Sign in to follow this  
sumofan

Kill Bill poll

I didn't want to pollute the poll section with this, so I ask it here instead:

KILL BILL

1) love it

2) hate it

3) kill who?

I cannot explain why, but I think it is a great movie. maybe it has something to do with uma thurman in thight clothes, and japanese swords. That and tarantino being a brilliant producer.

There are lots of reasons for me to love Kill Bill.

One of them is that Tarantino singlehandedly re-invogarated the nice habit of whistling.

Can you remember when you've heard people walking on the street, and joyfully whistling a tune?

For me that is something connected to childhood. Happy old people were whistling, the friendly neighbor in countless movies was whistling.

But unfortunately whistling has completely disappeared from the daily soundtrack of the streets.

Enter Tarantino. That mocking whistle-tune is very lovely to listen to. Moreover, I'd say that it is the most recognizable tune in recent movie soundtrack history. Many people know it, even those who've never seen the film.

From the last year or so I recall two incidents where I heard people whistling in the streets. Not old and merry neighbors, but young and hip people. And in both cases they were whistling that remarkable Kill Bill tune. Thanks to Tarantino.

LOVE IT!!!! Oh man Tarantino is a GOD!!! So yeah if you couldn't tell I like his movies. I like his movies enough that I made my persuasive speech in my speech class this last semester over why my teacher should watch Pulp Fiction. Then I also did another speech over Tarantino in the class. I am still waiting for him to release kill bill vol 1 and 2 together how the movie was supposed to be done, but it was over 3 hours, so they cut it into two movies. I keep hearing that he is going to release it, but then it never happens, it makes me mad.

And to Kishinoyama you should go and pick up kill bill vol 1 and 2, they are really good, also anyone else that hasn't seen it go and watch it. Also if you haven't seen Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, or Jackie Brown all by Tarantino, go and watch them, all are amazing!!!

Haven't seen a single Tarantino movie (unless his collaboration scene for Sin City counts), and despite the protestations of my friends, I can't say I feel like I've been missing anything. Sorry, folks.

Of course, that season finale he did for CSI last year is coming up here soon, so I guess I'm about to be exposed to (near-)feature length Tarantino anyway. Eh, I doubt it's going to be any kind of earth-shattering experience.

Have to chime in with Asashosakari there. Tried to watch Pulp Fiction once. Couldn't care less.

None of the three propositions really fit my feeling towards the movie. I would say "loved it" (the past tense matters) because to me it's like a great candy (though I don't really like candies), a movie you consume on the spot and don't need to reflect too much on afterwards. The principle that guides the movie is one of immediate pleasure through a "coolness" that derives from reference to "retro" pop culture, even more so than in Tarantino's previous feature films: abundant citations from some revived genres (kung-fu, samurai, spaghetti westerns, etc.), choice of a main charismatic actor who was a US-icon for these genres (David Carradine: kung-fu and western at once!), abundant use of forgotten but to-be-revived music (including the whistling tune, which was not composed for the movie AFAIK), and the famed Tarantino dialogues - especially in the long final scene... Really cool, but nothing below the surface...

I really enjoyed Kill Bill 1 but found KB2 a little slow and thought it dragged. I should point out that I am not a martial arts movie freak by any stretch of the imagination so it wasn't the lure of the fight scenes that enthralled me in KB1. I just found that the dialogue in KB2 was laboured and the visula effects weren't as interesting as the first part. I liked the anime scene about O-ren's childhood.

I don't think Tarantino is "a God" or amazing or anything else. he is a director with a very distinct style that really sets him apart from others. Now, this can be good in certain situations or movies, but it also has its down side. He tends to be a little predictable from what I've seen of his work.

There are lots of reasons for me to love Kill Bill.

One of them is that Tarantino singlehandedly re-invogarated the nice habit of whistling.

Can you remember when you've heard people walking on the street, and joyfully whistling a tune?

For me that is something connected to childhood. Happy old people were whistling, the friendly neighbor in countless movies was whistling.

But unfortunately whistling has completely disappeared from the daily soundtrack of the streets.

Enter Tarantino. That mocking whistle-tune is very lovely to listen to. Moreover, I'd say that it is the most recognizable tune in recent movie soundtrack history. Many people know it, even those who've never seen the film.

From the last year or so I recall two incidents where I heard people whistling in the streets. Not old and merry neighbors, but young and hip people. And in both cases they were whistling that remarkable Kill Bill tune. Thanks to Tarantino.

I will frequently whistle the tune from the old 'Andy Griffith Show'. Stuck in my head from watching old re-runs millenia ago, I guess. People always turn and stare, especially if it's raining.

My 2 bits.

Pulp fiction was a great movie which influenced American popular culture a great deal.

Reservoir Dogs was a really, really good movie with some excellent bits of dialogue.

Kill Bill - very good due to excellent graphics/film editing. ( jeez, I hope that's right. I'm not an expert on filmaking terminology, and have been recently upbraided for my misuse of sumo terminology.)

Jackie Brown and Kill Bill 2 - pretty good, but a bit let down by both considering the excellence that preceded them.

Can I vote 1.5? They were fun and had good fight scenes and were nice to look at, but they weren't nearly the calibur of Pulp Fiction or Resevoir Dogs. I used to love Tarentino; his movies were so different and edgy. But I was DEEPLY disappointed when I finally saw the Kill Bill movies, maybe because all I heard for years was how AWESOME and AMAZING they were. They're fun to watch, and I thought the ending of volume 2 was kind of interesting. But the Kill Bill movies are basically four hours of cool fight scenes, and Uma looking hot. That's it.

My 2 bits.

Pulp fiction was a great movie which influenced American popular culture a great deal.

Reservoir Dogs was a really, really good movie with some excellent bits of dialogue.

Kill Bill - very good due to excellent graphics/film editing. ( jeez, I hope that's right. I'm not an expert on filmaking terminology, and have been recently upbraided for my misuse of sumo terminology.)

Jackie Brown and Kill Bill 2 - pretty good, but a bit let down by both considering the excellence that preceded them.

What you have to remeber is that they aren't two seperate movies, it was all filmed at the same time. What happened is that it was such a long movie, they thought it should be broken up into two movies. But with how it was broken up worked, but I still wish they would release them together like they said they were going to.

I do agree with you about Jackie Brown, to me it was his weakest film, but I still liked it. And well Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs are both just amazing.