Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kotoseiya Yuichi

New kesho-mawashi spotted

98 posts in this topic

These patterns are called kamon.

D'oh! As soon as I see kamon written, I realize I've been mixing two words again. Kamon are the (two?) round symbols woven onto a sekitori's montsuki, right? Let's see if I can find an image. (I managed to turn this back to sumo, didn't I? :-) )

I didn't know all these words before, but now I know them in kanji too! Well, my (exceptionally good) new electronic Japanese-German dictionary knows montsuki (

Let's see if I can find an image.

I guess this black coat is montsuki and the white emblems are kamon. I've understood not only sekitori wear them but they are the festive coats of men in general. Much like dark suit on Western men.

kotomaru1.jpg

festive coats of men in general. Much like dark suit on Western men

What is, then, the Japanese equivalent for a man's tuxedo?

What is, then, the Japanese equivalent for a man's tuxedo?

Didn't come to think of that. How often tuxedo is used anyway? In my native Finland one sees it (very) rarely and even then a dark suit is always a viable option. I believe in many other countries these customs vary slightly.

This is going... :-) again...

Just wanted to say - lovely sig, Kotoseiya-zeki... (Sign of approval)

Just wanted to say - lovely sig, Kotoseiya-zeki... (Sign of approval)

Not nearly as lovely one as this.

croatia-flag.gif

Not nearly as lovely one as this.

croatia-flag.gif

(Heart) :-) (Shaking head...) :-P

I apologize for my lack of knowledge, here, but after searching a bit I cound't find what flag Manekineko-zeki is finding so lovely above... What flag is that?

In my search, I checked of course the Finnish and Swedish flags, even though I knew them already, and stumbled on this picture:

sweden_sydney_000924_ap.jpg

To give you a hint: Look for the location in Manekineko's profile...

Or back click on the image of the flag with your mouse and go to "Save picture as". The name of the country comes up there.

Here, have some flags. I do have more if needed.

canada-flag.gif england-flag.gif france-flag.gif germany-flag.gif hungary-flag.gif
Canada England France Germany Hungary
israel-flag.gif japan-flag.gif liechtenstein-flag.gif netherlands-flag.gif philippines-flag.gif
Israel Japan Liechtenstein Netherlands Philippines
russia-flag.gif spain-flag.gif sweden-flag.gif united-kingdom-flag.gif united-states-flag.gif
Russia Spain Sweden United Kingdom United States
Edited by Kotoseiya Yuichi

I'll dig up a thread dormant for six months again against my own recommendations as these kesho spottings might as well be kept inside a single thread.

Still no kesho images of Dewanofuji, Masutsuyoshi, Futeno, Kaido, Kokkai, Wakatoba & Kakizoe. (In a state of confusion...)

But Iwakiyama has a new kesho:

iwakiyama2.jpg

Toyozakura follows his brother to makuuchi with a stylish kesho:

toyozakura.jpg

Giant Towanoyama has now also a proper image of him on kyokai's server:

towanoyama.jpg

Still no kesho images of Dewanofuji, Masutsuyoshi, Futeno, Kaido, Kokkai, Wakatoba & Kakizoe. (Shaking head...)

That's pretty lame. We are not exactly spoiled by the NSK site anyways, but one would think that they'd manage to put up a decent kesho shot AT LEAST after the rikishi in question has been a sekitori twice in a row, and MOST CERTAINLY for all the guys mentioned above, who are obviously sekitori to stay, or at least more than worthy of being depicted as such. (Sign of disapproval)

Still no kesho images of Dewanofuji, Masutsuyoshi, Futeno, Kaido, Kokkai, Wakatoba & Kakizoe. (Shaking head...)

That's pretty lame. We are not exactly spoiled by the NSK site anyways, but one would think that they'd manage to put up a decent kesho shot AT LEAST after the rikishi in question has been a sekitori twice in a row, and MOST CERTAINLY for all the guys mentioned above, who are obviously sekitori to stay, or at least more than worthy of being depicted as such. (Sign of disapproval)

Yeah. Masutsuyoshi's picture is from 1998 or so...

The one of Towanoyama above though actually came up already when he entered Makunouchi. The NSK have usually managed to get a kesho-mawashi picture at least of the Makunouchi rikishi. It's a pity they haven't noticed Wakatoba and Kakizoe yet (Shaking head...)

Edited by Yubiquitoyama

To be fair, Masutsuyoshi hasn't exactly been a Juryo regular yet, although they really should have gotten up a kesho image for him during his 5-basho stretch back in 2001. BTW, after we so brilliantly (cough, cough) predicted his big MK in Aki, I'm kinda curious to see what he'll do this time. (Shaking head...)

Edited by Asashosakari

I like Toyozakura's picture. Very colorful (Sign of approval)

To be fair, Masutsuyoshi hasn't exactly been a Juryo regular yet, although they really should have gotten up a kesho image for him during his 5-basho stretch back in 2001. BTW, after we so brilliantly (cough, cough) predicted his big MK in Aki, I'm kinda curious to see what he'll do this time. (Neener, neener...)

Frankly I don't really care whether a rikishi is a sekitori regular or not.... I think it is such a momentous occasion for most of these guys to become sekitori (considering the huge gap in status) that they should be afforded the proper treatment on the page. I know if I was a toriteki dweller who maybe makes it to Juryo just once, I would be peeved if my once-in-a-lifetime achievement would be dissed by the NSK web site by putting my picture up without kesho. :'-( (Depressed...) (In a bad mood...)

Cheers

Zenjimoto

You can find a brand-new kesho mawashi picture of Kakizoe on the NSK site now. Here it is:

20010023.jpg

You can find a brand-new kesho mawashi picture of Kakizoe on the NSK site now. Here it is:

20010023.jpg

Cheesy design, but at least his picture is up (In a state of confusion...)

Cheers

Zenjimoto

Time once again to revive this thread, seeing as the Kyokai has added two new kesho images along with the Hatsu banzuke. (Plus the shin-juryo images, of course, including Roho doing his best to stare like a psychotic mass murderer (Laughing...) - see here.)

Anyway, up first on the catwalk, we have Tamanoshima celebrating his Sekiwake debut in a stylish blue and (I guess) silver kesho:

20001783.jpg

And the other lucky recipient of a kesho image is Kokkai, who IMNSHO really shouldn't have picked a white kesho considering he's sporting a rather bright skin colour in the picture too. (Punk rocker...) Nice coat-of-arms on the kesho itself though:

20010003.jpg

And maybe they'll get up a kesho picture for Wakatoba one of these days, too... (Applauding...)

Edit January 19th: Fixed the links to point to the new NSK site.

Edited by Asashosakari

And the other lucky recipient of a kesho image is Kokkai, who IMNSHO really shouldn't have picked a white kesho considering he's sporting a rather bright skin colour in the picture too.  (Punk rocker...) Nice coat-of-arms on the kesho itself though:

What kesho?

What kesho?

I'm confused...you don't see the picture? Or did you mean something else? (Punk rocker...)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0