Sign in to follow this  
Guest Monde_de_fou

Day 4: Hakuko Progress

Guest Monde_de_fou

Hi, First post in this forum but I've been watching your posts for a while now. Just want to congratulate the high quality of that forum prior to start.

I was amazed by the tremendous progress of Hakuko since the start of that basho. First he clearly improve his focus & calm. He has avoid losing easy bouts which place him one or two victories behind leaders before challenging them. But furthermore he shows strenghts in his match up against Miyabiyama. He used to count a lot of his balance & technic to win bouts but now he showed that he can really step up. He reminds me the transition of Asashoryu, with more Ozumo technic (please correct me, I'm struggling with japanese terms), going forward and pushing his opponents out of the dohyo with authority. (Punk rocker...)

I'm really looking forward to see the end of that basho, with tremendous match up like against Tochiazuma and Asa.

He used to count a lot of his balance & technic to win bouts but now he showed that he can really step up. He reminds me the transition of Asashoryu, with more Ozumo technic (please correct me, I'm struggling with japanese terms), going forward and pushing his opponents out of the dohyo with authority. (Punk rocker...)

I've been thinking the same thing. Asashoryu went through a similar "growing phase", where he moved away from his blitzkrieg tsuppari, and moved to a more technically sound form of sumo. He stalled for about a year at K/S, as seen below. Hakuho had an injury in the same time, so he's doing pretty well. I still say it's going to take 12 wins this basho for Hakuho to become Ozeki.

Asashoryu

2001.05(age 20 yrs 8 months) Kw 8-7 Shukun-sho (1st)

2001.07 Ke 7-8

2001.09 M1w 10-5 Kanto-sho (1st)

2001.11 Ke 10-5 Kanto-sho (2nd)

2002.01 Sw 8-7

2002.03 Sw 11-4 Shukun-sho (2nd)

2002.05 Se 11-4J Kanto-sho (3rd)

2002.07 Se 12-3J Shukun-sho (3rd)

2002.09(age 21 years 11 months) O3e 10-5

Hakuho

2005.01(age 19 years 10 months) Kw 11-4J Gino-sho (1st)

2005.03 Sw 8-7

2005.05 Se 9-6

2005.07 Se 6-3-6

2005.09 M1w 9-6

2005.11 Kw 9-6

2006.01 Sw 13-2J Shukun-sho (2nd)

Guest Monde_de_fou

hope he will do it. Based on his production, he really deserved to do it. But he keeps on working on his power if he wants to become a real possible yusho winner. I'm looking forward to the end of that basho!

Guest bnona

Hakuho looks like not Asashoryu , His style, and body members me Takanohana zeki.

His yorikiri = Takanohana 's yorikiri

Hakuho's tachi-ai is almost perfect in terms of stance and balance - it was noted by the TV commentators here some time ago, and has become almost a cliche. Watch the angles of his lower legs and feet as he hits his opponent - you will not see a better demonstration of perfect balance for sumo. I'm glad to see to that he no longer relies quite so much on his left hand grip on the mawashi: the tsuppari he executed on the second day were really fierce. Finally, he has put on weight - I wasn't sure about this and he didn't seem sure before the basho either, but it seems to have given him more power. I'm still not sure he should stay this heavy, but it's working for him at the moment...

Finally, let us not forget in case the reinvention of history by the Japanese networks continues, it was Hakuho who destroyed Asa at the last basho, and therefore let in Tochiazuma for the yusho... Tochiazuma (and indeed Ama) really didn't have to work that hard to beat Asa after Hakuho had left him practically one-armed...

Guest Monde_de_fou

bnona, I don't mean they practice the same sumo. To me Asa used more technics, was more inventive in his way to defeat opponent. I'm just comparing their progress and the fact that both add that moment in their career where they need to rely more on their power in order to step up.

Hakuko has still this perfect balance, as mentionned by Flying Monkey, but add a basic weapon which is the key for me to become ozeki, and now I'm sure Yokozuna. I hope he doesn't gain to much weight but he doesn't need the same speed as Asa, so to my sens, he should be fine with his actuals weight. We will see against quicker opponent how those additional kilos impact his capacity to stay in front of them.

Guest Monde_de_fou

Hakuko proved today that he really step up. He was able to defeat Iwakiyama on his own strenght: the power!

He reallly shows something today, was able to just advance on the dohyo and with authority defeat one of the most powerfull sumo fighter!

Congratulations! Looking forward to the end of that basho and hope he keeps his focus!

i think hakuho will win this tournament. ...

whatever happens i think the days of five or six yusho in one year are over for the yokozuna. i expect him to take 4 this year but about three a year for the following few years. hakuho will be yokozuna by january 2007 is my prediction.

