Sign in to follow this  
ilovesumo

Hokutoriki

Sure, he lost it, but it wasn't the "chickened" guy we have seen in other big bouts.

(Sign of approval)

Was surprised that Zuma played Hokey's game. I expected Zuma to go for the belt. It a close call, but I was very happy with the outcome.

I was surprised that Azuma did not take advantage of Riki's early pulling attempt and push him out, but I suppose he was being patient and did not want to take unnecessary chances.

Just look at the Ozeki's footwork, he never lost balance for a split second, while Hokutoriki is stumbling around. That's why Zuma won.

Just look at the Ozeki's footwork

Do not mix up with footjob (Tsuppari...)

Tochiazuma did refuse to play another one of Hokutoriki's games. He refused to make any pretense of putting his second hand down, knowing he wouldn't be called on it. So Hokutoriki had to start his tachiai without his preferred advantage. This is why gamesmanship at the tachiai should never be criticized...if you know the rules aren't going to be enforced, why not use every advantage available...that's what the other guy is going to do.

over cautious i felt the ozeki was

Both Tochiazuma's strength & weakness (I am not worthy...) His caution keeps him from falling against repeated slapdown attempts, keeps his opponents off his belt for the most part :-) But, he lacks initiative, often choosing to play a waiting game - thinks too much, tires out, and takes a few bad losses at crucial moments (Applauding...)

Of course, the injury bug doesn't help (Punk rocker...)

Thanks, Yoda.

And may the force be with you, Ozeki!

Thanks, Yoda.

And may the force be with you, Ozeki!

i thought i was the only one who thought that was a Yoda-like statement. (i dare not be the first to point out such a thing) :)

i thought i was the only one who thought that was a Yoda-like statement. (i dare not be the first to point out such a thing) :)
fearing to be the first while thinking to be the only one....have a cookie!

fearing to be the first while thinking to be the only one....have a cookie!

SMAP has a song like that .... it goes something like you may not be the number one but you are the only one, the only flower in the world (of course being called a flower may not be so apropos in your case ;-)

Edited by Jonosuke