Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

August-Mongolian Jungyo

Mongolian Jungyo is alive and well. New timeline : Last third of August 2008. The plan is for a 5 day trip. The Mongolian Ministry of Education, Sports etc.. will be sponsoring it. No further details.

Will Asashoryu be allowed to go there and take part in it ?

Why shouldn't he be allowed to go there? It is part of his duties as Yokozuna to attend at a Jungyo.

I am sorry, I was just trying to be funny. Failed ! Sorry again !

"It's a good time for this, now that we have two Mongolian Yokozuna. The situation has now arisen where we can hold the jungyo", said Ooshima Oyakata. The plan is to hold a two day tournament at the "Mongolian Sumo Hall" which can hold 3000 spectators in Ulan Bator. "Nothing would make me happier than doing the dohyo-iri in my homeland", said Asashouryuu. "All the citizens will be thrilled!" added Hakuhou.

Mongolian Sumo Hall:

s-sp-071222-5-ns.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

The Kyokai muckety-mucks met on the matter of the Mongolia Jungyo and decided that all 34 Mongolian rikishi (as of Hatsu Basho) will participate in the "Homecoming Tour." Normally, a jungyo or koen will include only the makuuchi rikishi and their tsukebito.

Said the magnanimous Kitanoumi Rijicho, "Life is not a bowl of cherries for the makushita and below rikishi [who earn no salary]. I am sure they will be pleased."

The jungyo is scheduled for two days during the second half of August.

August 27-28th are the dates. Asashouryuu says he can't wait. The delegation will be leaving on August 25th.

Mongolian rikishi at the press conference:

20080209-00000927-san-spo-thum-000.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

great couple of days for all Mongolian Sumo fans.

34 (!!!!) rikishi back to their homeland .... i wish i could be there to watch this.

Ticket prices will be decided in the middle of April. The President has asked they will be between 2000-10000 yen.

Ticket prices will be decided in the middle of April. The President has asked they will be between 2000-10000 yen.

According to an article in Sankei Sports, the venue has only 3,000 seats. The prices of tickets have yet to be determined but they could range from the equivalent of 10,000 yen to 100,000 yen. These prices are beyond what an average fan in Ulaanbaatar can afford. The possibility of selling standing room tickets is being considered as well as tickets for keiko on the mornings of tournament days and on "open dates" so as many people as possible can watch the rikishi perform live.

Although all 34 Mongolian rikishi will be included in this trip, only the makuuchi rikishi will participate in the two-day tournament. The juryo-and-below guys will perform on the dohyo in one form or another, perhaps, in a mae-zumo-like format.

good day all,

another possibility might be the newly renovated circus center (asoshoryu himself helped finance the renovation). does anyone know the capacity?

the wrestling palace is a good venue, but old and in bad repair. it also might be too small for the demand. in which case, they may move it outside to the nadaam stadium... oh man that would rock.

JSA must understand they will not make money on this trip, but the knowledge of the crowd and love of the sport from the crowds will far exceed that of many jungyos in japan.

би их явмаар байна.

-shimodahito

The circus doesn't look much bigger than the mongolian wrestling hall. It was on repair when I went last summer so I couldn't get inside and check the capacity. (The circus is owned by Asa Group, by the way). The Naadam Stadium is an option, but it is so hudge. Spectators are so far from the arena. I went to see Naadam, but I was disappointed to see the wrestlers from so far away. Even with the zoom they looked small to me. And at the end of August it might rain...

Anyway...би бас маш их явмаар байна (Showing respect...)

To me The Naadam Stadium is good option. Then 30000 fans can come and watch sumo alive. (gadnaas zarim tom duuchid ireheer hiideg shig taiz zaschihna biz. Zarimiig ni suulgaad, ihenhi ni bosoogooroo uzchihehed bolno shd. Tasalbariinh ni uniig tengert hadchihgui bol 30000hun olhon tsuglarah baih. Bi ch gesen yavmaar l baina. (Eh?) )

Well....I guess I must still improve my mongolian. I will do that next summer in Ulaanbaatar just before the jungyooooooo! (Sad goodbyes...) ;-) :-S (Singing drunk...)

Final itinerary:

August 25th - Leave Japan

August 26th - meet the Mongolian President

August 27th-28th - tournament

August 29th - Fan interaction event (for the fans who couldn't make it to the tournament)

August 30th - Return to Japan

I will be there (Third prize...) (Kensho parade...) (Second prize...) ;-) (Cheers...) (First prize...)

Maybe some pictures here after jungyooooooo! (Eating...)

Final itinerary:

August 25th - Leave Japan

August 26th - meet the Mongolian President

August 27th-28th - tournament

August 29th - Fan interaction event (for the fans who couldn't make it to the tournament)

August 30th - Return to Japan

the 27th is Wednesday. the 29th is Friday. icon5.gif bullocks. Gotta make some early 'plans' to make sure I attend at least one of the event, given my hectic work schedule.

Kitanoumi Rijicho regarding the planned Mongolian Jungyo, after hearing of the civil unrest in Mongolia: "We'll have to see how things pan out. We are in close contact with the sponsors over there and will be discussing the situation with them".

Ooshima Oyakata: "It is a worrisome situation and there is nothing we can do about it, but there's still a lot of time till the planned jungyo, and I hope everything will be resolved by then".

Does any Mongolian sumo fan know if the tickets are already on sale and in that case where to get them ?

Thanks in advance :-)

Does any Mongolian sumo fan know if the tickets are already on sale and in that case where to get them ?

Thanks in advance (Yusho winner...)

This is the website of the Mongolian Jungyo: http://www.mongolbasho.mn/ unfortunately only in Mongolian language. Maybe a good opportunity to proof your Mongolian (Sign of approval...)

I was told in Japan they started to sell the tickets.

The website says the tickets are available at the box office of the ASA circus but not if they started to sell...

Thanks in advance (Neener, neener...)

http://www.mongolbasho.mn/#

It did not say anything about ticket sale.

It says only ticket will be sold at the Circus Ticket Counter ( I hope not, If they sale ticket through that counter there will be minor "war")

For information call the numbers.

Тасалбарыг АСА цирк-ийн

кассаар борлуулна

Лавлах утас :

98112822, 99051931

Thanks in advance (Neener, neener...)

http://www.mongolbasho.mn/#

It did not say anything about ticket sale.

It says only ticket will be sold at the Circus Ticket Counter ( I hope not, If they sale ticket through that counter there will be minor "war")

For information call the numbers.

Тасалбарыг АСА цирк-ийн

кассаар борлуулна

Лавлах утас :

98112822, 99051931

Thanks a lot. I will ask some Mongolian friend to call and go get the tickets for me. I hope there are still some good seats...