Sign in to follow this  
Kaikitsune Makoto

Tochiouzan and Goueidou - Career watch

Sawai and Kageyama will be big stars in ozumo. My prediction is that Sawai will become ozeki in 3 years max. Bold prediction for sure but he has superb quality. Kageyama I have never seen in action yet but he has good physique and is young etc. In any case I will follow their career in this thread until they go intai! Always bump up this thread in the future and ponder about their sumo and progress. Forget Kushimaumi's disappointment and Daishoma-like "certain sekitori who never get beyond makushita". Sawai will show the world. The bouts I have seen from him have convinced me totally. Soon will start this long time thread by summing up their careers so far with kimarite and opponents etc. New era has begun (Applauding...)

Edited by Kaikitsune Makoto

Sawai and Kageyama will be big stars in ozumo.. . . New era has begun

The media have been paying attention to the two, especially Sawai, since the time they joined (or even before). Sawai has moved up the banzuke so swifty and effortlessly that a "stumble" last basho warranted a two page feature in the October "Sumo" magazine. There were pictures of all his seven matches (4-3) with description and analysis.

The conclusion was that it was a "wake-up" for the phenom and he should benefit from the experience. The article compared him to Tochiazuma and Asashoryu, who came out of high school to star in the pros. They each had one make-koshi basho in makushita during their meteoric rise to the top.

At this point, Sawai hardly ever loses to heya-mate Hochiyama during keiko and he even has his moments against Iwakiyama. At 5-0 so far this basho while ranked at makushita 32, Sawai should be within juryo range in the very near future.

An added note of interest was in today's Takasago blog. Asahimaru, no slouch himself before his injury, was a high school yokozuna while belonging to the same dojo as Sawai, who was in primary school at the time. Asahi remembers lending his chest to the little (not in size!) boy and had very mixed feelings yesterday while watching his ko-hai wrestle from "on deck."

Meanwhile, Kageyama is only a step or two behind. He received quite a bit of press when he joined due to the fact that he is yet another one of Asashoryu's ko-hai from Meitoku. His current 5-0 record at sandanme 12 virtually assures him of a promotion to juryo next basho. Yesterday, he totally outclassed (according to a reliable observer) another highly regarded prospect, Sokokurai, who also had been undefeated to that point.

Not to be outdone is another member of their mae-zumo class, Kadomoto, also of Sakaigawa Beya. Kadomoto is also 5-0 at sandanme 7 and will be joining his colleagues in makushita next basho.

A fourth member of the mae-zumo class is the Hungarian Masutoo. who is currently 4-1 at jonidan 12.

I'd also like another one of the trio who joined Sakaigawa along with Sawai and Kadomoto - Fukunaga was all ready to go to a university and even sent out an application as he was graduating from Hibiki High School in Shimonoseki, Yamaguchi Prefecture.

He may not possess a star quality as Sawai but I think he may eventually make it to Makuuchi perhaps not as quickly as Sawai but he has good fundamental skills.

The conclusion was that it was a "wake-up" for the phenom and he should benefit from the experience. The article compared him to Tochiazuma and Asashoryu, who came out of high school to star in the pros. They each had one make-koshi basho in makushita during their meteoric rise to the top.

At this point, Sawai hardly ever loses to heya-mate Hochiyama during keiko and he even has his moments against Iwakiyama. At 5-0 so far this basho while ranked at makushita 32, Sawai should be within juryo range in the very near future.

Obviously wake-up call was brisk since Sawai clinched his first makushita yusho by beating Satoyama to complete his strong 7-0 yusho. Sawai will start the year 2006 very close to juryo indeed where also Kageyama joins after vanquishing Wakanoho today with morozashi yorikiri. Sawai had had quite thorough warm-up session at shitaku-beya prior to his bout against Satoyama spending about an hour doing shiko and suriashi. Also moto-Asahiyutaka mentioned that Sawai doesn't rely to his favourite migi-zashi so much anymore which of course is a good development.