Ejem... Nishi:

I may understand that Asashoryu is going to lose THIS HARU BASHO and later is gonna get the remaining 4 of this year???

I think that if Hakuho wins this Tournament, Asa is not going to have too many opportunities to get the remaining 4 ones, 'cause I believe in Hakuho that being an Ozeki he is gonna try to win another one in order to reach higher achievements (Dohyo-iri...)

And thinking again that Asa is going to rush throughout the competition is at least quite optimistic. (Holiday feeling...) and worse, this qualifies his rivals as minced meat and not able to compete against him for a Yusho, something not very realistic this days. ;-)

Yes, it seems Nishi is in favour of promoting rikishi to Yokozuna with no yusho in the last two basho, going by those predictions. (Holiday feeling...)

two playoff loses in a row for hakuo to the yokozuna at the end of three consequtive 14-1 records. surely they won't deny him? (Holiday feeling...)

Probably not, but it is rather far-fetched. ;-) It is much more likely that he wins the needed yusho outright.

let me have a look in my cards again ... (Blinking...)

Asashoryu will win this basho (Holiday feeling...)

Hakuho will be the next Yokuzuna (A yokozuna...)

Kotooshu will never ever win a Yusho ;-)

Kyukutenho and Tokitenku will get their KK (Dohyo-iri...)

Roho will smile

and in 2008 Koki is in Makuuchi :-D

(Laughing...) (Laughing...)

Guest Monde_de_fou

I still think that Asa is a beast mentaly. He needs to loose times to times to step up immediatly after. I don't think he has totally reached his potential yet, he will when he will be each time in danger to loose, then he will keep on working hard & in a good yusho shape.

Hakuko is gifted but differently as Asashoryu. While Hakuko has that ability to stay balanced and to be able to absorb really big charge, Asashoryu has this imagination and inspiration, and what to say about his strenght! (it's not just due to work, there is natural gift as well) Remember when he lift so easily Miyabiyama!

It will be interesting to see both battle in the futur, and who knows maybe Sumo will regain some popularity with that rivalry!

Guest bnona

let me have a look in my cards again ... (Blinking...)

Asashoryu will win this basho (Singing drunk...)

.I think Hakuho will

Hakuho will be the next Yokuzuna (Eating...)

.I'm sure for it

Kotooshu will never ever win a Yusho (Eh?)

.No, Kotooshuu will take about 10 yushos. All sumo fans, oyakatas agreed Hakuho, Kotooshuu will be yokozunas. Now they talking about can they be DAI-YOKOZUNAS?

Kyukutenho and Tokitenku will get their KK (Nodding yes...)

I think Asashoryu can't get more than 3 yushos remaining years. Every year Kotoshuu will get 1 at least, Hakuho will 2 at least. Tochiyazuma maybe 1. Now things getting very hard for Asashoryu.

No more 7 yushos in row. No more zensho. No more 84 wins in an year.

Lets not forget up and coming baruto who seems to be dominating in juryo even though hes not at 100%. And in a couple of years id like to think that shibuya, kageyama, and wakanoho will be the new generation, while kotooshu, asa, hakuho, etc. are still in their prime.

Lets not forget up and coming baruto who seems to be dominating in juryo even though hes not at 100%. And in a couple of years id like to think that shibuya, kageyama, and wakanoho will be the new generation, while kotooshu, asa, hakuho, etc. are still in their prime.

I hope you are right - I am increasingly thinking that Homasho is a dark horse to keep an eye on too... he just has that calm thing about him. He isn't sylish, but he just does the business. Mokonami will also be Makuuchi before long, but i am not sure whether he will iron out his defects enough to ever be sanyaku, much as I like him.

we've seen other "young rising strong rikishi" coming from dominating performances in Juryo and below and never got to become stars in Makuuchi. So let's take a deep breath before saying big words ...

especially in the case of Homasho,Mokonami, Shibuya (he is not even dominating in Makushita), Wakanoho (same as Shibuya), Sawai etc ...

recent example Kisenosato who is struggling in mid-Makuuchi

and the biggest disappointment of all .... Miyabiyama.

Guest Monde_de_fou

Miyabiyama is not gifted in a sense that his sumo is pretty raw. He is heavy for sure but he doesn't have the same upside as Baruto. This one is a really powerfull guy, I don't see the same limit in his potential but I agree, you need to see how he will translate his sumo in this new category.

Kisenosato is still young. I don't see the same technical potential as Asa or Hakuko but he has a good yoriki technich, which is the basis.

