Sign in to follow this  
Kashunowaka

The three prizes

Well folks, looks like we have some deserving candidates this time!

Kotooshu beat the yokozuna, withstood the pressure, got double-digits and seems like a nice guy all around. Sansho for him.

Miyabiyama thinks he deserves a sansho because he beat all the ozeki and he is no longer one. Well, Tochiazuma wasn't around long enough to be beat by anyone else, so that's kind of a moot point. Miyabiyama did get double-digits this basho. But does he deserve a sansho? I think not.

Tokitenku has 10 wins as well which I think is way above expectations. He also demostrated today against Hakurozan that he is made of rubber. This clearly deserves a sansho: Toktenku is my favourite for the gino-sho.

Lastly I think that Tochinohana is well deserving of a sansho. If his comeback isn't fighting spirit, I don't know what is.

Shukun-sho: Kotooshu

Kanto-sho: Tochinohana

Gino-sho: Tokitenku

Miyabiyama has not only won 10 matches and beaten all the ozeki, he also shown some very good sumo this basho. If he wins tomorrow, I see no reason why he's not worthy of a Ginosho.

Agree with everything else though.

Miyabiyama has not only won 10 matches and beaten all the ozeki, he also shown some very good sumo this basho. If he wins tomorrow, I see no reason why he's not worthy of a Ginosho.

Agree with everything else though.

Welcome Peterao! I see you decided the forum is playable..

And yes, as a long time Miyabiyama fan who still believes he'll return to Ozeki one day, I think he deserves it for sure.

Edited by Kintamayama

Well, I for one thinks Miyabiyama deserves one, especially if he wins on the last day.

Just because he is a former ozeki should not disqualify him, since that was like 4 years ago.

Heart-warming support for Miyabiyama! Yes, perhaps you are right. Of course he is not disqualified as such. I do think that the fact that he is a former ozeki is a handicap though. IMHO he was robbed in Nagoya last year, when he got 12-3 jun-yusho. One can hope that the people who decide about sansho are less parsimonious this time.

I think that if Miyabiyama gets a sansho, it will be the kanto-sho.

he also shown some very good sumo this basho.

B-)

yes he won a good may bouts, but I would hardly describe his sumo as 'good' though.

If all sumo looked like that I wouldnt be a fan thats for sure.

'In form' Miyabi though denies us of the bizarre pleasure of the Miyabi - Dohyo dive - that is the only thing that he does that I like. Next basho perhaps.

I agree that Miyabiyama probably deserves a sansho this time, but giving him the gino-sho would strike me as a bit bizarre, and even more so considering there's a viable candidate for that prize in Tokitenku. Kanto-sho'll be fine.

Shukun-Sho: Kotooshu

Gino-Sho: Tokitenku (if he wins tomorrow)

Kanto-Sho: Miyabiyama (if he wins tomorrow)

Well, Tochiazuma wasn't around long enough to be beat by anyone else, so that's kind of a moot point.
Pardon? Just because nobody else (except for two unsuccessful Maegashira) had the chance at beating Tochiazuma, Miyabi's square and fair win doesn't count? I'm far from being a Miyabiyama fan, but that logic escapes me...

Since he beat three Ozeki and two Komusubi including a possible jun-yusho winner, would the shukun-sho be very far-fetched?

who got them?

Shukun-sho- Kotooushuu (2)

Kantou-sho- Kotooushuu (3), Miyabiyama(4), Tochinohana(2)

Gino-sho - Tokitenkuu (1)

Edited by Kintamayama

who got them?

Shukun-sho- Kotooushuu (2)

Kantou-sho- Kotooushuu (3), Miyabiyama(4), Tochinohana(2)

Gino-sho - Tokitenkuu (1)

I'm delighted to see Tochinohana receive a kanto-sho, I've always liked his sumo a lot and thought I would never see him again at that level. Not only is he back, but with a vengeance!

It's a bit surprising that Tokitenku got the gino-sho while losing on senshuraku and finishing with 10-5 (since they have been quite harsh in giving out prizes of late), but if there was a prize for "most improved rikishi", he would get it. He has really broadened his sumo style, he now uses tsuppari and nodowa very well, so in a sense this prize does not reward his well-known kakete wizardry but rather his newly found versatility and especially his ability to win through tsuki-zumo. Not your typical gino-sho in that sense, but well deserved IMHO.

