Sign in to follow this  
John Gunning

Edit

I admit to being an ugly American about the WBC - haven't watched much except for the 7th inning of the game currently underway between Japan and Korea...but the alternative to the present setup would be either a bracketed 'one and done' system which would guarantee no team would have to play a team they've already beaten; or a 'best two of three' bracketed system with the same guarantee, which would result in way too many games played at a time when the MLB season was just getting underway. If the same system had treated the USA or Cuba or any other team the same way it did Korea this time, the howls would have been just as loud from their fans. Sometimes the cookie happens to crumble just before you get to eat it...and that's just the way the cookie crumbles. (Laughing...)

this is the biggest thing that has hurt the WBC, in my opinion, along with the miscalls made in the game against mexico, etc.

i find it very difficult to believe that the organizers did not have enough foresight to get international umpires, and rely solely on americans. i'm sure it would have even been cheaper to get umpires form other, poorer countries, which also know baseball, such as the dominican republic, etc.

the organization of this tournament, along with the absolute incompetency of this umpire, bob davidson, have really made it seem that there was some amount of a conspiracy to make america win this tournament.

they've been eliminated now, and i sincerely hope that people will still tune in to espn for the game, so that organizers don't decide they need to put in an even bigger fix (a la little league world series) to make sure america is in the final in 2009

at the very least why didn't they make the semi finals the winners of group A against the second place in group B? that is common in many sports.

I was wondering about that, too...usually you want the potential repeat of a pool game to come as late as possible, not right in the first knock-out round, in order to make it most meaningful. I guess they were going for an AL/NL kind of feeling where the teams from the two initial sections (pools A/B and C/D) cannot meet until the very end.

Next time they stage this thing, I hope they'll just scrap the double-pool format altogether and go with 2 pools of eight. (Some people I've read have suggested a double-elimination format as an alternative...I'm wholly unfamiliar with how that looks in practice, but it sounds interesting enough.)

But that's really my only complaint about the WBC (well, maybe the tiebreakers too, but their confusing nature is at least partially tied to the 4-teams-per-pool format...okay, and the umpiring was pretty bad, which surprised me)...the games themselves have been very enjoyable to watch.

they've been eliminated now, and i sincerely hope that people will still tune in to espn for the game, so that organizers don't decide they need to put in an even bigger fix (a la little league world series) to make sure america is in the final in 2009

I think the organizers (on the MLB side of things) aren't too distressed that the U.S. didn't advance all the way...for one, this whole thing is staged more for the benefit of the other 15 countries anyway, and for another, with all the players who declined to play for the U.S. team, it's probably both a wake-up call and an incentive for them to take part next time.

Edited by Asashosakari

I can't think of any reason why the MLB organizers would have been happy with the USA laying waste to the rest of the field. That would have killed the WBC faster than anything else.

i find it very difficult to believe that the organizers did not have enough foresight to get international umpires, and rely solely on americans.

the organization of this tournament, along with the absolute incompetency of this umpire, bob davidson

It shouldn't be that hard to believe when you realize that this whole tournament was organized by an incompetent jackass by the name of Bud Selig. Incompetency and lack of foresight go hand-in-hand with this idiot. (Enjoying a beer...)

The WBC is a good idea in theory, but the organization of it and the overall execution has left a lot to be desired.

It should also be pointed out that none of these umpires are professional. None are employed by MLB. So we're basically dealing with a bunch of minor league and bush league umps.

Everyone seems to agree that the number one problem that needs fixing before the next WBC rolls around in 2009 is the umpiring. Hopefully they will get a good mix of MLB and professional umpires from foreign countries instead of these amatuers. And hopefully they will be smart enough to look at restructuring the format of the tournament as well. I, like Asashosakari, think the same two pool format used for the olympic hockey tournament would be much better suited for the WBC.

I agree umpiring has been atrocious (aside from obvious blunders, strikes and balls were called never consistently).

I also feel for Koreans and Dominicans as they justfiably feel they should be in there rather than Japan and Cuba. The tournament format needs fixing but my gawd they have to change the venue from Petco as that place is only good for watching low scoring games. Now I am not suggesting they go to Colorado or Arizona but a more reasonable venue could be found (like Rogers Centre (Enjoying a beer...) There were enough balls hit that could have gone out in most major league parks but just ended up as a long fly ball.

I have been following Ichiro since he came to MLB and he has been always calm collected ice prince but in this series I've seen a different Ichiro - full of emotions as one point during the game Japan lost to Korea, he looked so enraged and agitated that I thought I was looking at someone else.

Of course he could have been more diplomatic with his comment as even though he did not meanit dierectly against Korean team, his comment was taken "personally" by Team Korea and Korean fans as he was booed loudly by them.

Congratulations to Japan on the victory. Whatever happened the rest of the tournament, they played really well in the final, and deserved to win. It was an interesting tournament, and I'm sure the organizers will change the format and umpire-selection system. (I couldn't believe that Davidson was in the final, too!)

It's a great idea, and hopefully the popularity of it this time will encourage all the major leaguers to join in next time around, and the MLB to agree to shut down in mid season, or some other time so the players can be in better form.

I'm really (Gyoji...) to see the Japanese come away with the title. I'm sure the Koreans feel cheated by the system, but its hard for me to feel sorry for them considering what happened in the 1988 Seoul Olympics *cough Roy Jones Jr.* and 2002 Soccer World Cup *cough Italy Spain Portugal*.

Gee, get over the World Cup already. I was at both games and I can tell you if Italy and Spain were so much better than Korea, why did they have to rely on one call to win?

The Koreans were the best team in the WBC, but I guess that's the way semi finals go. It seems harsh, but if Korea had been in Japan's position and won it, then I would have accepted it happily.

Korea the best team in the WBC?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/worldclassic...tory?id=2373509

Korea had a +/- of 12

meaning Korea scored 12 more runs than they allowed.

Japan's +/- was 39

more than 3 times Korea

In the 3 games between Japan and Korea Korea won twice by 1 run each, while Japan won its game by 6.

Japan besting Korea 9 runs to 5 in the total of the three games.

What's that tell us?

Korea was lucky to beat Japan in the first two games, the Japanese really are stronger, and it showed when things really mattered. Next time Korea faces Japan, they'd better pray (or pay like in 2002) if they want to stand a chance.

Edited by Jesinofuji