Sign in to follow this  
TheShadow

Baruto article from Sankei Shinbun today

Oozumo Spring Tournament - 43 Years Since A Champion Wins Juryou Division Undefeated

Baruto Kaito

Born: November 5th, 1984

Birthplace: Estonia

Date of Arrival in Japan: February 2004

Stable: Mihogaseki Beya

First Appearance: Summer Tournament 2004

Height: 197cm

Weight:164 kg

Asashoryu, Kotooshu, Hakuho... Foreigners are making a name for themselves in sumo history and like the Black Ships* their invasion is not ceasing. Without his Ginko leaf hair tied, Baruto wins the Juryou Division undefeated and when asked how he felt? He answered "I still don't know."

He is from one of the three Baltic States, Estonia. He enjoyed playing basketball and judo at home. He began practicing sumo at 16 years old. He reaches over his opponents shoulders and grasps their mawashi like a hawk. His upper arms bear the fruit of his powerful biceps and he throws his opponents with all his strength. His wild wrestling tactics hides his common sense sumo tactics. He is a great talent who is praised by his stable masters as being a "future yokozuna". He is competent in Japanese, English, Russian and German. When he has time off, he likes to get a taste of Japan by "going to the onsen in Odaiba". While showered with questions by the press, he is a likeable person with a smile that can't be wiped out but a dark shadow hangs behind him. When he was young, his parents divorced. He was raised by his mother and to save money for his family, he dropped out of university after one month. He managed by working as a nightclub bouncer. As a consequence, he has a deep attachement to his mother. When asked what he would do with his Juryo winnings? "It is going to my mother, of course." he answered. He missed last year's Kyushu basho because of appendicitis but next basho it is certain he will be promoted to the Makuuchi division. "I'm only being careful about injury. My appendix is gone so..." Along with being skilled in sevral martial arts, he is also a good orator. Even without meeting him, he is quite a great person.

Morita Kagefumi

Sankei Shinbun March 28, 2006

*the Black Ships were the nickname the Japanese gave to the American ships who came and demanded that Japan open their borders to other nations. At the time, Japan had its borders closed to most other nations.

Nice article, but why are You double-posting? (Dribbling...)

Double post deleted. Shadow, your translation is greatly appreciated, so please don't take this the wrong way!

"I'm only being careful about injury. My appendix is gone so..."

Morita Kagefumi

Sankei Shinbun March 28, 2006

Well, he might have been "being careful" but he still won ever single match. I only watched four of his matches but he did not seem to be holding back. (Clapping wildly...) And thank you for the translation Shadow!

Edited by Kishinoyama Whitney

Oozumo Spring Tournament - 43 Years Since A Champion Wins Juryou Division Undefeated

A good work, The Shadow.

More and more we know about Baruto, here's someone we could really learn to like with such a nice friendly and caring personality. He really does sound like an old fashioned sumotori.

And it's really great to see more people translating and posting articles here. Moti has been incredible for so many years and he certainly hasn't slowed down like some ozeki we know of and Mado san keeps putting out first rate works as well, we are being more informed than ever.

Kaikitsune has beem missing from action lately but when he is on, he has no equal and we now have ilovesumo trying out a few. I am hoping more people try out and show us their work. If you are not entirely comfortable yet, try posting something simple in Japan sub-forum. I am looking forward to more contribution from everyone.

Again, thanks, The Shadow and welcome abroad.

Wow! The more I read about this kid, the more impressed I am!

4 languages!

At 197 cm and 164 kg he is very large even by sumo standards. Kotooshu is a bit taller, and Kaio and Miyabiyama are heavier, but still, for a 21-year-old, that's big!

His mother must be very happy.