As for Miyabiyama, he almost looked like his former (pre-ozeki) self at times this basho (most notably yesterday against Tamanoshima); especially, his footwork has improved a lot compared to his recent performances...

And as for Kotooshu, let's hope for him that these two sansho are the last ones he gets - at least before a very long time...

Well, I'd like to add my very own "lifetime-achievment-award" to dear Kotonowaka, the gentle giant. Mr. Ippon has been a true original, and I very much look forward to seeing his achievments in the future.

And could I hand out sort of a by-the-side fighting spirit award it would go to Ama. I love seeing the little guy always meeting his opponents head on. What a technique, too!

It's a bit surprising that Tokitenku got the gino-sho while losing on senshuraku and finishing with 10-5 (since they have been quite harsh in giving out prizes of late),

well, the prizes were announced (on tv anyway) before the start of today's bouts (always that way?), so obviously they weren't taking Tokitenku's loss (or Miyabiyama's either for that matter) into account. (not saying it should've made a difference in either case)....

Well, I'd like to add my very own "lifetime-achievment-award" to dear Kotonowaka, the gentle giant. Mr. Ippon has been a true original, and I very much look forward to seeing his achievments in the future.

And could I hand out sort of a by-the-side fighting spirit award it would go to Ama. I love seeing the little guy always meeting his opponents head on. What a technique, too!

It's Mr. Ippun with Kotonowaka. Kaio is Mr. Ippon after that ipponzeoi against Musashimaru.

well, the prizes were announced (on tv anyway) before the start of today's bouts (always that way?)

If I remember correctly sometimes the sansho is subjected to a win on senshuraku, but perhaps I'm wrong...

well, the prizes were announced (on tv anyway) before the start of today's bouts (always that way?)

They are always announced before the start of day 15, but often attached with the condition of winning on this day. No condition this time, obviously.

. . . You may recall that Hakuho was the only one to receive a sansho (Gino Sho in Hatsu Basho). Other rikishi had good records but were denied. You may have wondered what logic, or lack of such, goes into the determination of these awards. I came across an article that should shed some light on the matter.

The Sansho Selection Committee met at 1 p.m. on Senshuraku at the Sumo Reports' Club located in the Kokugikan. Of the 26 members, 24 were present, one absent, and one tendered a proxy. To be selected for an award, a rikishi must receive a majority of 13 votes.

First the candidates and the considerations:

Shukun Sho - None.

Kanto Sho - 1. Hakuho, who won in double digits as shin-komusubi with good sumo quality. 2. Tochiazuma, despite being a former ozeki, showed good sumo while just returning from kyujo and still not in optimal physical condition. His performance is deserving of the award in spite of his former high rank. 3. Kotooshu, who did not win in double digits but used "umai" sumo to defeat, among others, Chiyotaikai. 4. Iwakiyama, only if he wins to go kachikoshi. He used a powerful brand of sumo to beat Chiyotaikai and others. His approach exemplifies the "fighting spirit" of the award.

Gino Sho - 1. Hakuho. Oshiogawa Oyakata: "Shinpan Dept. feels there is no qualifier for Shukun and Kanto. If there is to be an award, it would be Gino to Hakuho." 2. Kotooshu.

Determination:

Two rikishi, Hakuho and Kotooshu, were candidates for two awards. It was agreed to vote the following: A. both awards B. one of the two C. none of the two.

For Hakuho, 0 for A, 23 for B, 0 for C. For Kotooshu, 0 for A, 11 for B, 13 for C. As a result, there would be no award for Kotooshu. To determine which of the two awards to give Hakuho, they had another vote. Kanto Sho - 0; Gino Sho - 23.

It was decided to award Hakuho his first Gino Sho.

For Tochiazuma's Kanto Sho, there were 12 ayes, one short of the necessary total.

Iwakiyama could only garner 7 votes for his Kanto Sho.

The committee may stipulate, at times, that a potential recipient must win on senshuraku to quality for an award. The award for Hakuho in Hatsu Basho was unconditional. He did win on senshuraku but would have received the Gino-sho even if had lost.

Well, Tochiazuma wasn't around long enough to be beat by anyone else, so that's kind of a moot point.

Pardon? Just because nobody else (except for two unsuccessful Maegashira) had the chance at beating Tochiazuma, Miyabi's square and fair win doesn't count? I'm far from being a Miyabiyama fan, but that logic escapes me...

Yes. :-) It escaped the sansho committee too, who were very generous this time. (Shaking head...)