Sign in to follow this  
Manekineko

Man'in onrei curse

Going through some Japanese texts I saved from Sumo Kyokai's web page ages ago, I found an interesting line about "man'in onrei" (thank you for filling the house) flags. Namely, starting from 11th day of 1989 Kyushu basho and ending with 2nd day of 1998 Natsu basho, these flags were hung for 666 consecutive days!

Now we know what's to blame for falling attendance... ;)

I remember being amused about that number as well. :-P

Speaking of man-in onrei (Beware! 460+ kB page), I've heard they are lowered even if the number of the seats bought exceeds about 85% mark. Then again some of those vacant seats might have been sold but the ticket owners just haven't come to the venue by the time the decision about whether to lower the ribbons or not is to be made.

I believe the custom of oh-iri-bukuro is still alive. Does someone know? (Eh?)

(Grammatical mistakes again corrected, I need to proof-read more.)

starting from 11th day of 1989 Kyushu basho and ending with 2nd day of 1998 Natsu basho, these flags were hung for 666 consecutive days!

Sorry for digging up this old story (seemingly the 9th thread ever started on sumoforum!) but does anyone here know more about this curse of the 666 days? A friend of mine is writing about curses in sports all around the world and I mentioned this story to him, but here the numbers don't add up, based on the dates it should be much more than 666 days. Any help much appreciated!

starting from 11th day of 1989 Kyushu basho and ending with 2nd day of 1998 Natsu basho, these flags were hung for 666 consecutive days!

Sorry for digging up this old story (seemingly the 9th thread ever started on sumoforum!) but does anyone here know more about this curse of the 666 days? A friend of mine is writing about curses in sports all around the world and I mentioned this story to him, but here the numbers don't add up, based on the dates it should be much more than 666 days. Any help much appreciated!

1998 should be 1997.