Sign in to follow this  
Asashosakari

search function changed?

Asashosakari    9,189

Perhaps I'm hallucinating again, but does the search work differently now than it used to? (Beyond allowing 3-letter searches, that is.) The old method of searching for multiple words, e.g. "+Yokozuna +Ozeki" gives no results now, and instead AND / OR searching seems to work. Though only if you spell them as "and" / "or"...it seems that "ozeki and yokozuna" searches for posts containing the two words "ozeki" and "yokozuna", while "ozeki AND yokozuna" searches for posts that include the phrase "ozeki and yokozuna". Now that's what I call counter-intuitive...

In addition, the search results seem to be a bit strange sometimes now...a search for "Osaka" includes (among several correct hits) a post mentioning "osakate" and a post quoting my handle (Asashosakari)...did the switch to "manual search" enable that, or is something broken? At any rate, it's not doing it consistently, as there are many "osakate" posts that don't show up in the "osaka" search.

Edited by Asashosakari

Exil    188
Perhaps I'm hallucinating again, but does the search work differently now than it used to? (Beyond allowing 3-letter searches, that is.) The old method of searching for multiple words, e.g. "+Yokozuna +Ozeki" gives no results now, and instead AND / OR searching seems to work. Though only if you spell them as "and" / "or"...it seems that "ozeki and yokozuna" searches for posts containing the two words "ozeki" and "yokozuna", while "ozeki AND yokozuna" searches for posts that include the phrase "ozeki and yokozuna". Now that's what I call counter-intuitive...

That is quite possible. MySQL search is well documented, but I am clueless as to how the manual search is supposed to work. I guess we'll be using boolean operators from now on.

In addition, the search results seem to be a bit strange sometimes now...a search for "Osaka" includes (among several correct hits) a post mentioning "osakate" and a post quoting my handle (Asashosakari)...did the switch to "manual search" enable that, or is something broken? At any rate, it's not doing it consistently, as there are many "osakate" posts that don't show up in the "osaka" search.

Manual searching looks for substrings. Only 1000 first hits are displayed, so some posts will be missing. That notwithstanding, manual search is supposed to be the better option.

If your hallucinations continue to manifest themselves as forum search results, seek professional help. :-S

Edit: Oh, and the search now works with kanji.

Edited by Exil