Kageyama is said to remind some people of Musoyama...

Some background info so people know who are these rikishi in this thread...

Sawai won 11 high school titles and was the only high school rikishi who participated in All Japan 2004 championship where he lost in semifinals to a veteran kotenage-king. He is very fast and strong rikishi already with very good keiko attitude. He started with 7-0 jonokuchi yusho in Haru 2005, then went 6-1 in Natsu 2005 losing one bout to Teruyama. In Nagoya basho he dominated sandanme with 7-0 and made his makushita debut in Aki basho. Showing tremendously strong sumo on his winning days, he still lost three and got a mere 4-3. Now in Kyushu basho he returned to winning ways going 7-0 at mid-makushita. Yet, he beat both Hokutoiwa and Satoyama easily enough which would indicate he is more than ready challenge the yusho also in Hatsu basho 2006. He will probably be tested fully by Baruto then and there are other obviously challenging foes coming to tussle with fire on the mawashi every day.

Sawai's height is listed as 182cm on Kyokai's site and 138kg weight which has gone down since his debut so it is a good frame to build on. His leg strength was said to be very impressive already. He comes from Osaka and was born 6th of April in 1986.

Sawai has beaten Kageyama twice during their career so far. Their first bout as jonokuchi rikishi was against each other. Sawai won with shitatenage.

Sawai's career so far:

Jk31 Haru 2005 7-0 yusho:

Sawai shitatenage Kageyama

Sawai oshidashi Hayatefuji

Sawai oshidashi Anjoryu

Sawai kotenage Yonemura

Sawai oshitaoshi Kaneko

Sawai yorikiri Matsuda

Sawai yoritaoshi Nadatsukasa

Jd25w Natsu 2005 6-1 kk:

Sawai yorikiri Kosei

Sawai yorikiri Kamioiyama

Sawai yorikiri Anju

Sawai yorikiri Kaishinho

Sawai yorikiri Hakunoryu

Sawai hikiotoshi Kageyama

Teruyama shitatedashinage Sawai

Sd61w Nagoya 2005 7-0 yusho:

Sawai yorikiri Oisami

Sawai hatakikomi Yuki

Sawai yoritaoshi Seiryu

Sawai yorikiri Takashoma

Sawai yorikiri Sokokurai

Sawai sotogake Asatofuji

Sawai oshidashi Fujitsukasa

Ms37w Aki 2005 4-3 kk:

Tatsuyutaka uwatenage Sawai

Sawai yorikiri Ryugi

Kakuo hikiotoshi Sawai

Sawai yorikiri Munakata

Asahibenten yoritaoshi Sawai

Sawai yoritaoshi Kirinoumi

Sawai hikiotoshi Ichinotani

Ms32w Kyushu 2005 7-0 yusho:

Sawai yorikiri Dewanofuji

Sawai uwatenage Shibuya

Sawai yorikiri Kakuo

Sawai yoritaoshi Arawashi

Sawai watashikomi Kitataiki

Sawai oshidashi Hokutoiwa

Sawai oshidashi Satoyama

Sawai's page on Sakaigawabeya's web site

Sawai's resume is pretty impressive with Yusho at each level except for Jonidan, where he was 6-1.

This page has his current weight at 125 kilos, so if he was once 138, then he has lost 13 kilos of weight. I don't know if there's an ideal weight, but 125 is pretty big for 182 cm. I'm kind of partial to lots of muscle, but not too much extra fat myself. Such as Chiyonofuji. Too much mass I think makes one more prone to injury and likely to have a shorter career.

Meanwhile, Kageyama is only a step or two behind. He received quite a bit of press when he joined due to the fact that he is yet another one of Asashoryu's ko-hai from Meitoku. His current 5-0 record at sandanme 12 virtually assures him of a promotion to juryo next basho.

Skipping Makushita altogether? (Blushing...)

Kageyama is said to remind some people of Musoyama...

I hope that ends once be becomes Ozeki (Blushing...)

