Sign in to follow this  
Flying_Monkey

Hello everyone...

I've just joined and didn't see this section at first...

I'm a lecturer at a British university and a visiting fellow at a famous university in Tokyo. My wife is Japanese and we divide our time between Japan and the UK. I've been watching sumo on and off since they used to show it on television in the UK in the late 1980s, when I was fortunate enough to witness the great Chiyonofuji, whose career, style, attitude and physical abilities will never be bettered IMHO.

Being a little guy myself, I have always been a fan of the smaller and/or more compact rikishi: Kyokudozan, Maenoumi, Kaiho, Ama, and so on. But I have also developed a big interest in the Mongolians, especially their attempt to bring cunning and exciting throwing techniques back into sumo starting with Kyokushuzan in the 1990s. I am amazed he is still going and keeping up his record of a winning record in one basho followed by an impressive losing record in the next! And of course Asa...

My current favourite is Hakuho, who I have watching for a while, and predicted he would get to Yokuzuna ages back. I still think he will now he seems to be over his injury-hit last year.

My other main interests: I am a fanatical cyclist (and often to be seen passing in a blur on the banks of the Arakawa river!), futsal player and practitioner of kung-fu. I also did judo for many years but it did my knees in. I write poetry, and have a huge appetite for literature and philosophy from all cultures, and I am a practising Buddhist. Oh, and I love cooking, especially south-east Asian stuff and shojin ryori.

Pleased to meet you all. I will be checking in here now and again, especially during bashos.

Edited by Flying_Monkey

Welcome to the forum F.M (Hugging...)

Chuck in your salt (Chucking salt...) and join the fray.

We have at least 3 things in common-

1/ I too got into sumo from watching sumo on British tv in the late 80's.

(Nodding yes...)

2/I loved Chiyonofuji (Nodding yes...)

3/ I'm a bit(lot) on the small side. (Nodding yes...)

We're practically brothers. ;-)

Welcome to the Forum! I hope you will enjoy all the interesting discussions posted here. (Jumping in ecstasy...)

Welcome! (Pulling hair...)

HI!

I love Shuzan also, am a fan of Hakuho.

Am a student, so I won't talk to much to you (Pulling hair...) .

HI!

Am a student, so I won't talk to much to you (I am not worthy...) .

Oh, go on... I'm not one of those evil, scary lecturers...

(Nodding yes...)

new book out on shojin ryori BTW - Nishinoshima has it and will hopefully see this and put the title. Kodansha IIRC.

Which uni BTW?

We have a Todai member herein - Captain of the sumo club there. Have a club at your place?

HI!

Am a student, so I won't talk to much to you (Yusho winner...) .

Oh, go on... I'm not one of those evil, scary lecturers...

(Laughing...)

Sure your not Flying Monkey, that is what all of my professors tell me....and you know what they all lie!...jk

Welcome to the forum. (Whistling...)

new book out on shojin ryori BTW - Nishinoshima has it and will hopefully see this and put the title.

the enlightened kitchen.........mari fuji

Cheers, but I have it already. It's a bit quirky and decidly non-traditional in places, and hardly comprehensive, but the recipes just about all work well (I've tried most and made a few notes for changes) and it's well-worth getting if you want a nice Japanese vegetarian cookbook...

new book out on shojin ryori BTW - Nishinoshima has it and will hopefully see this and put the title. Kodansha IIRC.

Which uni BTW?

We have a Todai member herein - Captain of the sumo club there. Have a club at your place?

I'm at Waseda - they do have a sumo club but I am not sure if it is actually active or just a fans' group.

I'm at Waseda - they do have a sumo club but I am not sure if it is actually active or just a fans' group.

Isn't Kyokushuuzan the head of the Sumo club in Waseda, at least in principle?

Waseda has a real sumo club. They have become very strong in the last few years (after they started to accept excellent sportsman without entrance exams).

Kyokushuzan occasionally comes to invite students to join their sumobeya.

Waseda also has a fan club. That's where demon comes from.

Waseda has a real sumo club. They have become very strong in the last few years (after they started to accept excellent sportsman without entrance exams).

Kyokushuzan occasionally comes to invite students to join their sumobeya.

Waseda also has a fan club. That's where demon comes from.

Blimey,I didn't know that! I am in the right place then - Kyokushuzan being my long-term favourite! I'll have to go down and check out the training sometime...

Welcome!

One of the Waseda guys has done pretty well in his weight class at the East japan Weight Class competition in the last two years. I don't recall his name but he won in 2004 and then went a bit heavier in 2005 but didn't do quite as well. I'm sure I read something on the net about him if you are interested.

What do you teach? I'm a PhD student at the University of Auckland doing my doctoral research on the globalization of amateur sumo. Always nice to have other academics on the forum. I might hit you up for some photocopies of information and articles if you're not careful!

Edited by Sasanishiki

One of the Waseda guys has done pretty well in his weight class at the East japan Weight Class competition in the last two years. I don't recall his name but he won in 2004 and then went a bit heavier in 2005 but didn't do quite as well.

Are you thinking of Morishita? I believe he is in the second year Social Studies student at Waseda. If I recall he lasted till the second round of All Japan last time around.

One of the Waseda guys has done pretty well in his weight class at the East japan Weight Class competition in the last two years. I don't recall his name but he won in 2004 and then went a bit heavier in 2005 but didn't do quite as well.

Are you thinking of Morishita? I believe he is in the second year Social Studies student at Waseda. If I recall he lasted till the second round of All Japan last time around.

Wow, my department. I will have to say 'hello'... my mentor probably teaches him.

I do stuff on urban redevelopment, and also on video surveillance in public space. I'm a geographer in the UK, but here it's sociology/planning.

In 85kg class there was a guy called something like Morikoshi. In 2004, his last year, he won the East Japan and if I am not wrong the whole Japan title. He is not in Tokyo anymore.