Sign in to follow this  
Doitsuyama

Day 11 results and day 12 pairings

Hakuho beat yokozuna Asashoryu with an uwatedashinage to practically securing the ozeki promotion with a win against the undefeated yokozuna, just like Kotooshu two basho ago. Kotooshu though already had two losses, so Asashoryu still stayed the yusho arasoi leader, but this basho Hakuho is the sole leader now at 11-0 with Asashoryu one behin.

Wakanosato is following alone at 9-2 as Tochiazuma lost to Kaio and Takekaze to Tochinonada to fall to 8-3. Also at 8-3 with wins today are Kotooshu, Chiyotaikai (getting rid of the kadoban tag with a win against Dejima just in time as the next opponents will be difficult), Kisenosato and Kyokushuzan.

Miyabiyama won against fellow komusubi Roho and at 7-4 his place as sekiwake (replacing Hakuho) is likely. Two new komusubi will be needed and the joi-jin Ajigawa-beya duo of Ama and Aminishiki missed a chance to get nearer to kachi-koshi with losses. Futeno and Kokkai are completely out of it as they went make-koshi. As the joi-jin don't look good, with some luck a rikishi outside of the joi-jin can get the nod, like Kyokutenho (beating Kotomitsuki today and 7-4), Kakizoe or even Kisenosato.

Ushiomaru is the first demotion from makuuchi with his loss today, but several more rikishi need more wins like Otsukasa, Toyozakura, Kasuganishiki and Jumonji who got his first win of the basho against Ushiomaru.

Baruto is getting closer to the juyro yusho as he beat Shimotori to stay undefeated at 11-0 while Kyokunankai lost to Tosanoumi and now is two wins behind at 9-2. Tosanoumi secured the repromotion to makuuchi and gets a chance tomorrow to take Baruto down. Of the other five rikishi at 7-4 only Homasho could win to secure the kachi-koshi.

Takanotsuru lost again and is the first rikishi to be sure to get demoted to makushita. Some more rikishi aren't looking good with Daishodai at 0-11 and Toki at 2-9. The rest is fighting very well to stay as the bottom six rikishi all have a positive score and even Kakuryu won the last two bouts to improve to 5-6.

--

Doitsuyama

Day 11

Juryo

J12w   Senshuyama (6-5)	yoritaoshi	 J13e   Kobo (7-4)
J11w   Kakuryu (5-6)	   hatakikomi	 J12e   Hokutoiwa (7-4)
J13w   Sumanofuji (6-5)	oshidashi	  J10e   Toki (2-9)
J11e   Baruto (11-0)	   yorikiri	   J9w	Shimotori (7-4)
J9e	Harunoyama (4-7)	yorikiri	   J10w   Takanotsuru (1-10)
J14e   Hochiyama (6-5)	 oshitaoshi	 J8w	Satoyama (5-6)
J5e	Homasho (8-3)	   yorikiri	   J14w   Tamarikido (7-4)
J4w	Tochisakae (3-8)	oshidashi	  J7e	Daishodai (0-11)
J4e	Asofuji (6-5)	   oshidashi	  J5w	Shunketsu (3-8)
J3w	Mokonami (7-4)	  hatakikomi	 J8e	Kaiho (5-6)
J2w	Daimanazuru (6-5)   yoritaoshi	 J3e	Dairaido (4-7)
J2e	Katayama (7-4)	  oshidashi	  J7w	Takanowaka (6-5)
J1w	Tosanoumi (8-3)	 oshidashi	  J6w	Kyokunankai (9-2)
J1e	Ryuho (5-6)		 uwatenage	  J6e	Wakatoba (3-8)

