Sign in to follow this  
madorosumaru

Tamanoi Blog

Fans have been wondering what Tashiro, former Tooyama, has been doing since his retirement after Aki Basho. He has been rather coy, saying only that he is involved in numerous projects. We know that he is still the IT person for Tamanoi Beya, but he is also working at least part-time at an office. In addition, he is the author of his own blog, "A Former Sumo-san's Blog," which is rapidly gaining popularity. In it, he talks about the various "adventures" of a former rikishi, learning to live in normal society after years of being cocooned in the insular sumo world. However, the most popular feature remains "Food and Dining" as he goes around sampling and critiquing restaurants and food from across the country.

In a recent entry, he posted a picture of himself in shirt and tie--his normal work attire.

tida_0033.jpg

"People have asked, 'Do you wear a coat and tie now?' Of course, I do. Sometimes . . .

This is pretty much the way I look at the office. (laugh) Some of you regulars would probably want to ask, 'Where did you take that picture?' but . . . ."

He also talked about reading the newspaper. When he was in sumo, he only read the sports pages. Now, he feels he has to read the papers daily to be a functioning member of society. He doesn't want the people who are reading the blog for the first time to think he is such a "Super Dummy."

Talking about clothes, he also mentioned how cold the weather is. When he was a rikishi, he never felt cold and would never think of turning on the heating. These days, the first thing he does when he gets home is jump into a hot bath.

In an earlier entry, he wrote about rikishi being half naked all the time. They are running around shirtless in only a flimsy pair of shorts all year long except for the coldest days. This is not just in the heya building but also when they are doing chores outside. But, for whatever reason, nakedness is appropriate for rikishi. It does not seem lewd or unsightly. But, once a guy is retired, he has to be careful. Walking around like that without a mage would make him look like a pervert.

Finally, Tash had a little fun yesterday by calling Nov. 30 "National Apology Day." In addition to the yokozuna, a boxer named Kameda also chose the day to publicly apologize for his misbehavior. After an interesting discourse on the sumotori term "Gotchan," he concluded his entry with "Let's all go enjoy [on TV] the "Apologia Theatre" that is about to begin. It's nice to not be a part of the Kyokai anymore.

profileue6.jpg

Visit Tashi's Blog and Boost his Ratings

----------------------------------------------------

「世界の相撲ファンのみなさん、

これからも宜しくお願いします!」- 東桜山

"Sumo fans from around the world,

I hope for continued good relationship in the future." - Tooyama

I am sure he is going to be a somebody.

Not a super Dummy, no way. (Sigh...)

Gochan desu is "thank you". Have heard it several times.

Once I got an sumo-e-mail with "suimasen" - looking like "sumimasen" wrongly written, but it's not.

found that term on the blog as well in a comment. Sumo blogs are - great sources. I love learning by Sumo ;-)

Thank you for translating the part's I still couldn't understand by myself.

m(_ _)m ごちゃんです!

From the Jan. 1 entry of the Tashiro blog:

P1050211.JPG

New Year's Day is an auspicious occasion.

While in the happy mode, I would like to make an announcement.

In April, . . . .

I will be getting married!!!

profileue6.jpg

Official Access Count: 138,716

「世界の相撲ファンのみなさん、

これからも宜しくお願いします!」- 東桜山

As part of his new life, Tash has moved into a new pad. The other day, he held a little house-warming party. It started as a hankering for some chicken gizzards and the resultant shopping spree at the supermarket ended up with enough food for a paarty!

P1050456.JPG

Isoazuma and Ikeda at Tash's place.

P1050464.JPG

P1050462.JPG

Yummy stuff! Chicken gizzards, octopus, oysters, sausages, cartilages, pork innards . . .

The octopus was fresh so they had it as sashimi . . .

To wash all that down, plenty of spirited libations.

As you can see, Tash stays close with his former rikishi buddies. From time to time, he visits them at asa-geiko before he heads off to the office.

tama_0004.jpg

He attended the Tamanoi year-end party.

P1050409.JPG

Amanowaka in a "sexy" nurse's outfit.

