Sign in to follow this  
Johnofuji

Sumo Myths.Fact or fiction?

I was going through some material that I had written 10 years ago and wanted to check the validity of some of the research I had done.Originally I wrote it for a Japanese language school as a bribe to get an extra one percent to supplement my 69% exam results to get a 70% pass.

I have all of it on paper and my sources were from old editions of Sumo World,the promotional material from "Shiko Funjatta" aka "Sumo do Sumo Don't" movie ,Tokyo Journal and various other publications.It was all before the internet was widely used otherwise I would know its true (yeah right)

I really question (Being ninja...) how some of the so called facts about sumotori could be plausible. I would like to know what others think before I update my paper. (Being ninja...)

Fact or fiction?.

"The largest amount of food eaten at one time was consumed by ex-Grand Champion Yoshibayama: 36 assorted lunch boxes obentos washed down by 72 bowls of noodles." (Eating...)

"One of the greatest grand champions Taiho drank over 70 bottles of beer against an Australian Rugby player in the 60

Do You really expect to find any proof for this myths? Every time they are told, the amount of sake, beer and noodles increases.

For more details about noodle enlargement contact Your favourite spammer.

For more details about noodle enlargement contact Your favourite spammer

(Applauding...) (Applauding...) (Applauding...)

seriously though, those can't possibly be true. i'm sure kaikitsune or someone can enlightne us on what would happen to a human body if it consumed that much sake/noodles

Guest Buyouzan

In a 1992 interview with Sports Illustrated entitled, "Meat Bomb," Konishiki denied allegations that he consumed 120 bottles of beer, 10 quarts of tequila, and 10 shots of whiskey on his 28th birthday. He said that it could not be true because he doesn't drink whiskey. Furthermore, it was certainly more than 120 bottles of beer.

Couldn't find the SI article. But I got this from this website: http://www.akaihana.com/Sumo.html

There was another website that mentioned Musashimaru claiming to have drank 108 beers. I've read somewhere in the past that Mitoizumi was a heavy drinker....

There was another website that mentioned Musashimaru claiming to have drank 108 beers. I've read somewhere in the past that Mitoizumi was a heavy drinker....

Well who isn't, I drank a glass of prosecco today (Applauding...)

Not Sumo, but Andre the Giant, of WWF fame in the 80's, was well known for drinking heavily, and there are several documented examples of him drinking over 100 beers, or several liters of hard alcohol. So, it is possible, in theory.

i'm sure kaikitsune or someone can enlightne us on what would happen to a human body if it consumed that much sake/noodles

They would get fat, would burp and fart and liver would work overtime to pack all the extra energy into fat!

It is quite simple to calculate the alcohol amounts of for example 100 beers and there are not very wide fluctuations in people's ability to burn alcohol (well alcoholics' livers are more effective but not to substantial degree). On average liver can burn 1g of alcohol per hour for every 10kg of body weight. The more fat you have, the less water content of your body and hence women get drunk easier as does Konishiki (in principle, in relation of weight).

Formula to count the alcohol content in promilles is : amount of alcohol in grams / liquid allocation coefficient (women have around 0.66 on average I think and men 0.75)*body weight

So the more you weight => alcohol concentration less

The more you are a woman = alcohol concentration more

The more you drink => alcohol concentration more (logical!!!)

If those beers are 4.5% alcohol (common in Finland) and 0.33l of volume, you can count the amount of alcohol in millimetres. 0.045*330ml=14.85ml

Alcohol is lighter than water and you need to multiple the ml with 0.8 which leads to g amount. So lets say that beer bottle has 15ml of alcohol. That means it has 12g of alcohol.

Konishiki is bored and is agitated to drink 20 beer bottles in 1 hour. He gets 20*12g of alcohol into his system which means 240g of alcohol. Now put that in formula above:

240g/0.66 (Konishiki has big fat content so he is woman in this)*230kg (estimation)=1.6 promilles only!

Not so bad and it does burn about <20g per hour in his case. Still if someone drinks 100 beers in lets say 10 hours and weights for example 170kg. The blood alcohol content would be 1200/0.75 (assumed man)*170 - 9 hours of burning (9*17=163g, 163/0.75*170) the blood alcohol content would be after those 10 hours:

9.4-1.3 = 7.9 promilles. Dead. 5 promilles kills most of us (3 promilles is already dangerous). Over 6 promilles is extremely unusual. So if Musashimaru would drink 108 beers (he does weigh more than 170kg but also has bigger fat content than average man), he would have to do that in more than 2 days time to stay conscious and alive, even if he would be complete alcoholic.

Fujisan, what was your record in promilles?

