Sign in to follow this  
Kotoseiya Yuichi

New kesho-mawashi spotted

What kesho?

I'm confused...you don't see the picture? Or did you mean something else? (Punk rocker...)

I was confused too, since I saw the old picture, without kesho. The URL was the same, and apparently I had the old image in the browser cache. After I forced the image to reload, I can see Kokkai with kesho.

More new kesho-mawashi pictures; kudos to Naifuzan-zeki for noticing them first and bringing it up in the chat this morning. (Sign of approval) At long last, Masutsuyoshi got one, along with four others. I'll also include the new image of Wakatoba which was posted in another thread at the start of the basho...might as well have them all in one place. (And for the obsessive types among us, I'll point out that Wakatoba's image has changed slightly since it was first noticed...it's now 17 bytes larger, although there's no real visual difference, just the romaji version of his shikona using a slightly bolder font now.)

And curiously, there are now eight rikishi with placeholder images in their profiles, namely Kenko, Rikio, Wakashoyo, Sumiya, Konishiki, Kotobeppu, Sunahama, and Kotogaume. All of these except Sumiya are retired, of course. Stay tuned, I guess...

Anyway, the new kesho images, in order of banzuke ranking...

20001161.jpg 20030006.jpg
20001781.jpg 20001170.jpg
20000133.jpg 20001190.jpg
Edited by Asashosakari

(...) Kaido's has been around for some time - pretty hard to forget.

Same as Tamarikido's, it seems and probably the most horrible looking kesho I've ever seen...

Same as Tamarikido's, it seems and probably the most horrible looking kesho I've ever seen...

Yeah, these Meiji keshos are really hideous. Actually, none of these new ones inspires me in ANY way at all... only Futeno's is at least bearable.

PS: The dog on Masutsuyoshi's kesho looks just like Masutsuyoshi - coincidence? :-D I am just glad they finally covered up that awkward undercarriage of his. The previous picture was not one to behold when eating... ;-)

Cheers

Zenjimoto

Edited by Zenjimoto

Nice pics above Asa but Kaido's has been around for some time - pretty hard to forget.

ANR

Not the picture. You remember the kesho from other rikishi from the same University having the same kesho-mawashi.

PS: The dog on Masutsuyoshi's kesho looks just like Masutsuyoshi - coincidence? :-D I am just glad they finally covered up that awkward undercarriage of his. The previous picture was not one to behold when eating... ;-)

Cheers

Zenjimoto

Not just when eating :-)

Nice pics above Asa but Kaido's has been around for some time - pretty hard to forget.

ANR

Not the picture. You remember the kesho from other rikishi from the same University having the same kesho-mawashi.

;-) Sorry :-D

ANR

Very likely not the same, but similar. I doubt Tamarikidō has a keshō with big letters Kaidō on it. ;-)

Actually, none of these new ones inspires me in ANY way at all... only Futeno's is at least bearable.

I like Futeno's too. This is actually one kanji ( in running hand ) - "water 水". His name is Izumi with this kanji ( very irregular way of reading, needless to say ). And his hometown has this kanji in its name too. Simple, but looks stylish, IMHO. ;-)

Very likely not the same, but similar. I doubt Tamarikidō has a keshō with big letters Kaidō on it. ;-)

Fake-Tamarikido.jpg

Tamarikidō HAS Kaidō in big letters on the mawashi, if I'm not approaching analphabetism... (ankanjiism?). What is going on here?

Tamarikidō HAS Kaidō in big letters on the mawashi, if I'm not approaching analphabetism... (ankanjiism?). What is going on here?

Tamarikido's real kesho mawashi was probably in the laundry basket when the picture above was taken. :-O

Tamarikido HAS Kaido in big letters on the mawashi, if I'm not approaching analphabetism... (ankanjiism?). What is going on here?

Tamarikido's real kesho mawashi was probably in the laundry basket when the picture above was taken. ;-)

:-O Tsk, tsk...

Interesting idea though...I bet hardly anyone would notice if they did switch their keshos before the dohyo-iri.

BTW, am I the only one who likes Tochifudo's kesho? It looks pretty stylish to me. :-)

Edited by Asashosakari

Very likely not the same, but similar. I doubt Tamarikidō has a keshō with big letters Kaidō on it. :-O

You knew what I meant, you. ;-)

Does the tsuna-wearing dog seem a little disrespectful to the yokozuna rank?

Grand champion is a grand champion, even if canine.

a12.jpg

I knew I had seen that design before with the dog on it-

One of the pictures in my sumo book has Chiyonofuji congratulating tagaryu on his Yusho in front of his portrait,in which Tagaryu is wearing a Kesho mawashi with the same design.

A truck (Applauding...)  :-|

Perhaps he plans to get a job in road-haulage if sumo doesn't work out for him? :-D

The Kyokai extends its streak of banzuke releases with accompanying kesho updates to an impressive three! Three new pics this time around: Shimotori who seems to have a thing for black kesho-mawashi, Harunoyama in a spiffy new red one to commemorate his Makuuchi debut, and Futeno who's actually still wearing the same navy-blue kesho as two months ago but got yet another new picture anyway as he's finally ready for an oicho-mage. (A rather odd-looking one, though.)

Since the Kyokai overwrote Futeno's old pic with the new one (i.e. same filename), just scroll up a few posts to the big January update, as it now shows the new picture for him. Anyway, here are Shimotori and Harunoyama:

20002277.jpg 20001063.jpg
Edited by Asashosakari

The NSK site has once again updated some rikishi pictures with kesho-mawashi ones. Now they even have started on some of the Juryo rikishi, but they are still inconsistent... I can't really guess why for example Dewanofuji gets a new kesho-picture but Daishodai and Bushuyama still don't have one, despite having a few Juryo basho behind them.

Anyway, here are the five new I found (and I didn't search the entire gallery, so I might have missed one or a few).

Is Hakuho's some sort of spider? I kind of like it but I'm not really sure what it is...

Roho's kesho seems to have had a russian flag just sewn on in the middle :-O

20002320.jpg 20020065.jpg
20002308.jpg 20020080.jpg
20001064.jpg

@Yubi: I'd say this is not a spider on Hakuhō's keshō, but a Phoenix bird, a white one of course, just like his shikona. Watch Rohō's keshō, clearly a Russian Phoenix :-O , again like his shikona.