Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Ex-Takanonami ill

Ex- Ozeki Takanonami (current Otowayama Oyakata, 34) has been in hospital in Aomori since late January with heart problems. He has been diagnosed with no less than 7 illnesses - acute respiratory failure, 心房細動 (something with the heart atrium), blood poisoning, and other unnamed stuff. He will be kyujo from Haru basho of course. He had some chronic problems with his heart since his active days. He starting feeling bad after Hatsu and was hospitalized immediately. Takanohana Oyakata reports that at one point his heart stopped and he underwent emergency surgery. He is no reporeted to be in stable condition. "He was in serious danger at one point, but all that is behind him. I hope to see his speedy return to the heya", added Takanohana Oyakata. According to the hospital report, he is undergoing treatment and should be released around the beginning of April.

Edited by Kintamayama

心房細動

Atrial fibrillation. That can cause the other "illnesses" or symptoms and if that chronic heart disease must have been it during active career too. Usually old people's disease but can attack younger people too, athletes are at bigger risk it seems. But for atrial fibrillation to cause a cardiac arrest that would lead to emergency operation, that is the bizarre part. What did they operate then??

Ex- Ozeki Takanonami (current Otowayama Oyakata, 34) has been in hospital in Aomori since late January with heart problems. He has been diagnosed with no less than 7 illnesses - acute respiratory failure, 心房細動 (something with the heart atrium), blood poisoning, and other unnamed stuff. He will be kyujo from Haru basho of course. He had some chronic problems with his heart since his active days. He starting feeling bad after Hatsu and was hospitalized immediately. Takanohana Oyakata reports that at one point his heart stopped and he underwent emergency surgery. He is no reporeted to be in stable condition. "He was in serious danger at one point, but all that is behind him. I hope to see his speedy return to the heya", added Takanohana Oyakata. According to the hospital report, he is undergoing treatment and should be released around the beginning of April.

Puuuh, these are bad, bad news, saw him with his little baby in january and he looked quite good to me. (Nodding yes...) I hope he will recover soon and completely.

It appears he was unconscious for two weeks, before waking up. Takanohana said it was a miracle. He still can't walk, but the doctors are optimistic that he will be able to walk out of the hospital in April.

As usual in these cases, the real nature of the graveness of the situation slowly trickles in. It seems he cannot speak or walk. This is far more serious than I first thought. He lost 35 kilos.

It sounds that he has brain damage. Logical guess would be that the atrial fibrillation cause a blood cloth that caused a stroke in his brain and now speech area is affected and also other areas since he can't walk. In any case, as of now sounds like he will not come back any time soon.

He will be kyujo from Haru basho of course.

Wow. Completely sad and horrible news, but what does it mean when you say kyujo from Haru basho if he is intai already? Kyujo from his heya duties?

Wow. Completely sad and horrible news, but what does it mean when you say kyujo from Haru basho if he is intai already? Kyujo from his heya duties?

Kyujo from his KYOKAI duties.

It sounds that he has brain damage. Logical guess would be that the atrial fibrillation cause a blood cloth that caused a stroke in his brain and now speech area is affected and also other areas since he can't walk. In any case, as of now sounds like he will not come back any time soon.

The report said he listed seven conditions and they only list three (but not a mention of stroke so we don't know what the other four conditions preventing him to come back for his oyakata duty).

But it does sound very very serious. Takanonami has been always well liked (not that he died or anything) so everyone is praying for a speedy recovery. One of the conditions listed was sepsis or blood poisoning so this may have been a cause of his coma. He still cannot walk nor talk so it appears he won't be able to come back that quickly. I know Taiho oyakata eventually overcoming his stroke to continue with the heya but I wonder Otowayama oyakata can continue with his oyakata duty at the heya or needs to leave the Kyokai.

Perhaps Takanohana oyakata should do something about the heya - maybe get a Fenshui master to clear out bad spirits or something as the heya lost the previous shisho and one of the deshis and now this. You never know what's lurking underneath....

Edited by Jonosuke

Bad, bad, news :-) (Tears forming...)

I am a huge fan of Takanonami since my first look on sumo...I realy pray for his recovery...

Perhaps Takanohana oyakata should do something about the heya - maybe get a Fenshui master to clear out bad spirits or something as the heya lost the previous shisho and one of the deshis and now this. You never know what's lurking underneath....

Perhaps worth trying...

Very sad to hear... I hope he will get the time and peace to recover!

I liked that "Evil Sekiwake", the "No, he won't try that!?!" when watching him. The former Tower of Power *) has collapsed now.

Gambatte, Takanonami-san! Get well soon!

*) Is that a nickname also known outside the German Eurosport transmission or is it just an invention by the commentator?

The former Tower of Power *) has collapsed now.

[...]

*) Is that a nickname also known outside the German Eurosport transmission or is it just an invention by the commentator?

Well, this is the first time I've heard it (listening to English commentator).

Ex-Takanonami has left the hospital on March 30th. He is being treated at home.

Ex-Takanonami has left the hospital on March 30th. He is being treated at home.

Good to hear :-) , hope he will recover completely.