If some light sumoforum girl who would weigh 55kg would drink 20 beers fast, it would mean 240/0.66*55=6.6 promilles. Dead. Too bad.

Not Sumo, but Andre the Giant, of WWF fame in the 80's, was well known for drinking heavily, and there are several documented examples of him drinking over 100 beers, or several liters of hard alcohol. So, it is possible, in theory.

i have also heard of the documented examples of Andre's consumption. and the people who lived with him were most of the people telling the reports, they would know best.

A bit about Yoshibayama.

He was called up for a military duty in 1942, so close to making it to Juryo. During the war he got shot twice and was reported to have died and was even de-listed from his heya's book. It took him four years to return and when he came back to the heya in June 1946, he was so thin, initially everyone thought it was a ghost of him.

Since then Yoshibayama ate like no tomorrow and even was nicknamed "Stomach". He inherited Toshiyori Myoseki of Miyagino after his active career and trained his recruits at the same place where a sumo restaurant called "Yoshiba" currently stands. This is the restaurant with the old dohyo where he once trained his recruits.

About Raiden and the Chinese scholar - the scholar apparently slept through to the next night and heard about Raiden's prowess from others. He was so impressed with Raiden that he drew a painting and writing for him and presented it to him. This work is still kept at Tokyo's Akasaka Houdoji Temple where Raiden's grave is found.

The 24th Yokozuna Ootori once drank so much prior to his dohyo-iri that he fell down while doing the dohyo-iri and was needed to be helped out by his Tsuyuharai but he continued on and completed the ceremony.

Some thought former Maegashira 2 Takasago Beya's Nankairyu from Samoa could have been an ozeki or even yokozuna but he loved drinking booze so much that he quit Ozumo. He was initially picked by Takamiyama and Konishiki among 300 to join the heya and showed a great potential.

But on the night of Day 13 at the 1988 September Basho, he was discovered in a total stupor by hotel staff at the Asakusa View Hotel and police was called in. He was eventually taken back to the heya but the next morning he refused to do any training session and was scolded by then Takasago oyakata severely.

He promptly ran out of the heya and skipped the Day 14. The morning after the Senshuraku, he started to drinking heavily again with his friends who came to see him. Seeing this, Takasago oyakata finally had it and told him he had to choose between sumo and booze. Nankairyu told the oyakata he couldn't stop drinking and went back to Samoa. His retirmemnt papers were forwarded by the oyakata in October 1988 after a consultation with then chairman of the Kyokai, Futagoyama oyakata.

Edited by Jonosuke

If those beers are 4.5% alcohol (common in Finland) and 0.33l of volume,

Hmm, in Poland if you say beer it means 0.50 l of volume. 0.33 l means "small beer" - I wonder how about Musashimaru's beers - but with 0.5 it would be looked even more illogical. Great post Mr. Kakitsune - alcohol is bad for health, now I finally understood it (Blushing...)

Edited by Shimpu

In a 1992 interview with Sports Illustrated entitled, "Meat Bomb," Konishiki denied allegations that he consumed 120 bottles of beer, 10 quarts of tequila, and 10 shots of whiskey on his 28th birthday. He said that it could not be true because he doesn't drink whiskey. Furthermore, it was certainly more than 120 bottles of beer.

Couldn't find the SI article. But I got this from this website: http://www.akaihana.com/Sumo.html

Think this is a link. Love the comments about the next morning.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/magazine/...waii/flashback/

[so what about the beer and the tequila?

"That's only partly true. The 10 quarts of tequila is right, but I drank more than 120 bottles of beer." Did he get Meat Bombed?

"No, but the next morning I felt like I had 23 hearts, and all 23 were in my head, pounding."]

Hmm, in Poland if you say beer it means 0.50 l of volume. 0.33 l means "small beer" - I wonder how about Musashimaru's beers - but with 0.5 it would be looked even more illogical. Great post Mr. Kakitsune - alcohol is bad for health, now I finally understood it (Neener, neener...)

Well, in Japan there are various sizes of beer bottles. The small ones are 0.35 l, the middle ones 0.5 l and the large ones are 0.633 l

The middle and large ones are available in crates and would be the ones served at parties or izakaya. The contents of the bottle are usually poured into small glasses from which they are consumed (rahter than drinking directtly from the bottle).

Think this is a link. Love the comments about the next morning.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/magazine/...waii/flashback/

[so what about the beer and the tequila?

"That's only partly true. The 10 quarts of tequila is right, but I drank more than 120 bottles of beer." Did he get Meat Bombed?

"No, but the next morning I felt like I had 23 hearts, and all 23 were in my head, pounding."]

.. and the pictures from this SI article are in this topic from the forum http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/index.php?...980entry76980