Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

TV ratings

TV ratings on senshuuraku reached 21.8% between 5 and 6 pm.. It's the first time they were over 20% since March 2001. The peak came between 5:31 to 5:32 PM, when the ratings reached 31%. On day 14, it was 22.1% between 5 and 6 PM as well. Paper attributes this to the interesting climax of this basho. All this refers to the Kanto area.

Edited by Kintamayama

Good sign ! Anything over 20% is very good, generally... Let's hope we'll have something that good in March. All the ingredients are there...

between 5 and 6 pm (average. Kanto-area)

▽DAY 1、18.3%

▽DAY 2、17.5%

▽DAY 3、15.5%

▽DAY 4、15.6%

▽DAY 5、16.8%

▽DAY 6、15.4%

▽DAY 7、18.0%

▽DAY 8、21.5%

▽DAY 9、16.5%

▽DAY10、18.3%

▽DAY11、17.3%

▽DAY12、17.6%

▽DAY13、18.5%

▽DAY14、19.7%

▽DAY15、27.1% (best 36.7%)

I don't want to belabor the point but just like stats, rating number reports do not tell the real story. In Japan there is only authority of TV ratings, Video Research.

They recorded 27% on Ozumo Hatsu Basho Day 7 2003 (Saturday January 18 from 17:23 for 23 minutes so I don't know where they came up from "since 2001 March" thing.

At the last (2008) Hatsu Basho at the time Hakuho beat Asashoryu they had 34.1% while the Senshuraku average TV rating was 24.4%. The Mainichi Shimbun reported at the time it was the first since 2006 Haru Basho they recorded over 20% rating.

It appears to me they would come up with a new angle to report ratings for Ozumo every basho but to me the only true measure is to see how Ozumo ratings stack against overall ratings of other sports programs. Certainly NHK wants to trumpet every little bit of uptick on their ratings and they are generally up this basho but as far as viewing from overall sports programs they have not made that much huge dent.

I won't repeat listing the second week of the basho here but other than the Senshuraku, the only other basho day they placed was on Day 9 with 7.2%, 6h out top 12 sports programs. If you'd like check, it's at this page. However their Senshuraku rating of 27.1 % was the highest rated program for the week.

It appears to me they would come up with a new angle to report ratings for Ozumo every basho but to me the only true measure is to see how Ozumo ratings stack against overall ratings of other sports programs. Certainly NHK wants to trumpet every little bit of uptick on their ratings and they are generally up this basho but as far as viewing from overall sports programs they have not made that much huge dent.

I don't understand your argument. It's not like ratings are a zero-sum game unless we're talking about the exact same time period. What does it matter how well sumo did compared to something else in the same week?

What does it matter how well sumo did compared to something else in the same week?

For instance as opposed to a marathon or soccer game coverage in the same week period. If there are other sports programs with higher ratings than Ozumo, then it means that they are not necessarily getting more popular. In a particular week or a day if more programs attain higher ratings than previous times then it only means more people are watching more TV.

In a particular week or a day if more programs attain higher ratings than previous times then it only means more people are watching more TV.

That's a weird conclusion I have to say. You can easily make the assumption that people are watching less TV, except for the program with the high rating, boosting its rating. In fact, these ratings make no statement at all about the number of people watching.

Let's face it, sumo fared excellent on TV during the last basho. These ratings are all what matters (and of course there are lots of ifs and buts, only what does it really matter?), and they speak for sumo as far as TV stations are concerned.

How about this way?

KyuUshuU 2008

between 5 and 6 pm (average. Kanto-area)

▽DAY 1、15.7%

▽DAY 2、11.0%

▽DAY 3、12.6%

▽DAY 4、13.4%

▽DAY 5、11.6%

▽DAY 6、12.4%

▽DAY 7、15.6%

▽DAY 8、14.9%

▽DAY 9、13.5%

▽DAY10、14.2%

▽DAY11、14.2%

▽DAY12、15.0%

▽DAY13、14.5%

▽DAY14、17.5%

▽DAY15、22.9% (best 29.3% at 17:45)

I think it is comparable with last basho.

given the above list, it is obvious that the weekend yields higher rating, which in turn means that more people watch when they arent working....given the time slot of 5-6pm i would guess there are still a large number of people who arent at home watching who might like to, because they are at work or on their way home from work. which effects the rating to be lower.....as such, its extremely out of line to compare the rating of a TV "show" like sumo which comes on at a non-peak hour, with a prime time show that specifically comes on in a later peak hour in the night to accomidate when people are home and watching TV. .....ill bet if you just compare the number of TVs that are on, not what they are watching, between those two time slots(of 5pm compared to 9pm), you would find a huge difference.

TV Ratings on senshuraku (between 17:00 and 18:00) were 25.7% in the Kanto area and 20.3% in the Kansai area.

could somebody tell me where to find those ratings? i mean, i tried www.videor.co.jp, but all i could find there was stuff from 2010 to today and only the top ratings from each week...