His current 5-0 record at sandanme 12 virtually assures him of a promotion to juryo next basho.

That should have been ". . . promotion to makushita next basho." Thanks for pointing out the error.

Kageyama is 18 years old who can do both oshi and yotsu. 187cm and over 130kg with not much fat. Chose Kasugano on his own despite having been aggressively recruited by many other heya. He was born in 1987 which is a good healthy fact.

Today he clinched his sandanme yusho with an overwhelming win over Takahashi in play-off.

Kageyama's career so far:

Haru 2005 Jk31e 6-1 kk

Sawai shitatenage Kageyama

Kageyama yoritaoshi Kadomoto

Kageyama okuridashi Sato

Kageyama yorikiri Hidenofuji

Kageyama yoritaoshi Fukuoka

Kageyama yoritaoshi Yonemura

Kageyama oshitaoshi Kaneko

Natsu 2005 Jd61e 6-1 kk

Kageyama yorikiri Masutoo

Kageyama oshitaoshi Ryusei

Kageyama yorikiri Hoshiryu

Kageyama oshidashi Hoshigane

Kageyama oshidashi Maenofuji

Sawai hikiotoshi Kageyama

Kageyama oshidashi Katsumori

Nagoya 2005 Sd93e 6-1 kk

Kageyama okuridashi Oka

Kageyama oshidashi Oito

Kageyama tsukidashi Kanko

Kageyama oshidashi Taikoki

Kageyama oshidashi Wakarikido

Kageyama sukuinage Kaishoryu

Nakanishi okuridashi Kageyama

Aki 2005 Sd36e 5-2 kk

Kageyama yoritaoshi Shikinoumi

Kageyama oshidashi Hanada

Kageyama oshidashi Murayoshi

Kageyama oshidashi Akinohana

Kageyama yorikiri Hamaeiko

Yoshio yorikiri Kageyama

Daiki oshitaoshi Kageyama

Kyushu 2005 Sd12w 7-0 yusho

Kageyama yorikiri Niioka

Kageyama yorikiri Daihoyama

Kageyama yorikiri Hanada

Kageyama sukuinage Takamaru

Kageyama yorikiri Sokokurai

Kageyama yorikiri Kadomoto

Kageyama oshidashi Wakanoho

Kettei-sen

Kageyama oshitaoshi Takahashi

Pics, anyone? It's so hard to form an idea about a person that is only facts, not a face. Most interesting thread, though!

Pics, anyone? It's so hard to form an idea about a person that is only facts, not a face. Most interesting thread, though!

PN2005112301003224.-.-.CI0002.jpg

There are movies from 5 of Sawai's bouts from the Aki basho here, thanks to Doitsuyama (note that this was his worst basho so far though).

Guest chicconofuji

Japaneese Strikes back!!!

Good very good!!

I'm very happy that this too young talented rikishi don't disapoint.

But we must following their careers carefully. We shouldn't expect too much.

A few time ago Kotomitsuki was announced as a futur great Ozeki even higher and Hakuho should be Yokozuna this year!!!

I think we should also add wakanohoo to this list. All three are in Makushita next basho, right?

Kageyama did look quite powerful in his playoff match on day 15.

Thanks, everyone for all the information! ;-) Since I don't know those in the lower ranks, it's great to have info on the upcoming potential "stars!" I will keep my eye on them... (A yokozuna...) (or eyes)

魁狐, you may have heard from your other sources, but the November "Ozumo" magazine has a six-page feature on Sakaigawa Oyakata and his heya-ful of "Young Lions." Sawai, "Super Rookie" as the article calls him, has been the impetus of the new-found vigor at the heya.

Keiko is intense with moshiai fought like honbasho bouts. Heya leader, Iwakiyama, states quite frankly that "the atmosphere at keiko-ba has clearly changed from before. I cannot futz around [or else]."

Rookie Kadomoto senses the difference in another way. "The level of our moshiai is very high. You can tell that easily when you go to degeiko at other heya."

