Sign in to follow this  
Olenishiki

Geishas at the basho

As always one of the great things about this sport is the cultural context surrounding it. Does anybody know the story of that row of geishas in frequent attendance at this basho?

As always one of the great things about this sport is the cultural context surrounding it. Does anybody know the story of that row of geishas in frequent attendance at this basho?

Don't know the story on them, but I noticed the ones there on day 9 seemed to be even longer in the tooth than the ones you normally see.

It's a sad day when crowd watching is more interesting than the Sumo... I have been wondering about the Geisha too...

they have been there each of the last few years at Fukuoka.

Usually leave before musibi-no-ichiban though.

Got news for you. They were there for several days for the Fukuoka bashos when I watched them in the 70s. From the look of the ones there on day 9, they may have even been the same geisha.

My guess is that they have some connection to Kaio/Tomozuna Beya as they always leave right after Kaio's bout. I imagine the owner/operator is a big Kaio or Tomozuna supporter and they get the tickets through them as they occupy the same row always.

My guess is that they have some connection to Kaio/Tomozuna Beya as they always leave right after Kaio's bout. I imagine the owner/operator is a big Kaio or Tomozuna supporter and they get the tickets through them as they occupy the same row always.

My guess is that they are affiliated with our Rijicho in some way. All proof points to him.