Makuuchi

M15w   Otsukasa (4-7)	  hikiotoshi	 M14e   Toyozakura (3-8)
M15e   Tamakasuga (7-4)	oshitaoshi	 M13w   Kasuganishiki (2-9)
M12e   Hakurozan (7-4)	 uwatenage	  M14w   Kitazakura (6-5)
M11e   Wakanosato (9-2)	yorikiri	   M16w   Yoshikaze (6-5)
M10w   Toyonoshima (4-7)   oshidashi	  M17e   Buyuzan (6-5)
M12w   Tochinonada (7-4)   tsukiotoshi	M9w	Takekaze (8-3)
M9e	Jumonji (1-10)	  yorikiri	   M16e   Ushiomaru (2-9)
M13e   Kyokushuzan (8-3)   yorikiri	   M8w	Asasekiryu (6-5)
M7e	Kisenosato (8-3)	yoritaoshi	 M11w   Takamisakari (6-5)
M10e   Tochinohana (5-6)   okuridashi	 M5w	Tokitsuumi (1-10)
M8e	Kotoshogiku (6-5)   makiotoshi	 M4e	Futeno (3-8)

M3w	Iwakiyama (3-8)	 yorikiri	   M7w	Kasugao (4-7)
M6e	Kakizoe (7-4)	   hatakikomi	 M3e	Aminishiki (6-5)
M6w	Tokitenku (6-5)	 hikiotoshi	 M2e	Ama (4-7)
M1e	Tamanoshima (4-7)   sukuinage	  M1w	Kokkai (3-8)
K1w	Miyabiyama (7-4)	okuridashi	 K1e	Roho (2-9)
M5e	Kyokutenho (7-4)	yorikiri	   S1w	Kotomitsuki (7-4)
O1w	Kotooshu (8-3)	  yorikiri	   M2w	Hokutoriki (1-10)
O2w	Kaio (5-6)		  yorikiri	   O1e	Tochiazuma (8-3)
O2e	Chiyotaikai (8-3)   oshidashi	  M4w	Dejima (5-6)
S1e	Hakuho (11-0)	   uwatedashinage Y1e	Asashoryu (10-1)

Day 12

Juryo

J14e   Hochiyama (6-5)					J9w	Shimotori (7-4)
J8e	Kaiho (5-6)						J13e   Kobo (7-4)
J7e	Daishodai (0-11)				   J10e   Toki (2-9)
J14w   Tamarikido (7-4)				   J7w	Takanowaka (6-5)
J6e	Wakatoba (3-8)					 J12w   Senshuyama (6-5)
J13w   Sumanofuji (6-5)				   J5w	Shunketsu (3-8)
J4e	Asofuji (6-5)					  J12e   Hokutoiwa (7-4)
J10w   Takanotsuru (1-10)				 J4w	Tochisakae (3-8)
J3e	Dairaido (4-7)					 J9e	Harunoyama (4-7)
J5e	Homasho (8-3)					  J3w	Mokonami (7-4)
J2e	Katayama (7-4)					 J6w	Kyokunankai (9-2)
J11w   Kakuryu (5-6)					  J2w	Daimanazuru (6-5)
J1e	Ryuho (5-6)						J8w	Satoyama (5-6)
J11e   Baruto (11-0)					  J1w	Tosanoumi (8-3)

Makuuchi

M13e   Kyokushuzan (8-3)				  M15e   Tamakasuga (7-4)
M15w   Otsukasa (4-7)					 M12w   Tochinonada (7-4)
M10e   Tochinohana (5-6)				  M17e   Buyuzan (6-5)
M16e   Ushiomaru (2-9)					M10w   Toyonoshima (4-7)
M9e	Jumonji (1-10)					 M12e   Hakurozan (7-4)
M11e   Wakanosato (9-2)				   M9w	Takekaze (8-3)
M8e	Kotoshogiku (6-5)				  M14e   Toyozakura (3-8)
M16w   Yoshikaze (6-5)					M8w	Asasekiryu (6-5)
M13w   Kasuganishiki (2-9)				M7w	Kasugao (4-7)
M6e	Kakizoe (7-4)					  M14w   Kitazakura (6-5)
M11w   Takamisakari (6-5)				 M6w	Tokitenku (6-5)