It's a good article, describing the keiko scene and giving the background as to how the oyakata got started and managed to collect this group of fine, young prospects.

Next basho will be one of the biggest challenges in his sumo career. He will have to face more experienced and tougher opponents. Will see if he will prove to be as strong as he looks. But I surely think he is a man others should start watching out for.

All the best in his way to the top! (Sign of approval)

Each basho is a greater challenge for Sawai but, in Kyushu, he not only survived by thrived as he rushed past a gantlet of some of makushita's finest. In achieving his zensho yusho, he convincingly beat such tough hombres as m7 Hokutoiwa and m26 Kitataiki, both of whose 6-1 records were blemished only by Sawai.

He also whupped young hopefuls, Tamanoi's irrepressible Shibuya (5-2) and small-but-tough Mongolian, Arawashi (4-3 w/ losses to Shibuya and Sawai). To top it all, as Kaikitsune mentioned, for his 7th bout, he was pitted against the best available one-loss rikishi he hadn't already faced, Satoyama, creme de la creme of the division.

Satoyama, though vanquished by Super Rook, has been promoted to juryo. Sawai is going to be joined near the very top of makushita by Hokutoiwa with Kitataiki not too far behind. In the magazine article, it was stated over and over that heya-mate Hochiyama, who once again blew an opportunity to become a sekitori, rarely beats Sawai in keiko. He, the ani-deshi and an acknowledged prospect, is the one who repeatedly pleads with the kid who can't even tie a chongmage for "Another bout, please!" not the other way around.

So the real test is yet to come. With a weak juryo division, that may not be for three or more basho when he will meet some makuuchi-level rikishi. However, through the misfortune of another, something propitious--maybe even "fateful"--has occurred. With Baruto's appendectomy, he will either be demoted to makushita or dropped to the very bottom of juryo. In either case, there is a very good chance that he will meet Sawai on the dohyo next basho. The way it appears, the only young rikishi that can "contend" with Sawai is Baruto. Sumo thrives on having rivals--set from as early as possible. Karma has put the two even closer to each other.

(Shaking head...)

Ms2w   Sawai		  Osaka	 Sakaigawa   06.04.1986	182   138
Ms3w   Baruto		 Estonia   Mihogaseki  05.11.1984  197,5 164,5
Ms12w  Kageyama	   Kochi	 Kasugano	09.03.1987	187   131
Ms49w  Wakanoho	   Russia	Magaki	  08.07.1988	193   144
Ms55e  Maenoyu		Mongolia  Takadagawa  28.04.1984  186,5   164

With props to Doitsuyama, who I lifted this from. (Shaking head...)

I'm pretty sure that this means 4 wins will be enough for both Sawai and Baruto to get into Juryo next Basho.

And there's also a good chance they will face each other.

I think it's remotely possible for Kageyama

too, although he would probably have to Yusho to get in.

Edited by Rijicho

These are comments by sumo kyoushuujo teacher oyakata after Kyushu 2005 about Sawai and

Kageyama. Amanogawa had translated these from some Japanese sumo magazine (can't remember

which one now) and sent me by email. All credit to her again (In jonokuchi...)

Kumegawa is Sadogatake-beya's former Kotoinazuma. Takasaki is former Oginohana

(Oginishiki's brother) and Yamahibiki is former Dairyu.

About Sawai:

When he was at Sumo Kyoshujo, he was diligent doing keiko - but not really so with basics

like shiko, although he did seem to favor moushiai. His sumo was very powerful. His lower

body showed good flexibility when he endured. It's a bit hard to tell if he's a serious

or frivolous guy [laughter] because I never see him talk much. ( by Yamahibiki )

He was not particular doing extra routine-keiko, but he definitely was the best among all

those new boys including college graduates. One good thing about his sumo is he already

has his style - migi yotsu. ( by Takasaki )