Isoazuma: "C'mon. Not another prostate exam. Gimme a break!"

profileue6.jpg

Official Access Count: 142,740

「世界の相撲ファンのみなさん、

これからも宜しくお願いします!」- 東桜山

Quick trivia question: Who gave Asashoryu his first ever career loss?

Answer

Just thought it was interesting...

Quick trivia question: Who gave Asashoryu his first ever career loss?

Answer

Just thought it was interesting...

Definitely something to tell the grandkids. only 57 people so far have defeated Asashoryu.

Definitely something to tell the grandkids. only 57 people so far have defeated Asashoryu.

There's a current makuuchi rikishi with a longer career who has lost against fewer opponents.

(Hehehe...)

There's a current makuuchi rikishi with a longer career who has lost against fewer opponents.

(Hehehe...)

Don't you think it's unfair to take makushita tsukedashi entrants?

Don't you think it's unfair to take makushita tsukedashi entrants?

Unfair to whom? Anyway, I just found it cute to point out that the club of Asashoryu-vanquishers is not the most exclusive. The underlying reasons don't really concern me in this case.

OK, OK... I'm too lazy to do the research... Who??

OK, OK... I'm too lazy to do the research... Who??

Miyabiyama

01/08/08

It'll Be Hatsu Basho Soon!

6ed9582c063be8278de5434hx8.jpg

Hello!

This is Tashiro, the blogmaster.

The above picture is from the mochi-pounding that took place at year end.

Everyone assembled for a group picture. (Altho there are a few missing)

Hatsu Basho will begin next Sunday!

There are some intense keiko going on at the heya.

I will be reporting on the Tamanoi situation again later.

hijoguti10vz.th.gif

Tamanoi Beya

---------------------

「世界の相撲ファンのみなさん、

これからも宜しくお願いします!」- 東桜山

01/19/08

KP Duty

a6fc635cc11d584d421d248pm0.jpg

Hello!

This is Tashiro, the blogmaster.

First of all, something wonderful happened today!

Believe it or not, this blog took first place (in its category) for the first time since it was established.

The number of accesses yesterday reached an unbelievable 110,000!

Why all of a sudden, you may ask. I was pretty surprised, too. Apparently, there was a news item on Asashoryu-zeki on "Yahoo Topics" and Tamanoi Blog was listed among the links on that page.

Whatever the reason, I am tickled pink that so many people were made aware of the existence of this blog.

I just hope everyone will continue to visit this site.

Well, the title of today's blog is "KP Duty."

The other day when I visited Tamanoi Beya during asa-geiko, the guys on KP duty were preparing chanko in the kitchen.

Chanko duty is divided into several groups, and every four days, a group would be responsible for that day's meals.

When a rikishi is on KP duty, he will start food preparations as soon as he completes his keiko.

Since keiko begins with jonokuchi, they will be the first ones in the kitchen to start things going. They will rinse the rice, ready the pickled vegetables and otherwise prepare the ingredients for the meals.

* The final touches, including the seasoning of the food, will be the responsibility of the veteran rikishi.

tmbl3_007.jpg

Just the preparations--the washing and cutting--of the meat and vegetables can be quite a chore.

Finally, veteran Toshinyama-san makes his appearance!

tmbl3_004.jpg

He is making something in a small pot.

"Hey, Tash. Have you had breakfast?" he asked.

"No, I haven't," I answered.

"I'm cooking up something right now. Why don't you have some."

I went over to check out what he was making and . . .

tmbl3_005.jpg

It looked really, really tasty!!!

He took some of the stock from the chicken carcass that had been cooking all morning,

chopped up some of the ingredients from the day's chanko,

and added the leftovers from the previous night's dinner and Voila!

tmbl3_006.jpg

All done!

Just add some pepper to taste and bon appetit!

It was outrageously deelicious!

You can really get hooked on the "Off-the-Menu" specials at Tamanoi Beya!

hijoguti10vz.th.gif

Tamanoi Beya

---------------------

「世界の相撲ファンのみなさん、

これからも宜しくお願いします!」- 東桜山

relationship in the future." - Tooyama [/color]

As I have mentioned before, Tash has been ignoring the Tamanoi Blog in favor of his own personal blog which is doing gangbusters. From time to time, he will remember his friends and write something about Tamanoi and sumo. (Showing respect...)

