Sign in to follow this  
Yangnomazuma

Kotonowaka Intai

My Japanese is rudimentary at best, but it appears that Kotonowaka has gone Intai. Anyone with better skills than my own able to confirm or deny?

I can only confirm that Kotonowaka went make-koshi today by courtesy of a Shunketsu-henka.

Looks like intai.

Kotonowaka crying.

Ending such a long career by henka (Blushing...)

Is Shunketsu stupid?

Nothing official yet-they'll wait till the end of the day. I'm convinced this is it. Makekoshi- today is the last day for Sadogatake. Perfect timing. TV announcers probably already said it.

(Blushing...) Oh man....... There is one guy called Shunketsu who does well to stay out of my sight for a looooong time, regardless of his size or weight...... :-P

A sad Onnagumo (Laughing...)

Did Kotonowaka say prior to the basho that he'll go intai if and only if he goes makekoshi? Because it's not as if kachikoshi/makekoshi made the difference between makuuchi and juryo for him.

Damn, it's pity. Kotonowaka was good and this is not the best way to leave.

(Blushing...) Oh man....... There is one guy called Shunketsu who does well to stay out of my sight for a looooong time, regardless of his size or weight...... :-P

A sad Onnagumo (Laughing...)

I think he would have retired regardless of winning or losing today. As I have said before amidst a flurry of zabutons, that's the way it is. He HAD to retire, no beating about the Bush.

[

I think he would have retired regardless of winning or losing today. As I have said before amidst a flurry of zabutons, that's the way it is. He HAD to retire, no beating about the Bush.

I know, and that is not what I meant. I meant the henka.

Is Shunketsu stupid

Henka. So what? He is a small guy so there is nothing wrong for me. (Blushing...)

Is Shunketsu stupid

Henka. So what? He is a small guy so there is nothing wrong for me. (Blushing...)

Still... giving a veteran his last loss through a henka, when you know there are very very high chances of retirement right after the fight... well, it DOES seem like bad taste.

Anyway, I think I'll miss Kotonowaka... Who is the Makuuchi senior now that he's retired ?

Is Shunketsu stupid

That's not the point. it's that it was a well-respected veteran in what was generally known to be his last match; he should've shown him the respect of playing fair.

it's been a *long* time since i've had a $#!+ list for sumo, but Shunketsu is now on it. that was seriously low-class. i hope his shisho rips him a new one tonight.

(Blushing...)

I'll miss the ol' boy. But at least he'll stay on ozumo.

Now only Kaio is left from when I started following sumo, methinks. And not for long...

Is Shunketsu stupid

Still... giving a veteran his last loss through a henka, when you know there are very very high chances of retirement right after the fight... well, it DOES seem like bad taste.

Anyway, I think I'll miss Kotonowaka... Who is the Makuuchi senior now that he's retired ?

Kaio, then Tosanoumi.

:-P

I'll miss the ol' boy. But at least he'll stay on ozumo.

Now only Kaio is left from when I started following sumo, methinks. And not for long...

I will miss him a lot (Blushing...) . But I'm so glad that he will now take over Sadogatake beya so he is still there in ozumo.

Kotonowaka, I already start to miss you (Laughing...) Even before the official part of your intai (Blushing...)

:-P Good that he will stay in sumo and I hope his oyakata career will last es long as his time in activ Sumo...and will be at least as successful...

Kotonowaka, I already start to miss you (Laughing...) Even before the official part of your intai (Blushing...)

:-P Good that he will stay in sumo and I hope his oyakata career will last es long as his time in activ Sumo...and will be at least as successful...

Hopefully it will last longer and be more successful. He lasted 21 years and 8 months in active sumo, and it's still 27 years and 6 months until his 65th birthday. Also may his deshi win more yusho than he did.

guess the banzuke with him on it for the very last time may go down well. Kotonowaka fans, want one? - let me know.

Considering he's been the defacto shisho for the past couple of years at least, i guess Osh would sorta count as one of his deshi, wouldn't he?

also, i have a question. i've been watching for about ten years or so now, and have seen many retirements and danpatsu-shiki. but this is the first one i can recall seeing where a rikishi retired to become a shisho, as in immediately. (Asahiyutaka had to wait a little bit, didn't he?) but in the danpatsu-shiki, the tome-basami is normally always done by the rikishi's shisho, something that is clearly impossible in this case, since he is already the shisho. so i guess in this case, moto-Sadogatake Oyakata would be granted an exception and allowed to do it, despite having left the Kyokai...? are there specific rules for this sort of thing?

Happy Intai Kotonowaka! (Weeping...)

Interesting mix of fortunes for Sadogatake with Kotowakas final bout and Kotooshu sealing his Ozeki promotion with a win against Asashoryu.

Interesting days ahead aswell.

Edited by Fujisan

Interesting days ahead aswell.

Don't say that! Others have said the basho, in fact the whole year, is boring. So it must be right.

(Weeping...)

NHK announcer said today that Kotonowaka was retiring whether he won or lost, because tomorrow is his oyakata's (who is his father-in-law, as well) 65th birthday, so he has to fill in as oyakata and he has to change his name (become the official oyakata) before the matches start tomorrow.

I agree, Shunketsu was already make-koshi, and since he knew beforehand (announcement came earlier today) that Kotonowaka was retiring, he should have given him a real match. Jerk. What a way to go.

BTW - it was very cool watching Kotooshu push out the Yokozuna! I sat through all the replays and the Kotooshu interview...couldn't drag myself from the TV!

What a big day in Fukuoka. (Weeping...)

Don't say that! Others have said the basho, in fact the whole year, is boring. So it must be right.

(Laughing...)

Of course,its not like me to be contrary. (Weeping...)

Anyway I said interesting times ahead,that could mean I've been bored up to now.

NHK announcer said today that Kotonowaka was retiring whether he won or lost, because tomorrow is his oyakata's (who is his father-in-law, as well) 65th birthday, so he has to fill in as oyakata and he has to change his name (become the official oyakata) before the matches start tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure Sadogatake would have been allowed to finish the basho as oyakata, as Taiho was in May.

If it was announced in any official way that Kotonowaka would retire after today, he wouldn't have been

allowed to fight today.

Dale

Edited by Dale