Sign in to follow this  
madorosumaru

Tamanoi Blog

Only 10 large pizzas, was that enough?

Per rikishi, of course! (Clapping wildly...)

B-) Of course now it makes since. (I am not worthy...)

Only 10 large pizzas, was that enough?
probably worth diddly squat but an ear to the Adachi concrete tells me the Tamanoi ozeki is the proud owner of a new 10 million yen Hummer.

It makes sense. They've got to get the pizzas back to the heya somehow. (I am not worthy...) Expensive, though. 10 pizzas/ 10 Million Yen Hummer = 1 million Yen per pie. B-)

Edited by Takanorappa

probably worth diddly squat but an ear to the Adachi concrete tells me the Tamanoi ozeki is the proud owner of a new 10 million yen Hummer.

There goes his yusho prize money.

The animal or the machine?

(asking cause the topic was food....think about Beluga Caviar...takai desu ne...)

Edited by ilovesumo

The animal or the machine?

That would be an expensive lobster. B-) They're talking about the car.

Should we send Amanowaka and the boys one of these, so that they don't get jealous? B-)

You never know... B-)

Edit: maybe it's a Koi-Hummer, or a special Sumo-Hummer they feed until it reaches 200 Kilos... (I am not worthy...) Lunchtime...

And, ugly car.... (Clapping wildly...)

Edited by ilovesumo

05/29/06

Finally, A New Udpdate

b17c5cf7b56ffaa09a6b633c058d31.jpg

Hello! This is Tooyama.

Pardon me for the long absence.

The network at Tamanoi Beya has finally recovered.

For a cyber-addict like me, life without the internet was truly inconvenient.

I am going to be updating like a madman starting today!

Well, at least that

Edited by madorosumaru

05/30/06

May 30

f892ba5a489c55824da5d8978c52af.jpg

Hello! This is Tooyama.

Just now as I was writing my blog, a lightning bolt struck, without any warning whatsoever, right near the heya.

It was so loud that it scared the bejeezus out of me.

The blog I am writing today is the one that disappeared in midcomposition yesterday.

I am trying to write it again today.

Since I couldn

05/31/06

Thanks For All Your Support

fdf777b0eb5df9790e12e8f6a9a358.jpg

Photo: courtesy of T-san. Toshinyama and Tooyama on the way home from basho.

Hello! This is Tooyama.

Today is May 31. It is a typical end of the month but

thanks to all of you, this is Tamanoi Blog

06/03/06

We Went to a Concert

23bd2472684353543f797a856298dc.jpg

Hello! This is Tooyama.

This is the second year for the blog! Gambarimasu!

Well, we went to a concert held here in Tokyo yesterday.

The picture above shows a scene from the event, which was magnificent.

Whose concert was it?

Kimura Koji.

He is not that famous yet so many of you may not have heard of him, but . . .

He is the father of a certain rikishi!

Whose dad is he?

He is the father of Omusashi-san from Musashigawa Beya.

tmbl_102.jpg

Photo: From left, Tooyama, Hoshiazuma-san, Teruazuma-san and Omusashi-san.

I don

you know, when tooyama is in pictures with other rikishi he always seems to be alot bigger then most of them, might someone please tell me how tall and how much does he weigh?

also i notice that tochi is never in the pictures with them except offical pictures, suggesting that he doesnt hang out with them away from the heya, i was wondering, does this sort of fraternization not normally happen between lower division rikishi and sekitori? why is this the case when the people in question are likely of the same age group? and would probably have alot in common

Edited by _the_mind_

you know, when tooyama is in pictures with other rikishi he always seems to be alot bigger then most of them, might someone please tell me how tall and how much does he weigh?

At 188/161, he is the 2nd tallest (Yoshiazuma - 197) and the 2nd heaviest (Shibuya 168) of the 19 Tamanoi rikishi. He 8-10 Cm taller and 30-40 Kg heavier than most of his stablemates.

Relationship in sumo between sekitori and non-sekitori is similar to that between officers and enlisted men in the military. They don't hang together. In fact, the lower level rikishi are assigned as tsukebito to tend to the needs of the sekitori. As indicated elsewhere in the thread, Tooyama is one of four Tamanoi rikishi assigned to Tochiazuma. The sekitori would often take one or more of his tsukebito with him when he is invited out to an official sumo function or to dinner with sponsors. You may have noticed that Tooyama almost always accompanies Azuma when he goes to Okinawa. The other tsukebito that is always with the ozeki is Isoazuma, who acts as the personal valet. He helps Azuma dress and carries his bags when he travels. As such, he was the only Tamanoi underling rikishi to go to Las Vegas last fall.