Kotooshu needs to be healthy first and develop his ozumo technic (want to speak about technichs to push your opponent out of the dohyo, I'm right?), even if I think he started to do it the last basho...

Looking forward to see Asa - Hakuko - Tochi match up!!!

my comment on Miya was for when he came in Makuuchi with 2 consecutive Juryo Yusho in his first Juryo bashos.

Everyone was talking about the next Yokozuna. And they were right to say those words because of his body,because of his great oshi and because he just had won 2 consecutive Juryo Yusho ...

but history proved that things may turn away from what we expect.

Baruto could as easily win this Yusho and come abck with another next time and then flop in Makuuchi. I am just saying it is too early to speak if you haven't seen someone fight in the top division.

my comment on Miya was for when he came in Makuuchi with 2 consecutive Juryo Yusho in his first Juryo bashos.

After two consecutive Makushita yusho to start his career, to boot. I don't think anybody other than Itai started his career with four straight yusho even from Jonokuchi, let alone from Makushita Tsukedashi. (Edit: Oops, Itai was 6-1 in his first Makushita basho, not 7-0, so his four lower division yusho weren't consecutive. So much for my memory.)

Oh, yeah, Itai, now there's a guy who really dominated and won yusho after yusho in Makuuchi after dominating the lower divisions, eh. B-)

Edited by Asashosakari

Guest Monde_de_fou

what we have to distinguish is performance on a low level, which could be due to advantage on seize, weight or power and performance in top division, which couldn't be only due to one advantage.

Look at Kotooshu how he has to add weapons to his sumo to really step up in Makunouchi. I really think that Miya didn't have the way to progress on his drawback, only reying on his weight. He has developped some technics but not enough to clim the last step.

On the opposite, Asa & Hakuko really add skills such as power & more forward technics.

Baruto to me, based on what I've seen so far, has that possibility to go further that Miya. He has a big body, a lot of power, he is tall and has already good technics. However, I agree, he needs now to perform in the top division, but I feel confortable for that.

On Hakuho: We already know what future Hakuho holds. But I never liked his style before: backpedalling, hitting, punching, etc.and etc. The bout against Mickey last basho looked quite like a street fight. But this basho, he seems to show a manly competition, at last. So, he is barely getting where he should be, but the follow up remains to be seen. Physically he is already a monster. But he should continue this manly sumo for his dignity.

On Asashoryu: I have no word but phenomenal. I think, he brougth the sumo to the equal footing as the other high profile professional sports in terms of athlethism. He even loses with grace, figthing, showing great athletism. His performance is quite remarkable even by the standards of mongolian sumo. I think, his most amazing performances are still to be seen in the coming years, against ever increasing competition.

On Tochiazuma: I think our Ozekis remain as ozeki for a reason. What can you say if the council decides them not fit for Yokozuna? The council is doing their job. No current ozeki has shown a Yokozuna authority so far. And I don't see them changing in the coming months.

On Kotooshu: Imagine Kotooshu adding just 5 millimeters in his major muscles. There you have a king kong. Barring injuries, he could be a major obstacle in Hakuho's way. However, he has to learn from the fact that he was not even close to the yokozuna with one arm.

On the basho: Hakuho's mental strength is still to be seen. He will probably lose one or so to maegeshira rikishi. Asashoryu will still teach the young Mongolian some lesson this time. So, in the end, we are looking at Asashoryu again, only leaner and meaner. (Laughing...)

His performance is quite remarkable even by the standards of mongolian sumo.

Hmm, standards of mongolian sumo... I think Asa and other mongolian rikishi appreciate true sumo more then mongolian equivalent, are not they? IMO mongolian wrestling gives no advantage over Japanese or European rikishi. Asa is where he is because of his talent and sumo workout under eyes of Japanese oyakata.

His performance is quite remarkable even by the standards of mongolian sumo.

Hmm, standards of mongolian sumo... I think Asa and other mongolian rikishi appreciate true sumo more then mongolian equivalent, are not they? IMO mongolian wrestling gives no advantage over Japanese or European rikishi. Asa is where he is because of his talent and sumo workout under eyes of Japanese oyakata.

Well, there is an unlimited space (actually an open grassland like a golf court), and no time limit in Monoglian sumo. That is why you have to win by only technique and stamina. No luck, or trick at tawara or giujo decision helps. You have to win in a decisive way.

PS: Hakuho, Asashoryu, Ama, Tokitenku, Asasekiryu are all from well known wrestlers' family and they had years of training before they come to Japan. Kyokushuzan was a junior champion before he came to Japan. Heard, that Mokonami and Ryoyu also are from wrestlers' family.