Sign in to follow this  
Guest shountaikai

Kotooshu ozeki right?..soon

Guest shountaikai

so the magic num is 33 right?? i thought..he's 10-5 12-3 and 13-2 so he's in!?? or no.. what happens next do they have to vote him into ozeki? or he need a yusho under his belt?

so the magic num is 33 right?? i thought..he's 10-5 12-3 and 13-2 so he's in!?? or no.. what happens next do they have to vote him into ozeki? or he need a yusho under his belt?

It's not quite that easy ...

Promotion to ozeki is seldom done with *less* than 33 wins in 3 basho. But it should also be 3 basho from a sufficiently high rank, the last one being sekiwake of course. If a rikishi reaches sekiwake during the course of the three basho, he must convince in some other way (like winning yusho, or getting more wins than 33). Being ranked at M5 two basho ago counts against Kotooshu, and perhaps even last basho as komusubi, although to a lesser extent.

It is also easier to promote directly after a really good performance, in other words a rising trend is good. If Kotooshu gets 8-7 next time he will have 33 wins in 3 basho, but will not be promoted. I think he gets promoted with 10-5.

Caveat: it is still possible that they do promote Kotooshu now. 35 wins is really good, and he has the desired rising trend ending with "yusho-equivalent" 13-2. But it's his first ozeki run, and since he has a really good starting position next basho, I think they can afford to wait.

Kitanoumi oyakata, chair of the Kyokai

-----------------------------------------------

(On Kotooshu this basho)

"This is an outstanding achievement. If he can come back with another 10 or 11 win record next basho, it means he has proved his worth."

I think we got to read between the lines here. Osh would have been considered with a yusho here, and/or an upset of Asa.

It looks like if he manages to come back and string 10+ wins next basho (giving him a total of at least 35 over the last 3 bashos), he will be considered for Ozeki. The trick is that there is no set requirements, so we'll have to wait and see

I think the general rule of thumb is 33 wins in sanyaku, not 33 wins as sekiwake.

That being said, I dont think 35 wins is enough in this case simply because he started the run from M5, and out of the meatgrinder. Perhaps that record would be enough if he started from, say, M2 or M3. Plus, for whatever it is worth, he had the questionable "win" against shuzan last basho, so it is really 34 wins starting from M5.

That being said, I think 8-7 (for 33 wins) definitely won't do it next basho. 9-6 is 50-50 (harking back to Kotomitsuki's situation), while 10 wins will seal it.

That being said, I think 8-7 (for 33 wins) definitely won't do it next basho.  9-6 is 50-50 (harking back to Kotomitsuki's situation), while 10 wins will seal it.

Promoting somebody after a 9-win basho would send a pretty bad signal, considering that 9-6 is hardly Ozeki-level sumo. Mickey's 9-6 in the middle basho was bad enough, but ending an Ozeki run on 9-6 is well nigh impossible, in my opinion.

Guest shountaikai

yeah lets hope! all the ozekis keep getin injured, katoban, losing rank, or retireing..we need some fresh ozeki's and my hope of Wakanosato becoming one is thin. ;-)