Sign in to follow this  
ilovesumo

a mongolian told me...

It's just gossip, but a mongolian on my university told me that Kyokushuzan will retire after the Jungyou in Mongolia. He knows it from Kyokushuzan's friend.

I hope it's just gossip :'-(

It's just gossip, but a mongolian on my university told me that Kyokushuzan will retire after the Jungyou in Mongolia. He knows it from Kyokushuzan's friend.

I hope it's just gossip :'-(

so after mongolian jungyou 2009??? :-)

Are you sure you didn't hear this story on April 1? :-)

I hope it's just gossip :-)

It is true. I have read Kyokushuzan's interview. He said, I will retire after jungyou in Mongolia in August 2006.

It is true. I have read Kyokushuzan's interview. He said, I will retire after jungyou in Mongolia in August 2006.

i want to complain mr/ms amgaa99 ...

you say you have read something like this but you didn't think it would interest us enough and decided not to post a topic about that ?

i wonder if banzuke predicting your only interest concerning Sumo....

I will stake my rep.. well, you know..

No way he retires in September 2006.

Mr. Kintamayama :'-( I think there is still a lot to stake.... Every surgeon has own hall of fame ... and own graveyard :-)

Mr. Kintamayama :'-( I think there is still a lot to stake.... Every surgeon has own hall of fame ... and own graveyard :-)

I'm afraid to even ask.

An interview ? Shu talked about the point of his intai? :-)

Since Konishiki we know that such an interview is VERY dangerous.

Just see this as an indicator that the interview might be quite fishy. Hey, maybe they have Aprils Fools Day in Mongolia as well?

YOu would be wrong this time, i'm afraid. :-)

YOu would be wrong this time, i'm afraid. :-)

We shall see.

I can't see Kyokushuzan retiring anytime soon. He will continue to bounce up and down in Makuuchi. I don't think he will retire even if he falls to Juryo. :-)

Just see this as an indicator that the interview might be quite fishy. Hey, maybe they have Aprils Fools Day in Mongolia as well?

Sertainly there is. 3years ago, it was Asashoryu who was hairless in the picture and informed as retiring from sumo because of the lack of YDC's respect for foreign rikishi and so on. Many people believed that. :'-(

I can't see Kyokushuzan retiring anytime soon. He will continue to bounce up and down in Makuuchi. I don't think he will retire even if he falls to Juryo. :-)

Don't you think this guy has more in his mind than more or less good staying in Ozumo? He studies for his own reason, and that reason will be bigger then Ozumo-money making. He's not one of the Rikishi not able to do anything else...

Quote from Kintamayama's post in December 2003:

30 year old Mongolian Kyokushuuzan has been accepted to prestigious Waseda University's new study program via the internet. He will be studying in the Department of Human Sciences, Human information science course.人間科学部人間情報科学科 (better translation??)

He took some entrance exams a few months ago. "I never believed I could make it. Nothing came in the post for quite a while, so I thought I failed the exams. I am thrilled. From now on, I'll be studying hard. All my free time which was devoted to watching TV and playing games will now be devoted to studying. I hope to study at least three hours a day. I'd like to go through the 4 year course and graduate", said he.

The much anticipated letter came in the mail right after morning keiko on the 13th.

The course he will be taking was established this year and is mostly comprised of Internet based lectures. The studies include mass communication and pedagogics.

"Waseda is the most famous Japanese University in Mongolia, so I decided that's where I want to study. Ever since I arrived in Japan 10 years ago, all I did was Sumo and had no urge to study.", he added.

Since September, when he decided on taking this step, he bought himself a laptop and started studying (kanji, English) any time he could, even during Jungyo.

Studies begin next April. First year will be mostly lectures in English and Educational Psychology.

He will be the second active Sekitorii in the history of Sumo (after Showa-era rikishi ex- Sekiwake Kasagiyama who was active between 1935-1945) who will be studying at Waseda University.

Edited by ilovesumo

Don't you think this guy has more in his mind than more or less good staying in Ozumo? He studies for his own reason, and that reason will be bigger then Ozumo-money making. He's not one of the Rikishi not able to do anything else...

