Era". Now they are calling Baruto the "Monster from Estonia".

First time ever I understand why the term "Monster" was used. Thanks.

Both seem to be nice guys.

How high do you banzuke experts think he could possibly rise on the next banzuke? my one miserable failure at GTB rules out me from any coherent guess!

M11 now, what are the possibilities from here? at most, (a big most) what would a 13-2 yusho get him? 12-3 11-4 10-5 9-6?

Yusho (at any score) = Komusubi promotion, I think that's pretty safe to say. Anything else I don't really dare to speculate on when there are still six bouts to go...it highly depends on how big the make-koshi in the high Maegashira ranks end up being.

Yusho (at any score) = Komusubi promotion, I think that's pretty safe to say. Anything else I don't really dare to speculate on when there are still six bouts to go...it highly depends on how big the make-koshi in the high Maegashira ranks end up being.

Well, if Natsu Basho was already over after day 9, the Nagoya Basho Banzuke would - perhaps - look like that: (On the banzuke...)

Y E   -  Asashoryu
O1 E  -  Chiyotaikai
O1 W  -  Hakuho
O2 E  -  Kaio
O2 W  -  Kotooshu
O3 W  -  Tochiazuma
S E   -  Miyabiyama
S W   -  Kotomitsuki
K E   -  Asasekiryu
K W   -  Kyokushuzan
M 01 E - Futeno
M 01 W - Hakurozan
M 02 E - Kisenosato
M 02 W - Kakizoe
M 03 E - Kyokutenho
M 03 W - Baruto
M 04 E - Kotoshogiku
M 04 W - Aminishiki
M 05 E - Iwakiyama
M 05 W - Tokitenku
M 06 E - Roho
M 06 W - Wakanosato
M 07 E - Kokkai
M 07 W - Ama
M 08 E - Dejima
M 08 W - Hokutoriki
M 09 E - Homasho
M 09 W - Tamanoshima
M 10 E - Tochinonada
M 10 W - Tamakasuga
M 11 E - Tochinohana
M 11 W - Takamisakari
M 12 E - Tosanoumi
M 12 W - Yoshikaze
M 13 E - 1st Juryo Guy
M 13 W - 2nd Juryo Guy
M 14 E - Toyonoshima
M 14 W - Kitazakura
M 15 E - Kasugao
M 15 W - Takekaze
M 16 E - 3rd Juryo Guy
M 16 W - Buyuzan

But as the last 6 days will very likely not be cancelled ;-) Bart can still end up as Maegashira 12. (Beaten...)

Well, if Natsu Basho was already over after day 9, the Nagoya Basho Banzuke would - perhaps - look like that: (On the banzuke...)

That guess might well fetch more points in the next GTB than some of the regular players manage after all 15 days. (Beaten...)

Guest NPD

How do you write kachi-koshi in japanese? (Help me...) (Nodding yes...) ;-)

NPD

wow again. It seemed like futenho had him right where he wanted, then in a split second, baruto sends him flying as if he was as light as mainomi.

DAY 1  M11w   Baruto (1-0)		yorikiri	   M11e   Homasho (0-1) WIN
DAY 2  M10w   Tochinohana (2-0)   oshidashi	  M11w   Baruto (1-1) LOSS
DAY 3  M11w   Baruto (2-1)		shitatenage	M13w   Hokutoriki (0-3) WIN
DAY 4  M15w   Kitazakura (3-1)	yoritaoshi	 M11w   Baruto (2-2) LOSS
DAY 5  M11w   Baruto (3-2)		oshidashi	  M14e   Katayama (2-3) WIN
DAY 6  M11w   Baruto (4-2)		yorikiri	   M8w	Hakurozan (4-2) WIN
DAY 7  M11w   Baruto (5-2)		hatakikomi	 M16w   Jumonji (4-3) WIN
DAY 8  M11w   Baruto (6-2)		oshitaoshi	 M14w   Yoshikaze (5-3) WIN
DAY 9  M11w   Baruto (7-2)		hikiotoshi	 M8e	Kasugao (2-7) WIN
DAY 10 M11w   Baruto (7-2)		tsukiotoshi	 M7e	Futeno (6-3)  WIN

After day 10 Baruto have achieve his pre-basho primary goal - kashi-kochi and now every win more is a bonus. 7 different technics winning 8 bouts during 10 days .. looks like Bart has amending his fighting arsenal.

Will he make it double-digit win?

Will Tamanoshima be first to stop him after 6 straight wins?

7 different technics and early KK, enough for being sansho candidate?

Will he be able to put fight for yusho?

Edited by Senpai

lets not forget too, that he would be tied for the lead now with one loss, plus added an utchari to his winning techniques, had he kept his heel just 5mm higher than he did agasint kitazakura.

with at least 10 wins as shin-nyumaku he will get a fighting spirit prize. I dont think that just throwing around your opponents like ragdolls counts toward a technique prize. Todays bout looked more like "damn, i dont get the mawashi, ill just throw him down"

Todays bout looked more like "damn, i dont get the mawashi, ill just throw him down"

Well, I'd rather not call today's bout the "sumo at its most elegant" either... ;)

There is a children's playground visible from my kitchen window. Sometimes one 5-year old boy ends the occasional argues with younger ones in the same manner, when he runs out of solid arguments... :)

After day 10 Baruto have achieve his pre-basho primary goal - kashi-kochi and now every win more is a bonus. 7 different technics winning 8 bouts during 10 days .. looks like Bart has amending his fighting arsenal.

Now, let's not exaggerate. (Nodding yes...) Besides the shitatenage, it's been 3 kimarite from the yori/oshi family, and then hatakikomi/tsukiotoshi/hikiotoshi which are all rather similar to each other in execution. Technical wizardry, it's not. But it's encouraging that he's not a one-trick pony, even if it's all rather basic stuff. (Of course, with his power he really doesn't need be tricky in his sumo.)

Todays bout looked more like "damn, i dont get the mawashi, ill just throw him down"

Well, I'd rather not call today's bout the "sumo at its most elegant" either... ;)

There is a children's playground visible from my kitchen window. Sometimes one 5-year old boy ends the occasional argues with younger ones in the same manner, when he runs out of solid arguments... :)

I'd say that today's victory is more a proof of speed than power. Baruto was able to react instantly, reflex-like, when Futeno started to push him without getting the time to size the mawashi. This kind of win is more Asa-like than just enormous power.

Guest Jubin

Seems that Baruto have slight problem with tachiai. All latest bouts are same. The first movment is difficult to his huge body and tachiai will be to high. Maybe he need to reduce his weight?

But for sure he have fast reaction, good foot work, greativ mind to find solutions and of course impressiv power.

All these things together making him non predictable and capable to win.

If there is coming more experience he can win anyone

First time ever I understand why the term "Monster" was used. Thanks.

Both seem to be nice guys.

Monster in this case is just being used to reference his size and power, not his attitude or demeanor.

It was a display of both speed and power by Baruto. Futeno is not a fluke in power branch...but he was just overpowered as the rest. Wow. It seems Baruto came for killing "flies" and not for sumo. :-D

Edited by Coo-cook

How do you write kachi-koshi in japanese? (Bye, bye...) :-D ;-)

NPD

勝ち越し

Guest Jubin
is it just me or did baruto strike a quick pose after winning yesterday?

I have same feeling. Some serious sckreaming. Looks like he doesn't belived what he done!

tomorrow baruto gets iwakiyama. lets see if he has the same problems agasint this big guy like he did with grandpa zakura.