Here is something from his January 15 entry:

tama_0008.jpg

Wow! It's been really cold.

I thought I was used to the cold temperature, but I have been getting less tolerant recently of the bitter cold.

Well, in any case, I visited the Kokugikan yesterday for the first time since my retirement.

Before I entered the premises, I was somewhat apprehensive, but being at the Kokugikan without a scheduled bout or any other responsibility is a rather pleasant experience. The feeling is what you would call "carefree."

I looked at the torikumi schedule and noticed that there were quite few Tamanoi rikishi on it so I went to cheer for them!

As I walked down the stairs of the hanamichi and glanced over, I saw a certain rikishi doing warm-up exercises.

As I surreptitiously snapped a picture, he caught sight of me and smiled . . .

tama_0009.jpg

"Hey, there! What are you doing?" he demanded.

"I'm here to watch some sumo." I replied. "Hmm, good for you," he said.

With the heating on full blast, it was really warm in the Kokugikan, so I went out for some air

and I saw two familiar-looking rikishi coming towards me!!!

tama_0007.jpg

I grabbed my camera for a shot . . .

"Hey, you over there! You sumo fan! Whose picture are you taking?" came the reprimand.

P1050499.JPG

They were Toshinyama-san and Shibuya.

Going sumo-watching is a lot of fun!

I think I'm going to sneak out and do it again.

profileue6.jpg

Official Access Count: 183,635

「世界の相撲ファンのみなさん、

これからも宜しくお願いします!」- 東桜山

Those that have followed this blog know that Tash has been a buddy of Tochiazuma since their school days. In recent years, he was a tsukebito/confidante and ghost writer for the former ozeki.

02/01/08

Tomorrow is the day!

Good evening.

Tomorrow is finally the day for me to say good-bye to my "mage."

This is the last day before the event but I am still frantically running around making final preparations.

tama_0029.jpg

If it's this hectic, I could easily lose sight of the fact that tomorrow is the dampatsushiki.

My tsukebito, Isoazuma and Nishitani, are getting my suit ready.

tama_0030.jpg

It is a weird feeling to think that, by tomorrow night, I wouldn't have my mage anymore.

I wonder what it would be like when that happens.

Well, I'll see you all at the Kokugikan tomorrow!

tochi_goods.jpg

A limited number of Tochiazuma Dampatsushiki collectibles will be on sale at the souvenir shop on the first floor of the Kokugikan. There will be other items available in addition to the ones shown in the picture above.

Here are some pictures from an earlier entry.

tochibl_0002.jpg

Tochiazuma commemorative pictorial and bottled water.

tochibl_0003.jpg

Tochiazuma Intai bath towel.

Another recent picture of Azuma.

tama_0023.jpg

A case filled with trophies won over the course of his career.

tama_0024.jpg

Edited by madorosumaru

Here is a picture of the freshly shorn Tochiazuma from his personal blog. He had said at the dampatsushiki that he felt "relieved and rejuvenated to have the same [short] haircut he had when he first joined sumo." He is now ready to dedicate himself to developing "deshi who can persevere."

tama_0031.jpg

Approximately ten thousand fans were at his dampatsushiki, filling the Kokugikan to capacity. Azuma thanked everyone for attending and wrote, "I am somewhat sad to not have my mage anymore, but [on the other hand] I can wash my hair everyday now. I feel so much better. Clean and refreshed." Yeah, out, out damn bintsuke!

His schedule is busy. The day after the hair-snipping, he was at two temples to do some mamemaki. Even retired, he is still in demand for the setsubun rite.

Then, he was off on a business trip to where else . . .?

tama_0032.jpg

OKINAWA, where he visits frequently after a basho.

"I really wanted to relax and have some fun but I was running around all over the place meeting people [on business]."

Thanks for translating. (In a state of confusion...)

Strange...he looks so different now....some others do not change much...

