Sign in to follow this  
Kotoseiya Yuichi

New kesho-mawashi spotted

I browsed through the kyokai's banzuke pages and noticed that some of the pictures were updated. Few guys seem to be wearing a new kesho-mawashi on their official kyokai portraits while others (those with few basho under their belts in juryo) are now seen wearing kesho for the first time.

Here they are in alphabetical order:

Juzan in a cartoonish one.

juzan.jpg

Kasuganishiki's very tasteful heron kesho.

kasuganishiki.jpg

Shimotori in a replica of his do-beya Tokitsuumi's kesho; apparently from the same college or university.

shimotori.jpg

Takamisakari in a new... how shall I put this... strange design.

takamisakari2.jpg

Takanotsuru wears bright yellow which seems to be in vogue.

takanotsuru.jpg

Tamarikido's simple and yellow one.

tamarikido.jpg

Tochinonada's gone from blue to red. It suits him!

tochinonada2.jpg

Ushiomaru in excessively canary bird yellow! Uh... :-0

ushiomaru.jpg

Which one do you prefer? I think Kasuganishiki's kesho is very elegant. (Thumbs up...)

Regarding Takamisakari: What has gotten into someone? A slightly misaimed way of trying to get people focusing less on his Robocop anthics

Seriously, I don't care whether the Svastika is not originally a Nazi invention, or even if it's not in the same clock direction (which I don't know really). In my opinion, that is one strange choice of kesho-mawashi motive... I sure would have picked something else...

Digging up this old thread despite my own recommendations as I feel this didn't deserve a thread of its own.

There seems to be two new makuuchi portraits, viz. Hokutoriki & Iwakiyama who spent too long a time in his regular mawashi on kyokai's pages.

First Hokutoriki in his landscape themed kesho.

hokutoriki.jpg

Then Iwakiyama in his bride-like white kesho.

iwakiyama.jpg

As for Takamisakari's kesho-mawashi, the swastika-like symbol is the same one used to indicate a temple (buddhist) on a Japanese map.

Takami-zeki is from Aomori-ken and probably the Hirosaki area (since the bottom of his kesho reads Hirosaki something or other) and Hirosaki has a large number of temples for such a small city. It is a castle town and was a bit of a refuge for many samurai families from Kyoto during one of the many battles that were fought centuries ago for control of the old capital.

Takamisakari's design seems to be very fitting for a rikishi from that area. The kanji imposed over top of the swastika are the Hiro from Hirosaki and it looks like ..mi for beautiful. I may not have all the details correct but that is the jist of it anyway. He's showing pride in his hometown.

My thumbs up to Hokutoriki for his classic beautiful design (very tasteful and great color palette) and Ushiomaru, definitely the life of the party in canary yellow :)

Tamarikido's I find awful - at least the Universities could sticj to using their traditional insignia rather than poorly placed romaji... :)

Iwakiyama in white really looks a bit bizarre!  Hey, they never wash mawashi... so just how long you think this one will stay white?? ;)

Cheers

Zenjimoto

Hey, they never wash mawashi... so just how long you think this one will stay white?? ;)

They never wash shimekomi, the one used in bouts. I think they do wash kesho-mawashi if needed. How is silk washed anyway? I bet it's not just thrown into a washing machine! :-D

Once again digging up an old thread despite my own recommendations for not doing do. I found only three new official portraits this time.

First Takekaze with a kesho from a university (?). Does someone know which one?

takekaze.jpg

Then Asasekiryu. Very much like Asashoryu's old kesho! Just different colour, predictably red instead of blue.

asasekiryu.jpg

And finally Asashoryu's new portrait with the tsuna.

asashoryu.jpg

Juzan in a cartoonish one.

Once again I apologize for my rudimentary Japanese reading abilities -- can someone please translate what the letters on the bottom of his keshomawashi say?  TIA.

