Sign in to follow this  
oyaji

hajimemashite

I can't beleive that I've been lurking since last Sept. and I never introduced myself! Gomen, ne?

Dozo yoroshiku. I'm oyaji, a nick bestowed on me for being the oldest member of a manga scanlation group. 9_9 I'm a 40-year-old English teacher in America. I've studied traditional karate for over 14 years, and it was my Sensei from Miyazaki that introduced me to Ozumo. I used to love the Hanada brothers, and now my current favourite is Chiyotaikai, although he tends to dissappoint me--wish he had more dimensions of attack sometimes. I don't get TV Japan, or even cable or satellite at all, so I follow sumo through the mailing list and the official site results. Now that I've got Broadband, I can finally watch the stream of the upper divisions! I guess that's enough already.

(Neener, neener...) to the forum! Don't worry about being a lurker. I sometimes don't make any posts for months. You have my utmost (Whatever above, it is funny...) for being an English teacher. (Sigh...)

Edited by Kishinoyama

Welcome to SF...I hope you enjoy your stay here...

Welcome! Lurk all you want, and feel free to post too. (Neener, neener...)

I don't get TV Japan, or even cable or satellite at all, so I follow sumo through the mailing list and the official site results. Now that I've got Broadband, I can finally watch the stream of the upper divisions! I guess that's enough already.

Welcome aboard Oyaji (A yokozuna...)

Feel free to chuck in your salt (Neener, neener...) and join the fray.

I haven't seen any sumo on tv for years but like you I keep up with all the results and watch the videos on Banzuke.com+Info sumo forum.

Can I reccomend the sumo games to you? They do a lot to keep my interest going and give me a vested interest in the outcome of the bouts aswell.

Edit- What does Hajimemashite mean?

Edited by Fujisan

Edit- What does Hajimemashite mean?

It is the equivalent of "How do you do?" or "Pleased to meet you"

Welcome to the forum. (Neener, neener...)

But you are an English teacher (Sign of disapproval) ...joking

(A yokozuna...) (Laughing...) (Welcome...)

I would push more for the 'pleased to meet you' option and say 'How do you do" was more aligned with 'Yoroshiku onegaishimasu' but it all french to me most of the time!

Welcome Gramps (I guess the translation for 'oyaji') :-(

You're not alone in feeling disappointed with Chiyotaikai. His oyakata also regularly expresses the same sentiment.

PS to Fujisan

I think a literal translation of 'Hajimemashite' is something like 'This is the first time [of meeting]', and follows other Japanese expressions that state the bleeding obvious...

eg... Konichiwa = Hello / Good Day lit = It is this day (I think)

In Summer, the traditional greeting amongst colleagues, friends etc changes to: 'Atsui desu ne' (It is hot), to which one responds either 'So desu ne' (Yes it is), or 'Atsui desu yo!' (It is really hot).

In Winter, replace samui (cold) with the atsui, and all else remains the same.

Edited by Jejima

In Summer, the traditional greeting amongst colleagues, friends etc changes to: 'Atsui desu ne' (It is hot), to which one responds either 'So desu ne' (Yes it is), or 'Atsui desu yo!' (It is really hot).

So VERY different than the English "weather" niceties, huh...:-(

PS to Fujisan

I think a literal translation of 'Hajimemashite' is something like 'This is the first time [of meeting]', and follows other Japanese expressions that state the bleeding obvious...

eg... Konichiwa = Hello / Good Day lit = It is this day (I think)

A simple one word answer will do Jezz :-( (Whistling...)

Seriously though thanks for the explanations everyone. B-)

Edited by Fujisan

So VERY different than the English "weather" niceties, huh...:-(

I can see what you're getting at, but I would say there is a difference. The English obsession with the weather is more for 'small talk' or 'conversation filler.' It is also there because the English weather is variable, and so it changes from day to day. If I were to to go to work in the UK, I would probably say 'Hi' or 'Good morning' to my colleagues as I arrived. I probably wouldn't mention the weather at that stage B-)

However, it seemed to me that when I was working in Japan, I would go to work and in the summer, the greetings really would include 'It is hot.'

eg:

Colleague: Ohayo ('Good morning', or (I think) lit: It is early.)

Me: Ohayo.

C: Atsui desu ne.

Me: Atsui desu yo.

This would be the same every day, until autumn briefly arrives, which after a short break would change to 'samui desu ne' as winter started to approach.

However, it seemed to me that when I was working in Japan, I would go to work and in the summer, the greetings really would include 'It is hot.'
Perhaps You could have easily broken that habit if You hadn't been wearing a grotesque turtleneck jumper day in day out. :-(

Welcome to the SF, oyaji! :-P

40 years old, huh? It's nice to have someone else of advanced (Applauding...) , um, wisdom in the Forum. We wise people have to stick together. (Applauding...)

Fujisan (or anyone interested in picking up some basic Japanese language skills),

try JapanesePod101.com. They have a ~10 min daily podcast with language lessons. Their presentation makes it easy to pick up the basics (it's a fun podcast, too). (Sign of approval)

Edited by Takanorappa

A warm welcome to the Forum also from me, another "wise" member :-P

And thank you Takanorappa for the great link, this will help me to understand at least some words (Applauding...)