M5e	Kyokutenho (7-4)				   M7e	Kisenosato (8-3)
M5w	Tokitsuumi (1-10)				  M3w	Iwakiyama (3-8)
M2e	Ama (4-7)						  M4w	Dejima (5-6)
M4e	Futeno (3-8)					   M2w	Hokutoriki (1-10)
K1e	Roho (2-9)						 M1w	Kokkai (3-8)
M1e	Tamanoshima (4-7)				  K1w	Miyabiyama (7-4)
O2e	Chiyotaikai (8-3)				  S1w	Kotomitsuki (7-4)
M3e	Aminishiki (6-5)				   O1w	Kotooshu (8-3)
O1e	Tochiazuma (8-3)				   S1e	Hakuho (11-0)
Y1e	Asashoryu (10-1)				   O2w	Kaio (5-6)

and even Kakuryu won the last two bouts to improve to 5-6.

that brightens up my day a little ... (Hugging...)

Hey, no kadoban Ozeki next time. (Hugging...) (Clapping wildly...) (Clapping wildly...) (Doing a wave...) (Band playing...) (Sign of approval) (Sign of approval) (Sign of approval)

Funniest thing of the day was definitely Dejima's feeble and painfully slow attempt to henka Chiyotaikai - who then proceeded to beat him comprehensively and give him a rather more than an extra shove into the front row, followed by a very significant looks and muttering to himself. Dejima should be ashamed and got what he deserved... I mean it's not as if he lacks the bulk to withstand a proper tachi-ai...

Best bout (apart from Asa-Hakuho) was Kyokushuzan (again) - another brilliant display of comeback sumo and kachikoshi too... ensuring several more up and down basho for the record-breaking rikishi...

Edited by Flying_Monkey

Guest Monde_de_fou

great performance from Hakuko! (Hugging...) He used his power to just block Asa and then played with his balance (once again). His additional bulk really helps him now to use his balance as a weapon by being in a control position. I'm looking forward to see how he will perform when Asa will be able to grip his mawashi and to be closer to Hakuko, his technic then could pay (as his power)

Hakuko deserves the Ozeki promotion and even shows great skills set to reach the last step. Would he be the youngest basho winner? (sorry I'm not familiar with Sumo history)

Hokutoriki is nowhere closed to be a sumo fighter during this basho, someone knows what happened?

Ama shows a terrific tai chai, I'm looking forward to see him with a little bit more weight in order to really step up. (sorry for questionning, but someone does know if he has gained weight?)

Kaio deserves definitly respect, he shows a great power. I just don't understand Tochi, why didn't he use his speed, battle only with his power is risky with Kaio... even not at 100%

Kotooshu shows that he is able to have a good record despite injuries, showing that he deserves his ozeki promotion. I'm looking forward to see him in full strenght to compete with the two Yokozuna (hoops I've made a mistake I think... (Clapping wildly...) )

Do you know if winning juryo yusho is enough to access to the top division while being ranked that low for Baruto? I would like to see his power in front of stronger opponents to really judge his abilities?

Hakuko deserves the Ozeki promotion and even shows great skills set to reach the last step. Would he be the youngest basho winner? (sorry I'm not familiar with Sumo history)

No, Takanohana was 19 years and 5 month old when he won his first basho. Hakuho is older.

No, Takanohana was 19 years and 5 month old when he won his first basho. Hakuho is older.

Is this Takanohana oyakata or his father? I'm assuming the former, but just to be sure...

Is this Takanohana oyakata or his father? I'm assuming the former, but just to be sure...

Of course Takanohana the son. Well, Takanohana the father was prodigious as well as he won the juryo yusho with 18 years and seven months, but it lasted a while until his first makuuchi yusho as he was 25 years and one month by then.

Best bout (apart from Asa-Hakuho) was Kyokushuzan (again) - another brilliant display of comeback sumo and kachikoshi too...
I agree. It might not have been of any importance yusho-wise, but it was certainly the most entertaining bout to watch today. (although the yawning Takanohana to the right seems to differ)

To hijack this thread for Day 13 purposes for a moment...interestingly, it looks like the #5 to #7 ranked guys will have their own mini-tourney on the final three days, not just the top 4 guys:

Day 13: Hakuho - Kotomitsuki

Day 14: Kotomitsuki - Kaio

Day 15: Hakuho - Kaio