Sign in to follow this  
Kaikitsune Makoto

Akebono - last chance

Akebono sits on chair again in pre-match interview. He is up against some 100kg American in HERO. Transformation from sumo to other martial arts has been painful and difficult but he has still worked hard doing sparring over and over again in the last 2 years. Little by little all that work starts to bear fruit and he is now able to use his 210kg body better in terms of balance and power. "I am going to crush my light weight opponent to death!" he said benevolently. Meanwhile after his pathetic loss to the black tarento guy (Bobby), organizers were very critical of Akebono's lack of energy and fighting spirit and this is his last chance now to show he has more to give. "Ganbarimasu" he says.

I think the bout was today actually...

Japanese former Sumo Wrestling Grand Champion Akebono (203cm/6'8"; 210kg/492lbs) repeatedly tied up American freestyle wrestling legend Don Frye and squished him against the ropes in their bout. The pattern repeated until late in the second when Akebono slipped to the mat and Frye climbed on top to work a choke for the submission.

Japanese former Sumo Wrestling Grand Champion Akebono (203cm/6'8"; 210kg/492lbs) repeatedly tied up American freestyle wrestling legend Don Frye and squished him against the ropes in their bout. The pattern repeated until late in the second when Akebono slipped to the mat and Frye climbed on top to work a choke for the submission.

All that balance training evidently paid off.

Fighting sprit my foot.

To be honest I have never been an Ake fan but to continue training and get his butt whipped in

compation and in sparring AND in front of his family takes courage and strength.

I didn't think he could make it to a 2nd round against Frye but he did and I know Frye felt those punches Chad gave him before the gound fight.

I obiously don't see Akebono as a Ultimate Fighting Champion.

But to me, if he is willing to risk his name, reputaion, and Sumo honor to enter a field where Sumo has proven to be an unsecessful fighting skill in-itself... I'll call him a champion. (Showing respect...)

How many last chances does Make-bono get? He got his lard-ass whooped last night in K-1...

Choi Slams Akebono 3rd Time

By Moon Gwang-lip

Staff Reporter

Korean mixed martial arts fighter Choi Hong-man picked up where he left off, pummeling and then finally scoring a technical knockout over Akebono, the American sumo wrestler-turned-fighter in their third encounter since March last year.

Choi, who stands 2.18 meters tall, 7-foot 1-inch, sent Akebono to the canvas in the second round at K-1 World GP in Sapporo. Choi, 25, has won three showdowns with the 37-year-old ex-sumo champ, all by technical knockouts.

With the victory, Choi improved to 9-1 in the 16 months since his K-1 debut in March 2005. His previous victory came in a bout with the K-1 champion Semmy Schilt of the Netherlands in May. Choi won by a 2-1 decision in Seoul.

The 14-year-old K-1 is dubbed the biggest mixed martial arts tournament in the world.

For the match, Akebono, once weighing more than 220 kilograms, lost by more than 30 kilograms and had his head shaved. He fell to 1-9 at K-1.

In another match, Dutchman Remy Bonjaski defeated “Mighty Mo” Siligia of the United States in a 3-0 decision.

Bonjaski, former K-1 champion, handed Choi his only loss last November, when the Dutch fighter defeated the Korean rookie in the opening match of the Tokyo tournament by a unanimous decision.

Choi earned national fame first in ssirum, or Korean folk wrestling. He became the ssirum champion in 2003.

via The Korea Times

post-334-1154354711_thumb.jpg

Edited by Otokonoyama

I for the life of me cannot figure out why anyone who is 1-9 can continue to get matches.

So who did he defeat? Some 3-foot midget fighter?

I for the life of me cannot figure out why anyone who is 1-9 can continue to get matches.

I guess it's the freak show factor. I have lost all the respect for Akebono that I once had... champion turned punching bag.

No, a washed up nearly 50 ex-wrestler..

(Chucking salt...)

nobuaki_kakuta.jpg

NOBUAKI KAKUDA

Japan / Seido Kaikan / Karate

DATE OF BIRTH : April 11, 1961

HEIGHT : 5 feet 9 inch

WEIGHT : 208 lbs

*TITLES*

'88 & '99 Satojyuku POINT & KO Japan Open Tournament Finalist

The 7th Kyokushin Weight Category Karate Tournament Heavyweight 4th Place

*BOUT RESULTS*

26 Fights 13 Wins 9 Losses 4 Draws 7 KOs

K-1 20 Fights 11 Wins 8 Losses 1 Draws 5 KOs

Edited by Shimpu

Because he's still a big draw. As long as he can draw a crowd, he will continue to get matches.