From the Tashiro Blog:

02/05/08

Tochiazuma Oyakata Dampatsushiki

tida_0060.jpg

Hello.

Sorry for the delay in updating the blog.

On February 2, Tochiazuma Oyakata's dampatsushiki was held at the Kokugikan. As an "OB" of the heya, I went there to help out.

In any event, it was a spectacular dampatsushiki.

I have quite a few pictures so I'll explain as I post them.

tida_0064.jpg

Tochiazuma Oyakata on the morning of his dampatsushiki. The fellow sitting next to him is an ani-deshi that Tochiazuma Oyakata was very close to, Kondo-san, formerly Azumaumi. I think they are wandering down memory lane.

tida_0061.jpg

The Kokugikan was filled to capacity. The hair-snipping was taking place at the center of the dohyo.

tida_0063.jpg

When the dampatsushiki was over, the arena suddenly got dark and Maeda Nobuteru-san of [the rock band] "TUBE" appeared on the dohyo. He had heard that Tochiazuma Oyakata had overcome countless injuries and difficulties during his active career and sang a song dedicated to his tenacity and courage. Tochiazuma Oyakata had tears streaming down his cheeks.

After the ceremony at the Kokugikan, there was a party held at a hotel. A large number of guests came to celebrate the occasion.

tida_0065.jpg

Singers Hosokawa Takashi and Kawanaka Miyuki performed on the stage. It was quite a grand party. There were guests from Hokkaido to Okinawa and even from foreign counries to honor Tochiazuma Oyakata. It, once again, showed his tremendously wide appeal to people everywhere.

tida_0062.jpg

Here is a picture of Tochiazuma Oyakata in a tuxedo with his hair cut short. With him are the members of [the band] "Mongol 800," who had come all the way from Okinawa for the occasion.

At a later date, I will write about some of the memories I shared with Tochiazuma Oyakata.

profileue6.jpg

Official Access Count: 188,325

「世界の相撲ファンのみなさん、

これからも宜しくお願いします!」- 東桜山

With him are the members of [the band] "Mongol 800"

Bad omen for Ozumo?

From the Tashiro Blog:

02/06/08

The Diligent Student

The other day when I visited Tamanoi Beya, Takaazuma from Brazil was hard at work writing at a desk in the keiko-ba area.

tida_0057.jpg

I thought he might be writing a letter or something, but when I approached, it appeared as though he was taking a test.

"Hey, Chris. Whadja doing?" I asked.

tida_0059.jpg

"It's Kumon," (academic prep class) answered Takaazuma.

I guess, in addition to sumo keiko, foreign-born rikishi must also overcome the language barrier. I was impressed by his dedication.

In his case, Chris commutes to the neighborhood Kumon class every week with his bookbag slung over his shoulder.

"Homework. Very difficult."

Gambare, Chris!

He had made efforts to study Japanese in the past, but those were for picking up girls.

This time, he is serious about learning the language.

On his lesson sheet . . .

tida_0058.jpg

It's (his scribble) kinda cute. I was really moved by the sight of him studying so diligently.

profileue6.jpg

Official Access Count: 193,912

「世界の相撲ファンのみなさん、

これからも宜しくお願いします!」- 東桜山

Azuma Is Not An "Amabolist," at least, not anymore.

It was reported earlier that the closely-cropped and slimmed down Tochiazuma is in Okinawa. Here is something from his personal blog.

Hello,

I understand it has been snowing and quite cold in Tokyo.

The weather in Okinawa is not that good but the temperature is around 17 degrees. It's a bit chilly but you can still go around in short-sleeves.

I had some free time [last] night so I went to a restaurant that I frequent.

tama_0033.jpg

They served me a super-sized sandwich, but I'm not [an active rikishi] anymore so I could eat only two slices . . .

Note:

amabolism - the pursuit of eternal anabolism.

amabolist - one who is dedicated to the tao of amabolism

amabolic - one whose zeal in pursuit of amabolism reaches jihad-like proportions.

oh my. he looks like a little boy with his hair so short. Makes me wanna cry

<sniff>

He somehow looks nicer then in his active days.

Now without all this pressure he must be relaxed for the first time.