Why do you want to know this? The kanji are somewhat difficult to read for me. The first looks like

This time there seems to be only one new kesho shown on kyokai's pages, viz. that of Sumanofuji. I think I read somewhere a long time ago that his shikona consisting of five kanji (or is the middle one a katakana?) is the first so long after Chiyonofuji who also had a five-kanji shikona.

sumanofuji.jpg

I appreciate you adding the new kesho-mawashi, and Sumanofuji's is quite nice, but it did actually get up on the NSK already before the Kyushu 2002 tournament...

PS. Thanks for the shikona added to my avatar! (Punk rocker...)

PSPS. It's fully possible the ice hockey players actually DO live in that hotel you mentioned, so I suggest you stalk Forsberg as soon as possible. :-D The only info I have found though is that the players hotel lies in the outskirts of Turku.

This time there seems to be only one new kesho shown on kyokai's pages, viz. that of Sumanofuji. I think I read somewhere a long time ago that his shikona consisting of five kanji (or is the middle one a katakana?) is the first so long after Chiyonofuji who also had a five-kanji shikona.

Guest Tachiyama
Why do you want to know this? The kanji are somewhat difficult to read for me. The first looks like

This time there seems to be only one new kesho shown on kyokai's pages

So do you actually go through the kyokai page for every single sekitori looking for new kesho-mawashi, before every basho? This must require a lot of time... Or is there an easier way? :-D

So do you actually go through the kyokai page for every single sekitori looking for new kesho-mawashi, before every basho? This must require a lot of time... Or is there an easier way? (Blowing up furiously...)

Yes. All I have is surplus time. (Applauding...)

Wow! I never expected to see the name of Hirosaki here in this international forum! (Blowing up furiously...)

This is another geeky stuff, so skip this post if you're not. (Applauding...)

Itachi-zeki is right,

Edited by Amanogawa

This is another geeky stuff, so skip this post if you're not. :-/

[...]

Of course each

and every family also has its own family emblem up to this present day, like ones

you see in http://www8.plala.or.jp/biree11/tokusen.htm

Thank you from a Japanophile and geek! (Heart)

That link is great! (Applauding...)

Btw, Japan's every local government has its own emblem - is this common in many nations?

In Croatia, counties have their coat-of-arms and flags, and cities have their coat-of-arms... mostly traditional, or from past feudal families that ruled most of the county or owned most of the town. If you look at our national flag, you'll see that it has five small coat-of-arms on top of the checkered one, representing five main parts of our country: central Croatia, city-state Dubrovnik, Dalmatia, Istria and Slavonia...

Slovenian coat-of-arms has three stars (eblem of once powerful noble family - Counts of Celje) above Triglav, their highest mountain.

(Blowing up furiously...) , I know... :-(

Of course each and every family also has its own family emblem up to this present day, like ones you see in http://www8.plala.or.jp/biree11/tokusen.htm

These are the hanko, right? Used where a Western person would write a signature? Do Japanese carry those with them as they would carry, say, a pen?

In Croatia, counties have their coat-of-arms and flags, and cities have their coat-of-arms...

Same in Finland. Every province, county, town and municipality has its own coat of arms. For example this one's that of Lieto, my home municipality. He's Peter holding the keys to heaven. (Blowing up furiously...)

lieto.jpg

QUOTE Of course each and every family also has its own family emblem up to this present day, like ones you see in http://www8.plala.or.jp/biree11/tokusen.htm 

These are the hanko, right? Used where a Western person would write a signature? Do Japanese carry those with them as they would carry, say, a pen?

Well, they are not hanko ( but you do know we have "hanko"!! (Yikes...) )

These patterns are called "kamon ( ka

These patterns are called kamon.

D'oh! As soon as I see kamon written, I realize I've been mixing two words again. Kamon are the (two?) round symbols woven onto a sekitori's montsuki, right? Let's see if I can find an image. (I managed to turn this back to sumo, didn't I? :-) )