Sign in to follow this  
Asashosakari

Juryo promotions

Insomnia has struck, so I'll beat out Moti on these for a change...no real surprises in these promotions:

Mokonami (debut)

Homasho (debut)

Satoyama (debut)

Kotokasuga (return, last in Juryo: Aki 2005)

Wakakirin (return, last in Juryo: Haru 2005)

Sumanofuji (return, last in Juryo: Nagoya 2005)

This is Sumanofuji's 7th promotion to Juryo, which if I'm not mistaken means he's now moved into joint 1st place in that category.

Wow this means, more than I expected are falling down....

Wow this means, more than I expected are falling down....

Well, four are. Baruto, Shiraishi, Kakuryu, and your choice of either Chiyotenzan or Masatsukasa. (I'll go with Tenzan here.) The other spots are freed up by Kotonowaka and Yotsukasa.

Forgot about Yotsukasa. Yeah I think Masatsukasa stays. Man, that Tenzan travels well. Both Masatsukasa and Tenzan have a wife and boy so it will be tough for one of them.

Edited by Jonosuke

The more I think about it, Baruto might indeed stay. I think, 0-1-14 at J4 compared to 5-10 at J11 is about the same normally expected rank (Ms2), and when it comes to slacking falls, the bigger fall just has more room to cut... so Baruto might in the end be the lucky one.

Could the Kyokai take into consideration the reason of Baruto going kyuju? It's not as if he chickened out and faked a injury... I sure hope he stays in juryo.

Anyways, isn't this kid Homasho the one there's been a bit of a buzz about? How come? (I'm not very much up to date...)

The more I think about it, Baruto might indeed stay. I think, 0-1-14 at J4 compared to 5-10 at J11 is about the same normally expected rank (Ms2), and when it comes to slacking falls, the bigger fall just has more room to cut... so Baruto might in the end be the lucky one.

I just don't see it...5 wins on 14 half-ranks should be a clear-cut decision in favour of the winning-er guy everytime.

Though, who knows. I'd definitely prefer to have Baruto over Masatsukasa in Juryo next basho, but...

Edited by Asashosakari

Will have a possibility to meet Bart on friday and ask his oppinion about it as I was invited to spend a evening with him. I truly hope I will have time to go. Have many questions to ask.

He has told that he is very anxious to start wrestling again but is still waiting for doctors permission.

Edited by Senpai

i sure hope baruto stays in juryo. Who knows, he might even go undefeated in another weak juryo, as long as he is completely recovered. But next summer, juryo will be top notch i think with a lot of these young gunners possibly being promoted from makushita.

Will have a possibility to meet Bart on friday and ask his oppinion about it as I was invited to spend a evening with him. I truly hope I will have time to go. Have many questions to ask.

He has told that he is very anxious to start wrestling again but is still waiting for doctors permission.

Tell him our best wishes! (I am not worthy...)

Houmashou and his Oyakata, ex- Terao, current Shikoroyama Oyakata:(and no, that is not a green turban on Shikoroyama'a head)

20051130-04125109-jijp-spo-view-001.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

Wow, this Houmashou fella looks quite good, almost in the mold of Terao himself in term of his body size and facial features.

Anybody knows anything about Mokonami's father - Ganbold? Is he Ganbold the lion - former sekiwake of mongolian wrestling?

Anybody knows anything about Mokonami's father - Ganbold? Is he Ganbold the lion - former sekiwake of mongolian wrestling?

Though it did not give his name and rank, a feature on Mokonami in "Ozumo" magazine said his father was "successful and popular in Mongolian sumo."

Edited by madorosumaru

Houmasho - Shikoroyama Beya

-------------------------------------

"I have been trained personally by the oyakata ever since I've joined here, so I've been feeling I couldn't easily lose to anyone for long long time."

Despite following a sumo's elite course by graduating from Saitama Sakae High School and accepted by Nihon University Sumo Club, Houmasho had to quit the club in his first year due to a serious skin infection (the same disease suffered by Dejima, Tochisakae and others). Since then he has been working as a parking lot attendant and taking other part time jobs while attending the lectures.

However he was never able to give up his dream and when he found out Satoyama and other Club members whom he joined at the same time were about to join Ozumo, he decided to quit the university and join Shikoroyama Beya.

"I've adored the oyakata's (Terao) sumo since I was a kid. If the oyakata was going to start his own heya then, I'd really wanted to start with him from the very beginning."

What is Shikoroyama oyakata looking from his first sekitori, "Terao Junior" ? "I want him to go up to Makuuchi and face Asashoryu," the oyakata said without hesitation. While most sekitoirs are running away from the yokozuna these days, Shikoroyama says, "If need be, I will tie him up and drag him over to the yokozuna myself."

Mokonami - Tatsunami Beya

----------------------------------

Mongolian Mokonami became the first sekitori from Tatsunami Beya since the current oyakata (former Komusubi Asahiyutaka) inherited the heya in February 1999. "I am extremely happy. I want to catch up as quickly as possible to Hakuho who joined at the same time," Mokonami said looking rather tense at the press conference.

"I am obviously very happy but I Ireally wanted to develop a sekitori in ten years so I am somewhat relieved as well," Tatsunami oyakata said.

His shikona comes from Mongolia but since his dohyo debut was in Osaka, the oyakata changed it around to make it Moko (meaning 'Fierce Tiger', Japanese baseball's Osaka based Hanshin Tigers team is known for).

A new Kesho mawashi featuring a Tiger is planned to be presented to Mokonami prior to the Hatsu Basho.

Satoyama - Mihogaseki Beya

-----------------------------------

A small build with current height of 177 cm and weight of 114 kg, Satoyama pleadged he would go solely with a straight out sumo without depending on trick and henka moves. Satoyama said the thing that got him really going was seeing his heya mate Baruto, and Shiraishi. who joined NIchi-dai Sumo Club at the same time as him, were promoted to Juryo ahead of him.

In the Kyushu Basho, both got injured and withdrew from the basho so it appears they are heading back down to Makushita in the Hatsu Basho so Satoyama could feel he has caught up with them for now. However Satoyama says he won't worry about anyone else and he will be trying to prepare himself for the Hatsu Basho as best as he could. "I am thinking about getting Kachikoshi for sure next basho," Satoyama said.

i sure hope baruto stays in juryo. Who knows, he might even go undefeated in another weak juryo, as long as he is completely recovered. But next summer, juryo will be top notch i think with a lot of these young gunners possibly being promoted from makushita.

Thhese "young gunners" would make Juryo quite interesting, however - I'm not really hoping for Bart to "squeeze" through a weak Juryo, only to arrive in Makuuchi unprepared.

While most sekitoris are running away from the yokozuna these days, Shikoroyama says, "If need be, I will tie him up and drag him over to the yokozuna myself."
:-D ;-)