I'm sure Shuzan is already making plans for his future after sumo, but in the meantime...well, when I look at Kyokushuzan on the dohyo, it always seems like his attitude is "Best job in the world!" I don't know if he would ride out his career to the very end (bouncing around as a Juryo/Makuuchi elevator guy for some years like another trickster did, Asanowaka), but I do think he won't cut short his Makuuchi time. He still looks good out there, good enough that he should have at least another couple of years in the tank, in my opinion. At any rate, if I'm reading that excerpt right, he won't graduate from Waseda until Spring 2008 anyway, so maybe that's his target date for staying in Ozumo. :'-(

Sure Kyokushuuzan has a mind of his own but don't you think he loves Sumo? Maybe he would retire if he got demoted to Juryo but it is very rare indeed when a Makuuchi rikishi retires without facing a demotion. Are you saying he is going to retire for Business reasons?

I dont know for what reason...I just try to find any to check the gossip out.

I don't wanna looose him. Remember his great bouts just a few weeks ago. I would miss him so much. Without such Characters- and you know there aren't many, Sumo is.........I dunno

I don't want to loose him. Remember his great bouts just a few weeks ago. I would miss him so much. Without such Characters- and you know there aren't many, Sumo is.........I dunno

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to lose him either. I remember when he was first promoted to Makuuchi. I liked his style. Over the years his Sumo has changed for whatever reason. Honestly I hope the gossip you heard is wrong. :-)

Guest Buyouzan
An interview ? Shu talked about the point of his intai? (Neener, neener...)

can somebody please explain what happened with konishiki?

can somebody please explain what happened with konishiki?
IIRC, after losing bout #13 against Kotonowaka in Kyushu'97 to fall to 5-8, he told the press that he would go intai after the basho. Alas, he wasn't even allowed to compete on day 14 after that announcement and Misugisato got a fusensho for Konishiki's very last non-appearance. Sale was pretty upset about this because he really wanted to complete his last basho.

When was this interview suppposed to have taken place?

I read about Kyokushzan in this month (that's April issue) of Ozumo magazine that there was nothing more he wanted to do than carrying the Yusho flag for Hakuho and accompanying him in the parade.

Kyokushuzan said Hakuho was the first rikishi he got to join Ozumo from Mongolia after he became a Makuuchi rikishi and feels a special bonding. He says he tried especially hard this Haru Basho hoping to show a respectable record in case Hakuho got the Yusho so he can proudly carry the flag for Hakuho.

He said he'd continue to work hard so not fall off until Hakuho wins a Yusho.

And to me that does not sound like coming from someone who is quitting soon.

I just can say again how it was. This Mongolian is a student here in Halle, I met him at Stud IP, that's the University-Network. I write a little Sumo stuff there, and he wrote to me. A little chatting, then he said "I am fan since Kyokushuzan started. Do you know that he will retire after the Jungyou in Mongolia this summer?V: What??? No, how do you know that?

M: His friend told me!

So this guy didn't talk about an interview at all.

Then I guess we should be talking to his friend.

According to Moti's post, a Mongolian Koen is not a done deal though in all likelihood it will happen as it's been pushed pretty fiece by politicians.

But unless you are insiders, you wouldn't probably have known that there would be any Jungyo in Mongolia for certain so how could anyone say he would retire after an event that may or may not happen. It's not as if saying after the Natsu or Nagoya that will happen for sure but a Mongolian Koen may not be realized.

Then I guess we should be talking to his friend.

According to Moti's post, a Mongolian Koen is not a done deal though in all likelihood it will happen as it's been pushed pretty fiece by politicians.

But unless you are insiders, you wouldn't probably have known that there would be any Jungyo in Mongolia for certain so how could anyone say he would retire after an event that may or may not happen. It's not as if saying after the Natsu or Nagoya that will happen for sure but a Mongolian Koen may not be realized.

Yes. I wrote him a mail. Wait and see what he answers.

I want a name....