Sign in to follow this  
Jesinofuji

World's Greatest Athlete 2005

World's Greatest Athlete 2005  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Is Asashoryu the greatest athlete in the world in 2005?

• yes
    • no

Swept the Yusho, set a record for the number of wins in a calander year, completed 2 zensho-yusho. If you think he's not, then please tell us who it is and why?

Clearly the best currently active professional rikishi, but how do we determine who's the best athelete in the world? How do we decide which sports/players receive consideration...?

For example:

Individual sports v. team sports

How do we measure performance? Records? Titles? Money?

Does how widely a sport is practiced carry any weight?

How are strength, speed, endurance, etc. weighted?

Edited by Otokonoyama

Asashouryu is not the greatest athlete in the world.

The only real way to make a any comparison would be domination of your chosen sport. The "Best Athlete" in the world is a decathlete.

Roger Federer has been as 'untouchable' this year as Asashouryu has.

Roger or Asa for domination of their respective sports.

Team sports the 2005 All Blacks and the 2005 Indy Colts both have the their hands up.

Take your pick out of those four for being dominant

Oops forgot Lance Armstrong. talk about domination, he got 7 too, and I would bet money that he would trump our man Asa in any poll. Even one on this forum

Edited by sekihiryu

At least we can say it's not Michael Schumacher in 2005 (Whistling...) .

Edit:

Searched on the net- hell, so many "World's Greatest Athlete" votes. Where can we find the one and only important vote?

Edited by ilovesumo

Actually, Roger Federer and Asashoryu have pretty comparable win records in 2005 with 81-4 against 84-6. It's a bit better for the Swiss in terms of percentage and I think he had the better year of these two, even if he didn't win the French Open.

I nominate Valentino Rossi for that title. It might be a close contest between Roger Federer, Valentino Rossi, Lance Armstrong and Asashoryu... (Dohyo-iri...)

Yes to me he is the greatest Athlete in the world because Sumo is the greatest sport in the world (Dohyo-iri...)

Who gives a damn how great Federer is playing Tennis? If hes that great he should play a more interesting sport. >(Sleeping...)

Ah, you have to love the subjectivity of these types of polls. My greatest athlete of theyear might be Michael Campbell, just because of what he has achieved this year compared to where he was last year. All the others mentioned before where already strong or dominant in 2004. I'm going for greatest improvement over the 12 months.

I think you have to look at how popular a sport is too. There are 800,000 people who play hockey in Canada alone each year ( way more play golf ) and we make up about half the talent pool for the 650 players in the National Hockey League. Those 650 players are comparable to the 40 Makuuchi elite in terms of being the 'pro-level'. On the surface, it looks like Sumo is about 15x LESS competitive than NHL hockey in terms of talent pool.

I'm inclined to say that the 'best' athlete would have to come from a sport that is heavily popular around the world. If Sumo were as popular as golf or football then Asashoryu might only be grinding his way through the mid-maegashira right now.

My actual choice for greatest athlete goes to Forrest Griffin for winning the first season of The Ultimate Fighter. If you don't get Spike TV you might not know what the hell I'm talking about but I'm giving it to Forrest for one reason: The guy is the most natural athlete I've seen since Muhammad Ali and he has the superstar personality to go with it.

In spirit I'm agreeing with Fujisan. Tennis???

I think maybe Fedor Emelianenko.

His all around conditioning, strength, speed and technical ability is pretty good. Plus he's a pretty determined fighter, and has a good mental game too. Of course, his sport of choice is nasty and brutish...but that doesn't take away from his athleticism. But then again, PRIDE is a great test of the complete-ness of one's athletic ability.

The problem with a question like this is that in general, athletes are highly specialized. Akebono, for example, was extremely good at his sport, but is obviously lacking in sports that don't require his specialization. Lance Armstrong has great lungs, and endurance, but in fact, isn't so strong. Not particularly quick either. Bob Sapp is strong, and rich and looks the part of a superhero. But he has no technique, and no cardio.

