Sign in to follow this  
Shibouyama

Kotooshuu v.s. Hakuho

I think Kotooshuu and Hakuho may have the makings of a good rivalry. After a very close match today a monoii was called with a torinaoshi as the result. Kotooshuu won this won fairly easily then, after Hakuho was clearly out, gave him an extra shove. Hakuho held onto Kotoshuu's mawashi to pull him off the dohyou, then, on the ground, gave Kotooshuu a little shove to push him into the crowd. The announcers didn't seem to say anything about this, but the crowd sure noticed and seemed to enjoy it. (Punk rocker...)

gave Kotooshuu a little shove to push him into the crowd. The announcers didn't seem to say anything

Looked a lot like a petulant Roho to me. Hakuho is quickly becoming Sumo's top Heel in my mind and it makes me respect humble Yogurt all the more. I think Hakuho really really wanted that match too. Speaking of Yogurt, does anyone else think that Osh beat Tamanoshima on day 10? Tamanoshima's hand was down before Kotooshu landed..

Tetsuzukiyama

http://bernie.users.geeky.net

does anyone else think that Osh beat Tamanoshima on day 10? Tamanoshima's hand was down before Kotooshu landed..

Tamanoshima executed a throw, so I think that's what gave him the edge. Also, from where the gyogi was standing, he couldn't see Tamanoshima's hand touching the ground and gave him the victory. Still, a mono-ii would have been logical...

Edited by Faustonowaka

(Sign of disapproval) That was unfair from Hakuho, It bothered my seeing him act that way and I hope he can control himself better next time. I wouldn't want to come to dislike him (Nodding yes...)

About the off topic, I would give the win to Tamanoshima; IMO Osh was flying with nothing more he could do. Tamanoshima didn't have to touch the ground, and you could argue that he did it to protect Osh and not fall with all weight on top of him. He hit Osh in the back anyway with the knee, fortunately not hard.

does anyone else think that Osh beat Tamanoshima on day 10? Tamanoshima's hand was down before Kotooshu landed..

Tamanoshima executed a throw, so I think that's what gave him the edge. Also, from where the gyogi was standing, he couldn't see Tamanoshima's hand touching the ground and gave him the victory. Still, a mono-ii would have been logical...

Yes. At some point during the throw Osh was flying with both feet up in the air. Thus, the elusive dead body rule would apply.

Guest masamune2005
Hakuho is quickly becoming Sumo's top Heel in my mind

why do you think this?

i agree that haku really wanted this bout, and after getting injuried in the first match he knew he would lose. IMHO, the final shove was not because he was beaten but because he injured his side and was frustrated with his helpless to fight back during the re-match. that said, he should control himself, maybe punch a wall once he is off camera...

BTW, at least this match showed that the future of sumo is secure--both guys a meter off the dohyo, a couple meters off the ground, 300 kg dropping headfirst; and neither one flinches. no hands out to break their fall, no letting up at all. if this isnt the reason we watch sumo, i dont know what is. :-P

i agree that haku really wanted this bout, and after getting injuried in the first match he knew he would lose. IMHO, the final shove was not because he was beaten but because he injured his side and was frustrated with his helpless to fight back during the re-match. that said, he should control himself, maybe punch a wall once he is off camera...

Wow, I had the same feeling too. Hakuho was very uneasy after the first bout. The way he was walking and sitting at pre-bour rituals (how you call it in Japanese?...shikiri? ) it seemed he want prolong the ritual to get a little rest.

Hopefully it's nothing serious and just a temporary concussion after the hard landing.

BTW, at least this match showed that the future of sumo is secure--both guys a meter off the dohyo, a couple meters off the ground, 300 kg dropping headfirst; and neither one flinches. no hands out to break their fall, no letting up at all. if this isnt the reason we watch sumo, i dont know what is. :-P

Me either. But the future of sumo is NOT secure unless NSK stops trying to prevent men like this from entering sumo.

i agree that haku really wanted this bout, and after getting injuried in the first match he knew he would lose.

What is your source for this? Who said he was injured? In the newspapers? On TV? Your personal observation?

Just curious.

Edited by Kintamayama

why do you think this?

Ah, my impression of Hakuho is that he's really talented but a bit of a slacker. He's probably good enough to go right to the top but he doesn't seem to have the strength or fitness to pull it off. Last night against Miyabiyama was a good example of Hakuho not having the ... what... commitment? Anyone else seeing this?

I admit that I'm stretching to come up with Sumo Villains but I like to imagine a bit of Pro-Wrestling drama in Ozumo. Asashoryu used to be a great Antagonist with his harite and bully-image but now he's gone all techincal and is kind of a good guy. More like Neutral since he's so much in his own class.

Kotooshu is a good guy, great Sumo poise and even his cheap wins don't look bad on him.

Hakuho is a bad guy, underacheiving and willing to cheapshot anyone.

Russian Bros - Bad guys because of their pulldowns and minute bowing angle

Kisenosato is a good guy but mainly because he's from Ibaraki where I used to teach

Shunketsu is a bad guy as of last night but his baldness makes him seem sketchy anyway

Chiyotaikai is also becoming a bit of a Heel too although he doesn't often get to be the spoiler

Don't get me wrong, there are no bounds to the love I have for Hakuho and the rest of the boys but I find it way more fun to villify a few guys each Basho.

Tetsuzukiyama

I admit that I'm stretching to come up with Sumo Villains but I like to imagine a bit of Pro-Wrestling drama in Ozumo. Asashoryu used to be a great Antagonist with his harite and bully-image but now he's gone all techincal and is kind of a good guy. More like Neutral since he's so much in his own class.

Kotooshu is a good guy, great Sumo poise and even his cheap wins don't look bad on him.

Kisenosato is a good guy but mainly because he's from Ibaraki where I used to teach

Shunketsu is a bad guy as of last night but his baldness makes him seem sketchy anyway

Chiyotaikai is also becoming a bit of a Heel too although he doesn't often get to be the spoiler

And never forget the evil Takanonami, who looks just like Kaiho!

Sorry, but I had to. (In a state of confusion...)

Guest masamune2005

i agree that haku really wanted this bout, and after getting injuried in the first match he knew he would lose.

What is your source for this? Who said he was injured? In the newspapers? On TV? Your personal observation?

Just curious.

my computer has been down the last few days...

i based this on seeing the match and the NHK announcers. but after his match against miyabi the next day, maybe it was not an injury after all, but just poor conditioning. i have never seen a rikishi run out of steam like hakuhou in that miyabi match!

Guest masamune2005

why do you think this?

Ah, my impression of Hakuho is that he's really talented but a bit of a slacker. He's probably good enough to go right to the top but he doesn't seem to have the strength or fitness to pull it off. Last night against Miyabiyama was a good example of Hakuho not having the ... what... commitment? Anyone else seeing this?

Don't get me wrong, there are no bounds to the love I have for Hakuho and the rest of the boys but I find it way more fun to villify a few guys each Basho.

Tetsuzukiyama

i respectfully disagree with this entire post.

i respectfully disagree with this entire post.

I think it's fine to have Good Guys and Bad Guys, as long as you don't take it too seriously. I think that Tetsuzukiyama got his point through just fine. You can root against a rikishi and still have the deepest respect for him.

Edited by Kashunowaka