Sign in to follow this  
Kaikitsune Makoto

New kyujo

KaioU goes kyujo. Shisho says "Because lower back condition has gotten worse, he has no way of persevaring now. Hence kyujo"

This would have been a good time for him to simply retire.

Dale

Edited because I spelled my own name wrong- goodnight :)

Edited by Dale

14th kyujo, will be 9th kadoban basho together with Chiyotaikai, a world record. That is, if he decides to return.

Edited by Kintamayama

If my numbers are correct Kaio is the winner of Kadoban #100! (Clapping wildly...)

Assuming he doesn't retire. You may be counting your kadoban before it hatches.

Let's try that again since my first reply made no sense at all...

If my numbers are correct Kaio is the winner of Kadoban #100! (Clapping wildly...)

That depends. I think the Kyokai will just consider Taikai and Kaio the joint owners of kadoban 99 & 100, but if the timing matters, I imagine Taikai will be #100 because he's going to receive his 8th loss one day later than Kaio.

That said, Asojima's correct of course...this all assumes that Kaio doesn't retire (or Taikai, for that matter).

The Kabodan record can only continue to grow with no kosho though its inevitable. (Clapping wildly...)

KaioU goes kyujo. Shisho says "Because lower back condition has gotten worse, he has no way of persevaring now. Hence kyujo"

This info is now on the NSK website (appeared within the last hour or so) - KaioU withdraws as of Day 9, record is 3-5.

I totally agree with Dale! Why not retire gracefully now instead of yet another kyujo (yaaaawn...) and yet another kadoban (double-yaaawn). The man turns 34 this year, all hope of yokozuna promotion is long gone and he has chronic injuries. Kaio is arguably the greatest ozeki in the post-war era. Why tarnish that with pathetic performances like this one? I say retire, let the young'uns take over and go into history with style!