Anyway, Shoryu must be in the lower middle. He's strong, got lots of specialized technique, dominates his sport. Not so fast, overall, or quick. Also doesn't have any endurance at all, comparatively speaking.

two cents

Yes to me he is the greatest Athlete in the world because Sumo is the greatest sport in the world (Blushing...)

Who gives a damn how great Federer is playing Tennis? If hes that great he should play a more interesting sport. >:-D

With 2 smileys in 2 lines, this can only be meant as a joke.

The question is not if Sumo is the greatest sport in the world (remember it

Yes to me he is the greatest Athlete in the world because Sumo is the greatest sport in the world (Blushing...)

Who gives a damn how great Federer is playing Tennis? If hes that great he should play a more interesting sport. >(Hugging...)

With 2 smileys in 2 lines, this can only be meant as a joke.

The question is not if Sumo is the greatest sport in the world (remember it’s not even Olympic…) or not.

I think that Tennis has a handful more fans than Sumo (or even more?) and is slightly more popular.

No Fegi I'm quite serious and these so called Tennis fans need to get a life. :-D

No Fegi I'm quite serious and these so called Tennis fans need to get a life. :-D

Umm, you should consider that there might be a few of "these so called Tennis fans" among us (just take a look at Feginowaka's or my profile)...

BTW my vote for World's Greatest Athlete 2005 is Ole Einar Bjoerndalen (Blushing...)

Umm, you should consider that there might be a few of "these so called Tennis fans" among us (just take a look at Feginowaka's or my profile)...

I did! (Blushing...)

BTW my vote for World's Greatest Athlete 2005 is Ole Einar Bjoerndalen (I am not worthy...)

Ah, Ole Einar... I shamefully neglected Nordic skiing and biathlon last year, so now I have to catch up before Torino so I know who's who. Nice to see that Ole Einar can still both shoot and run! Ole! (Showing respect...)

I think that people need to look at Chad Johnson of the Cincinnati Bengals no one has ever had such awesome inzone celebrations. I was going to say Johnny Damon...but now he is signed to the NY yankees...so no more Damon...anyone on the Boston Red Sox is under greatest Athlete!!!

Alright I think that it is to hard to say that anyone is the World's Greatest Athlete, saying that someone is the best in there sport is one thing, but I find it way to hard to combine all athletes, and say that one is better than the other.

Also Roger Federer is an amazing tennis player!!!

Just to add my two cents, I would have a hard time deciding between Asashoryu, Federer, or Rossi, but since nobody said we could not nominate a woman, I would add Elena Isinbayeva to the poll. She is the first -and only- female pole volter to have cleared the 5-meters mark, she has beaten the world record 5 times in 2005, and this year she has won the European as well as the World Championships. She also finished the year as the top female athlete in the IAAF ranking...and she is beautiful (Shaking head...)

Um, no for 2 reasons. One was alluded to by Jakusotsu. Two, anyone with the talent and desire to become a professional athlete in other sports like tennis may compete, but in Ozumo for other than Japanese you have to be let into a Sumo beya first, and only 1 foreigner per heya is allowed.

I don't mean this as a rap, because I am a fan, and I understand why it needs to be protected as a (mostly) national rather than international sport. I think if they removed the "Japaneseness" to make it an international sport it would lose something important.

Asashoryu is the greatest current Sumo wrestler, of course.

Achievement-wise, he is. He didn't lose the final to Nalbandian, that's for sure. Athletes I've seen nominated for best of the year include Federer, Armstrong, Isinbaeva, some others. Among these only Isinbaeva has shown such domination of her sport (Women's pole vault, for those who don't know) as Asashoryu did in sumo this year.

The greatest athlete of 2005 was Benji Marshall of the Wests Tigers. Without him they would not have won the NRL Premiership.

PS, Tennis rocks!