Tooyama's relationship with Tochiazuma is particularly strange since they were classmates in junior high and high school and were on the sumo team together. Azuma joined the heya after high school while Tooyama went on to Meiji University where he was the captain of the sumo club.

It was Tochiazuma that called Tooyama and persuaded him to turn professional after graduating from college. Here is a summary of an article from last month.

Tooyama remembers that day from eight years ago. The phone rang and it was from Tochiazuma, who was a sanyaku-level rikishi at that time.

"You can be a salaryman anytime. Why don't you come over and join our heya."

Although he had decided against that route once before, this time he thought, "Why don't I try and see how far I can get."

Tooyama and Tochiazuma were classmates at Meidai-Nakano Jr. and Sr. High and were the only members of their class on the sumo team. They called each other [by the last names of] Shiga (Azuma) and Tashiro (Tooyama) [as Japanese students are wont to do]. Until the second year of junior high, Tashiro was the stronger of the two, but once Shiga started training with the rikishi at his father's heya, Tashiro could not keep up anymore.

They were buddies, who had endured daily 10-hour training camp sessions together in high school. Shiga graduated and joined Tamanoi Beya. Tashiro went his own way to Meiji Univ. "I thought I would get sumo out of my system with four years at Meiji." Instead, he watched his erstwhile classmate climb the banzuke ladder. He and others on the sumo team had called Shiga "Mr. Five-thirty"--meaning he will one day become a rikishi that would appear on TV after 5:30 p.m.--a sanyaku. Tashiro got the urge: "Maybe, I can do it too."

Once he joined the heya, he would call his old friend, "Sekitori" or "Ozeki," just like everyone else. Azuma went up to him and told him he didn't have to do that. "It's OK just to call me Shiga," but Tooyama insisted and persisted. Azuma, however, would call him, "Tash" [instead of the customary "Hey, you." (Applauding...)]

Tooyama told the reporter, "Time flies. We're both now 30-year-old veterans. I just want to give it one last try to become a sekitori."

thank you both of you for the info

very strange indeed tooyama and tochi's relationship or lack there of. sounds very much like tochi was willing to treat him as a friend, and tooyama took his place with all the other non-sekitori, i suppose to not look like he is getting favoritism? ......i dont get the chance to actually watch him fight, does anyone think he might make juryo anytime in the near future? or is his sumo just not good enough? i do very much enjoy his blog, i wonder how much it would change if he did become sekitori.

Because of the traditional sumo custom, Tooyama and Tochiazuma cannot be overt or even ostensible buddies. However, they have devised an uniquely sumo-appropriate relationship. As mentioned earlier, Tooyama is one of the four tsukebito for the ozeki. Isoazuma is the "personal valet" and Nishitani is the "manservant" who does menial chores like preparing the bath and running errands. Toshinyama, the senior member of the quartet, is the "butler" in charge of the group.

Tooyama is like a "military aide" or a "personal secretary." He is around to provide for the little needs of the ozeki like handing him some water or a towel. Before the torikumi, he helps with the tactics and acts as a sparring partner. And, of course, being a college grad and an accomplished writer, he ghost writes Azuma's blog. As such, his role is "subordinate" but not "servile."

In the capacity of "secretary" or "aide," he gets to accompany the ozeki to various functions and to interesting places. He always goes to Okinawa with Azuma when the ozeki wants to relax and also to meet with major heya sponsors such as T-shirt-ya. Also in Okinawa are the technical people who work on the Tochiazuma Blog. As you have read on the Tamanoi Blog, there is quite a bit of wining and dining involved in these tasks.

So, in this way, Tochiazuma is giving his old friend "perks" not available to other rikishi of the heya. In the private brain-storming sessions for the blog or during their frequent travels together, they can perhaps share moments of memories and friendship.

If Tooyama becomes a sekitori, the nature of the blog would change entirely. It would be more of a "personal" blog and not one that would depict the camaraderie of the heya. An obvious example is the Musashigawa Beya Blog, which is written by three people--an outsider, a jonidan rikishi named Jiguruma and, more recently, Miyabiyama. The outsider writes about how much fun it is to watch sumo and be with sumotori. Jiguruma is Musashigawa's version of Tooyama, writing about all the escapades of his fellow "Young Guys." Miyabi, is capitalizing on his recent success and popularity by writing about his personal feelings and his insatiable mania for pachinko.

when watching asageiko at Tamanoi, the main pair (not just one) I have seen prepping the water (sekitori do sometimes DRINK - (not only spit out water)) have been Toshinyama Isoazuma. Tooyama has done this duty but on the times I've been around - not that much at all. Especially so for the old heya.

