Sign in to follow this  
Yubiquitoyama

Kesho-mawashi for sale

I'm just checking out the views on the forum:

Some of you might remember how the Sumo Mailing list a couple years ago or so tried to buy a kesho-mawashi at sale on ebay, and failed, but not because no one was interested in paying for a share, but because of it (a kesho-mawashi of an early 19th century Ozeki) being VERY expensive.

Now there is a kesho-mawashi for sale on ebay again, but this time not one for any really great rikishi, and not one quite as old. Unless it's a fake (and nothing really points to that, although of course it's hard/impossible to know) , it should be a kesho-mawashi owned by (or at least intended for) the Komusubi Kanenohana of the 1950s (although there are earlier Kanenohana's he seems the most probable one) .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...4&category=4003

At already 152 dollars, it's already too expensive for me at least, but the thought I had was that forum members (who want to) pay a small sum each, so we'd buy the kesho-mawashi as a joint project. Personally I'd be prepared to pay at least 20 dollars (probably more, although my economy is strained), even if the likelihood of me even seeing it would be slim, just to be a part of actually owning one. Quite high symbolic value in my book...

Any other views on this?

Edited by Yubiquitoyama

Sure, 20 euros would be low enough for me as well! Any others? BTW, whose mawashi has it been? Anyone able to decipher the kanji? Amanogawa is asleep... ;)

Sure, 20 euros would be low enough for me as well! Any others? BTW, whose mawashi has it been? Anyone able to decipher the kanji? Amanogawa is asleep... ;)

Now, read this part of my message one more time :D

(I edited a couple of spelling errors though)

Now there is a kesho-mawashi for sale on ebay again, but this time not one for any really great rikishi, and not one quite as old. Unless it's a fake (and nothing really points to that, although of course it's hard/impossible to know) , it should be a kesho-mawashi owned by (or at least intended for) the Komusubi Kanenohana of the 1950s (although there are earlier Kanenohana's he seems the most probable one) .

I can add that this Kanenohana spent 42 basho in Makunouchi starting 1958.03 and ending 1967.01, with one basho (1962.09) as Komusubi.

Edited by Yubiquitoyama

Now, read this part of my message one more time :D

Errr... I'm trying to do too many things at the same time... :rolleyes:

Due to the rearrangement of the forum, I've moved this thread to Ozumo discussions.

Are there really NO ONE interested besides me and Kotoseiya? Or has this topic just been overlooked because of the new forum? The auction ends in three days or so. Please come with your opinions whether interested or not.

I'll have to pass on the project, but a quick question: am I seeing right that kesho-mawasi are one piece? (i.e. the apron and the sash are already joint together?) For lack of ever having seen one up close,I always assumed that they were a combination of sash and separate apron, tucked underneath the sash... but apparently not!

Cheers

Zenjimoto

I would definitely contribute. $20 or $30 (or the Euro equivalenet) seems totally fine.

Some practical questions, if we buy this together:

- Who will keep it? I assume Rijicho.

- Can we each get it for a couple of days? I'd be interested to check it out, but I don't know when my next (first) visit to Finland will be.

- We have to vouch to return it to Rijicho within an allotted time.

I'm a trusting person, but these are practical issues that should be resolved.

- Who will keep it? I assume Rijicho.

Thank you but I thought more about the originator of the idea. :-D

Current bid seems to be 152.50 USD so we would need still about five more people with their 20 dollars to even bid higher and who knows how determined other bidders are to possess this kesho.

I would be interested in this, just for fun!

I could pay 20 dollars, but I'm not sure how. There are probably simple ways to do this...

Well I'd contribute too with 20-30 dollars. There are probably some heavy postal expenses too though in addition to that 155 dollars even if it would go so cheap. But in any case if someone is making a bid on this item, I am ready to contribute financially to the purchase of it

1 hour ago, WANNAakkaido said:

So did anyone buy the mawashi?

Some Saudi prince got it for $183.50 17 years ago.  It was a fake.  It was really a window curtain.  The prince ate his losses (Happygoodbyes...)

Edited by Asojima
  • Haha 1