He is not that big, but his sumo-strength comes from the fact that he has his own style,

and he also has techniques. I'd suggest he should stick mean, he seems to have what it

takes - impetus, should I say. And I think he has this passion inside although he does

not talk too much.( by Kumegawa )

About Kageyama:

He has a different type of seriousness and diligence compared to Sawai. Sawai was

diligent ( at Sumo Kyoshujo ), but was not eager for extra work. But Kageyama obviously

looked very determined and serious about sumo. He did great in Kyushu - he has good power

and speed, belt work was good too. I think he'll be up in Juryo next year. ( Yamahibiki )

He can do any type of sumo and has a good physique. ( Kumegawa )

I like it how he shows aggressiveness. He wins his matches always by being aggressive. He

still doesn't have his own style but he sure will develop it soon. ( Takasaki )

---

They also list the top 10 future sekitori prospects and rank Sawai and Kageyama as number

1 and 2. I will write a separate thread on their comments about other prospects but as

this thread is dedicated to Sawai and Kageyama, I won't bring the others up here.

Arigato to Amanogawa and kiitos to you for bringing us these educated comments!

Looking forward to the other 8 top prospects!

Mainichi had a rare on-line article about makushita rikishi covering Sawai and Kageyama. Nothing really new about them in the article though but for future reference here are some snippets of the article.

Asashoryu and Kotooshu rose fast to sekitori class and are leading rikishi at the moment. Sawai and Kageyama have been coming up the ranks even faster. Both have a chance for promotion in the upcoming Hatsu basho which would mean a mere 1 year from the debut meaning 7 basho while Asashoryu needed 10 and Kotooshu 9. Sawai and Kageyama met in jonokuchi and jonidan but then the difference in rank grew so big that they haven''t met since on the dohyo. Kageyama commented that he was too eager to win (and hence lost) their encounters so far but looks forward to another meeting and catching up to Sawai in rank. "There is still difference compared to Sawai" he also states (but I don't know if he means the rank or ability). They make short one or two word comments to each other at shitaku-beya during honbasho evidently being conscious about each other's sumo.

Both got some taste of souken last week as they did some butsugari and also worked as tsukebito to their sekitori senpai. "I was a bit tense but this was a goo opportunity to feel the atmosphere" said Sawai with a smiling face.

Kageyama's oyakata ex-Tochinowaka says "He has character and earnest attitude. As a rival to Sawai they can both go above sanyaku"

Sawai needs only 4 or 5 wins while Kageyama would need 7-0 which is unlikely but still both do have the chance to get promoted.

Edited by Kaikitsune Makoto

Hatsu 2006 after day 4:

Being totally blindfolded when it comes to makushita, there is nothing too concrete I can comment about the content of their sumo so far in Hatsu basho.

Sawai has lost to Chiyotenzan and Kakuryu with oshitaoshi and hatakikomi. Tomorrow he goes up against 0-2 Kinkaiyama in a bout where both rikishi prefer migi-yotsu. Kinkaiyama was not very genki in Kyushu with shoulder problems and looks to be in trouble again. Sawai must win this one to have any concrete hope for promition to juryo as he will still have many tough foes including Baruto.

Kageyama on the other hand has gone 2-0 beating big and strong Rikiryu and high makushita regular Mongolian Musashiryu. Yorikiri and oshidashi. In fact Kageyama has no hatakikomi/hikiotoshi/tsukiotoshi wins so far during his whole ozumo career! So even without seeing the bouts one could assume he won those two going forward.

Tomorrow is a big test for Kageyama; physically, mentally and senpaitechnically. He is up against Dewaotori (2-0 at Ms8) who was his senpai at high school and according to the article Amanogawa translated, oyakata say Dewaotori has been able to defeat Kageyama regularly at keiko because of "senpai affect maybe". This is now the first time they meet at honbasho and Kageyama's progress seems to have been good so it will be very interesting to see how he can handle Dewaotori. Judging by the bouts I have seen, Kageyama should have good chances to beat Dewaotori but it will be the biggest test so far to see how good he really is already.