It is also Toshinyama I see helping the O with his warm up and stretches - Nishitanai and Isoazuma too (doesn't Isoazuma remind you of Ronnie or Reggie?). Tooyama, yes, but far less often IIRC.

In Tooyama's own words (as translated by yours truly):

Tamanoi Blog, July 12, 2005

When I was doing tsukebito duties (I am off right now due to injury),

Nishitani took care of bath and miscellaneous duties.

Isoazuma carried the zabuton and towels.

Tooyama was the warm-up opponent who was responsible for tightening the mawashi.

Together with Toshinyama, the

do either of you think that Tooyama and the group of tsukebito give tochi advice for the impending fight before he goes down front? like formulating or suggesting a game plan for his fight of the day, like a particular attack to try or watch out for?or is that rediculous to take advice from someone 3 or 4 divisions lower then you and should be the sort of advise only taken from an oyakata? just wondering what they do when they are in the back waiting for the fight to come up and they all are standing around after warm-ups. tochi seems like he is always in his own zone anyway, but i wonder if they plan or suggest a specific course of action beyond "get out there and kick his ass today!!!"

Hmmm, I don't know about that one. However, my pondering is perhaps slightly related. I wonder if Tochiazuma gets his tsukebito to fight like his competitors in practice? You know, it he has trouble with Kotooshu then does he get someone to wrestle like Osh? Or does the opportunity to do de-geiko satisfy that problem. What got me thinking about this was how back-up bench players in the NBA have to do that in practice to test the main team. I know that Sean Marks (San Antonio) has to play like Yao Ming in practice or Shaq at another time just to prepare Tim Duncan for who he'll be facing that week or in the next game.

However, my pondering is perhaps slightly related. I wonder if Tochiazuma gets his tsukebito to fight like his competitors in practice? You know, it he has trouble with Kotooshu then does he get someone to wrestle like Osh? Or does the opportunity to do de-geiko satisfy that problem. What got me thinking about this was how back-up bench players in the NBA have to do that in practice to test the main team. I know that Sean Marks (San Antonio) has to play like Yao Ming in practice or Shaq at another time just to prepare Tim Duncan for who he'll be facing that week or in the next game.

In the previous post, there was a link to an article about Kaisenzan, Kaio's former tsukebito, that answers that question. Among other practice routines, they do what is called "simulation," where the sparring partner acts out the role of the opponent. Here is that link again.

Edited by madorosumaru

06/10/06

Takei Sensei

bb29133130a237be61b9eb71440bb9.jpg

The picture shows a dirt-smeared Shibuya during butsukari keiko.

Hello! This is Tooyama.

I

Here is the archival entry from last August.

8/24/05

Alma Mater

Good evening! This is Tooyama!

We did not have keiko at the heya yesterday and today so

Tochiazuma-zeki, Shibuya, Nishitani and I went to Meidai Nakano High School for keiko.

We cannot use the keiko-ba at the heya until after we hold the dohyo dedication tomorrow.

Therefore, we worked out with the high school students at my alma mater.

Tochiazuma-zeki and I are both alumni of Meidai Nakano and

this rare visit brought back a lot of old memories.

There are many award certificates decorating the keiko-ba.

Some are from as far back as the 1960s.

There are even some old nameplates. It is a keiko-ba full of nostalgic thoughts.

Today, I would like to write about an anecdote from Tochiazuma-zeki and my school days.

The years we were there were the heyday of Takei Sensei as the coach of the sumo team.

Keiko consisting of 50-60 bouts daily were commonplace. We would practice so hard that

it would not be an overstatement to say that we were there not to study but for sumo.

However, every so often, Sensei would be away from the keiko-ba for teachers

tad0752gs.jpg

Tochiazuma with Takei Sensei. May 2005. (Photo from Azuma Blog)

Azuma delivered the eulogy at Takei Sensei's funeral: "He taught me everything I know. I have his teachings etched in my heart as I devote myself to further self-improvement. I hope he will continue to watch after me from his place in Heaven."

Takei Sensei had a long and illustrious career and sent numerous pupils to Ozumo. Over 2000 people attended his wake and 600 were at his memorial service. Among his former students are the Hanada brothers (Wakanohana III and Takanohana) as well as the currently active Tochiazuma, Tooyama, Kaido, Tamarikido and Wakatsutomu.